Room Service Fee

mjtrike97

Yes, this has been in place for awhile. I mean no offence to the original poster but I am surprised that people don't research this kind of information before travelling. I like to know as much information as I can before I sail and all this information is easily available on cruise company websites. This is not just in relation to this particular issue but so many comments on travel forums relating to easily found information prior to travel.

But, it's good that this was raised here again because hopefully others will now be more aware of this charge :)

No offense taken, but considering that I have sailed 5 times before and never have been charged I don't think asking when the change happened is a big deal. It was also not something I really worried about, I mean 8 bucks it not a lot of money unless you use room service a lot. Is this charge common on other lines now as well?

No offense taken, but considering that I have sailed 5 times before and never have been charged I don't think asking when the change happened is a big deal. It was also not something I really worried about, I mean 8 bucks it not a lot of money unless you use room service a lot. Is this charge common on other lines now as well?

Yes it is. On all the big budget lines at least (NCL, Carnival, HAL, etc). Some do have a limited selection of choices that remain free, then an expanded selection with a cost.

Started out as a "late night" charge or $2-3....I guess when they saw folks were willing to pay that, they decided to make it for ALL DAY, except for a continental breakfast (cold stuff), and raised the prices.

Yes...it's getting more and more common on all cruise lines.

Perhaps it is also to discourage over ordering of food and food wastage. Perhaps with a charge people would think twice before ordering? I think this kind of charge is widespread now across cruise lines - except the higher end cruises.

It may have that effect, but no, it's simply the lines adding another revenue stream.

Yes it is. On all the big budget lines at least (NCL, Carnival, HAL, etc). Some do have a limited selection of choices that remain free, then an expanded selection with a cost.

I don't agree with this: HAL, Cunard, Princess, P & O, Celebrity, MSC (with Fantasia cabin) etc., don't charge for room service! This is why, I have not been on a RCCL ship this year and have instead been on the MSC Divina and am going Holland or Princess in December!

I believe this is a part of a saving exercise with RCCL. A lot of changes lately including charge for room service, service charge now on speciality restaurants, all Guests in cabin required to buy drinks package if one buys, higher charges on entertaining rooms.

The list goes on..............

I believe this is a part of a saving exercise with RCCL. A lot of changes lately including charge for room service, service charge now on speciality restaurants, all Guests in cabin required to buy drinks package if one buys, higher charges on entertaining rooms.

Revenue enhancement, not savings.

Perhaps it is also to discourage over ordering of food and food wastage. Perhaps with a charge people would think twice before ordering? I think this kind of charge is widespread now across cruise lines - except the higher end cruises.

Actually I was thinking the way to do it is to think ahead and stock up on non-perishable or refridgeable items you will consume in room over the next day or so you can minimize the impact... So it might actually encourage the opposite.

Entertaining rooms???

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app