Pre-Made Sandwiches in the LIDO - Lack of a Made To Order Sandwich Bar

Tried to eat one pre made sandwich on the Veendam recently. I emphasize "tried". Just awful......

They did have a made to order line available.

I suffered a back injury before boarding and could not stand there long enough to try one.

Oh my god, what did you do?? That's terrible that you weren't able to use the made-to-order sandwich bar, but the pre-mades were not to your liking. Personally, I refuse to tolerate any cruise ship that doesn't have a tableside made-to-order sandwich trolley.

Oh my god, what did you do?? That's terrible that you weren't able to use the made-to-order sandwich bar, but the pre-mades were not to your liking. Personally, I refuse to tolerate any cruise ship that doesn't have a tableside made-to-order sandwich trolley.
;p;p;pLOL!

I have a spinal condition. Threw my back out picking up a 45 lb piece of luggage day before the cruise. Thought I would be okay. I wasn't. Suffered with intense pain the whole trip. My fault alone. I know better. Getting help from my neurologist now that I am home. Thanks for asking.

I remember when the change was first made. Here’s a blast from the past:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2241401

As others have said, HAL will accommodate special requests.

Happy Sailing!

Thanks for the memories. It was earlier than I thought, 2015, not 2016. Interestingly, I was one who criticized the initial move to the pre-made sandwiches, but soon changed my tune after sampling them. Maybe the OP would have changed his mind too if he'd actually tried them.

Lol!

But in any case, on the Zaandam last week they had a different carvery meat each day there by sandwich fixings and you could have a custom sandwich made with that. They were also doing special grilled cheese sammies. This may have been just for cold weather Alaska. (Good with soup.)

I didn't look too closely at any of this, but DH likes sandwiches and he came back to the table with some good-looking custom jobs. More was available than on our cruise last fall.

This was my experience on Maasdam a couple weeks ago too going in the opposite direction as Zaandam (which we actually passed off the coast of Mexico). I don't personally remember the sandwich bar to which OP alludes and I've seen references to before, but you can certainly have a sandwich made to your liking to a considerable degree on a dam ship.

I can't believe this prompted an actual post though.

This was my experience on Maasdam a couple weeks ago too going in the opposite direction as Zaandam (which we actually passed off the coast of Mexico). I don't personally remember the sandwich bar to which OP alludes and I've seen references to before, but you can certainly have a sandwich made to your liking to a considerable degree on a dam ship.

I can't believe this prompted an actual post though.

Pre-made sandwiches are great to “grab and go” for storing in your stateroom for a late night snack! But I’d never actually plan to eat one for lunch/dinner when there are so many other fresh options available on a HAL cruise: the Dive-in, the pizza parlor, the dining room, and of course, the hot buffet!

Last week there were both pre-made as well as custom built sandwiches in the Lido on Veendam. I liked the interesting combinations available in the premade sandwich section. Brie and Pear anyone?

As far as trays go, I brought my own. It not only makes a nice suitcase divider but is a great way to transport 2 juices and 2 cups of coffee back to the stateroom to start the day.

I lost count of the number of people who asked me where I got my tray.

Another good tray trick - take the one from under your ice bucket. It’s small, but works great for a couple of coffees and danish, especially if you’re taking it back to your cabin.

HAL used to have a sandwich station in all of its Lidos, where a cook would make custom sandwiches. A few years ago they replaced it with a small selection of pre made sandwiches. For those that like a BLT on untoasted and soggy white bread the pre made are fine. I used to like being able to order a Pastami on rye or perhaps a Reuben or Rachel. Like many changes on HAL, it is no more.

Hank

The OP is apparantly one of the professional complainers you often encounter onboard.

I can only advise him/her to start getting a life because suffering a cardiac arrest due to the sandwiches not being made to order is not a good way die....

Agree completely, as I do not make my cruising decisions based on a particular line/ship having or not having made-to-order sandwiches ... or sandwiches at all!!! (y)(y)(y)

I also like the ready made beer that comes ready to drink in a bottle. Ditto the Gin that comes to me with a piece of ice and lime too. And as for the ready made beds every day - WOW!

Lol So true!

Is this a joke? Why did you not just make your own sandwich? There is bread and buns available plus meat, salad bar, cheeses, sauces, dressings etc. Do you have someone at home who makes your sandwiches? Can you guarantee that any other line that you cruise with will make your sandwich for you?

Ditto[emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our last Holland America cruise I was greatly disappointed to see that the Made To Order Sandwich Bar had been discontinued and substituted with Pre-Packaged Sandwiches. We have been Three Star on Holland America for many years with well over a hundred nights on this cruise line. We will not take any more Holland America cruises as long as the Made To Order Sandwich Bar is a feature of the past. This is one reduction in quality that we will not tolerate. We do not go on cruises to eat Pr:mad:e-Made Sandwiches

We don't go on cruises to eat sandwiches..period..lol

We don't go on cruises to eat sandwiches..period..lol

I have a tendency to agree with you. I can eat sandwiches at home.

The only reason I even tried one of the pre-made sandwiches as I saw little else that appealed to me one day at lunch. It wasn't very good at all.

Cold cuts okay, bread was hard as a rock, and some sloppy bread dressing that was just not very appealing.

Is this a joke?

That is exactly what I thought initially. Surely OP can't be serious about 'never cruising HAL again' because of pre-made sandwiches.:confused:

But to each their own I suppose..

I have a tendency to agree with you. I can eat sandwiches at home.

The only reason I even tried one of the pre-made sandwiches as I saw little else that appealed to me one day at lunch. It wasn't very good at all.

Cold cuts okay, bread was hard as a rock, and some sloppy bread dressing that was just not very appealing.

What a silly argument. I can eat Lobster at home and it will be much better then any lobster we can get on HAL (or most other lines). And its the same with steak, lamb chops, etc. But at lunch we often prefer a sandwich to the same old daily chicken served on the buffet line. One saving grace for HAL is their Dive-In burgers which are actually pretty decent.

As to cold cuts, give me decent sliced ham, pastrami, good corned beef, turkey, etc. and I am a happy guy. Not sure why anyone would prefer the same old baked/broiled chicken served nearly every day of the year on HAL luncheon buffets. I would also love to have a nice shrimp salad at lunch, but haven't seen that on HAL for many years. Now, if you do have shrimp salad you will need a magnifying glass to see the shrimp.

Hank

Now we’ve only been on a few cruises. I’ve had a sandwich exactly once. I like to eat a sandwich once in a while. But with all the choices available, for me, I’d pick something else. Sandwich for you. Sushi..Pizza... a burger ..taco bar... and yes..Tired old chicken for me. Good thing we have choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums