Much Lower Tax, Fees and Port Expense After Booking

bobandsherry

We booked a cruise on Horizon for Nov 2019. I've been checking rates and saw that the current total price was the same. Well, not so fast....

In looking at the rate details I noticed that the "taxes, fees and port expenses" based on new booking is $127.40 pp (total of $254.80). For my booking I paid $284.25 pp (total of $568.50), which is $314 more than today's rate. Like, WTH?

Is it reasonable to think Carnival will give an OBC on my account due to them lowering these fees?

We booked a cruise on Horizon for Nov 2019. I've been checking rates and saw that the current total price was the same. Well, not so fast....

In looking at the rate details I noticed that the "taxes, fees and port expenses" based on new booking is $127.40 pp (total of $254.80). For my booking I paid $284.25 pp (total of $568.50), which is $314 more than today's rate. Like, WTH?

Is it reasonable to think Carnival will give an OBC on my account due to them lowering these fees?

Something is not right...port fees are showing $127/pp Did you book directly through Carnival?? If so call them. Or call your TA Since these monies are not cruise fare related...you should get a full refund back to you on any over billing refunded

As mentioned, if indeed the port fees and taxes decreased by that amount and if that holds until your sailing, you will be credited via OBC. However, that amount the OP quotes is far in excess of any port fee/tax adjustments we have ever seen previously. :confused:

Edit: alternatively, depending on what fare class you booked, you could always cancel and rebook to get the lower fees/taxes without having to wait until sailing.

Edited by joepeka

How did you book your cruise? I ask because I priced a cruise out once and knew that the cruise cost was (just gonna throw numbers out to demonstrate the points, don’t recall specific numbers) $3,199 and the taxes and fees were $250. I saw a TA offering OBC on a sliding scale so I expected to get the OBC amount listed above the $3,000 cruise fare mark. Except when they priced it out the cruise fare was $2,600 and the taxes and fees were $849. They basically were withholding extra money as fees and taxes to make the price lower to reduce the OBC. They said it was based on how the fare commissioned so I didn’t argue. But is it possible something like that is going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds like you booked with a travel agent where they put all the noncommision part of the bill in taxes/fees part.

The final amount for the cruise is the same though isn't it?

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Sounds like you booked with a travel agent where they put all the noncommision part of the bill in taxes/fees part.

The final amount for the cruise is the same though isn't it?

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Yes to both of your questions. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

This has happened to us on ncl. We booked a cruise about a year ago for next Christmas. They have since dropped a port and the port fees etc have dropped about $200 per person on their website. The general fare however has since gone up. They have not adjusted our port fees. I keep putting off calling, but if they do not adjust them we will drop the cruise. Just generally not pleased about them dropping a port.

This has happened to us on ncl. We booked a cruise about a year ago for next Christmas. They have since dropped a port and the port fees etc have dropped about $200 per person on their website. The general fare however has since gone up. They have not adjusted our port fees. I keep putting off calling, but if they do not adjust them we will drop the cruise. Just generally not pleased about them dropping a port.
No port dropped, but as someone mentioned it may be due to how commission is reflected in cruise price as this was booked through TA.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk