Ship sets sail at 6:30 pm but early dining is 6 pm

DukeASUGirl

I have two small kids, so we chose the 6 pm seating. We decided to go with the traditional dining (despite having cruised with NCL so we're used to Freestyle) because both my daughter and I have food allergies (mine developed just this past year -- so I didn't have them the last time I cruised) and we figure it will be safer/easier to just have the one server and maitre d' to deal with.

But now I'm second-guessing myself. It's the kids' first cruise, so will they be missing out on the fun of bon voyage if we're in the MDR at the time we sail? Should we just plan to go to the Anytime Dining that night instead? Can we do that, or are we stuck with a specific seating in MDR and otherwise we have to do the buffet? (a big no-no with food allergies)

If you select a pre-assigned dining time, you can't move to Your Time Dining at will... it's one or the other for the entire cruise. However, if you want to see sail-away, you have options... you can still go to the buffet, Guy's Burger Joint is open till 6:30 or so... you can pay for the Cucina or the steakhouse... so you're not totally stuck with eating in the MDR at 6 on the first night if you want to remain with early dining for the rest of the cruise.

However, if you want to see sail-away, you have options... you can still go to the buffet, Guy's Burger Joint is open till 6:30 or so...

Going to the buffet is not possible with our food allergies. Seated dining where we can speak with the server and pre-order our selections is the only thing safe. :(

Ah- good point about the allergies... however the other post from Jimbo is worth investigating, that dining that first night may all be YTD due to the sailaway time. If you've coordinated your allergy issues through Special Services at Carnival, it might be worth asking them about how you can accommodate eating in the MDR and sailaway. They may be able to confirm that the first night is YTD.

How does that work? Does anyone know if they do this on Inspiration?

Do not know specifically for Inspiration bit kn all our San Jun and Baltimore sailings it worked that way. Pretty sure they told us at check in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just letting you know that with AnyTime Dining you can still deal with one maitre d and wait staff. You just ask to be seated in the same area at dinner each night. We always do that. I don't know how the first night works with allergies but I know that after that night you would discuss food needs the day before. Definitely get in touch with the special needs department to see how they can help you.

I have found first nights to be a problem if you have a food allergy, or in my case an autoimmune disease that requires a GF meal. Every time we asked the Maitre D to allow us to pre-order the first night dinner we were denied. They always said, "Just tell your waiter and he will take care of you." That is code for you will only have a few choices and we won't be bothered making the other stuff gluten free for you.

We solved the problem by going to the steakhouse the first night on every cruise. They always ask if you have any food allergies and they make whatever modifications are necessary. Since we are not at the MDR to pre-order for the next night, we make sure we go to brunch in the MDR the following morning and notify the person doing the seating that we need to order our dinner for that night. They send someone to the table with the menu and are happy to take your dinner order.

You actually can go to the buffet even with food allergies. Just find an employee up there and they will get a chef to go over what you can or can't have, depending on your allergies.

How old are the small children? The only sailaways I have attended were the inaugural cruise of the Star Princess from Singapore, and the sailaway from Venice. But in Venice, only from a good viewing point. So, how much would hey enjoy/appreciate it? More than a safe meal? EM

They're 6 1/2 and 8 1/2. I took my first cruise when I was 9 and my brother 7, and I remember really enjoying the sailaway. But it's been nearly 10 years since our last cruise (I found out I was pregnant shortly after our last one) and I've never sailed Carnival so I don't really know what to expect anymore.

I know someone mentioned the steakhouse for the first night, but the Inspiration is part of the older Fantasy class which were launched prior to specialty dining rooms being introduced. So the only options are MDR, buffet, pizza or the deli. Guys and Blue Iguana normally close by around 6. So my suggestion would be to contact special needs and go to the MDR even if it conflicts with the sailaway. The Maitre D is usually available in the dining room around 1pm for dining change requests and you could probably see them then also on embarkation day to see what can be accommodated for dinner that evening. Check the funtimes for times that the Maitre D will be available.

I have two small kids, so we chose the 6 pm seating. We decided to go with the traditional dining (despite having cruised with NCL so we're used to Freestyle) because both my daughter and I have food allergies (mine developed just this past year -- so I didn't have them the last time I cruised) and we figure it will be safer/easier to just have the one server and maitre d' to deal with.

But now I'm second-guessing myself. It's the kids' first cruise, so will they be missing out on the fun of bon voyage if we're in the MDR at the time we sail? Should we just plan to go to the Anytime Dining that night instead? Can we do that, or are we stuck with a specific seating in MDR and otherwise we have to do the buffet? (a big no-no with food allergies)

If you don't want to miss sailaway buffet if your option, or maybe grab burgers from Guys before it shuts down?

Not a big deal either way.

Dear DukeASUGirl,

Having a few options // choices as you pay for this cruise.

Your children are a gift .

On culinary choices first contact your Travel Agent/Agency asking on this.

With the time alert the Head Waiter for your section of your possible Lateness. We have always done this as a courtesy even when eating at the High Pay at Sea locations aboard. As that way they may seat someone at our table too.

On food allergies alert the Cruise line as most of the Major ones have a dedicated area for this to benefit the consumer..

EG: Kosher, Islamic, Indian etc...

Doing this way in advance alerts them in what the needs shall be .

By picking the selected Time Dining it is an actual great benefit having the same servers, and staff serving you, knowing all your needs, and providing a greater benefit of safe health for all youall.

Edited by AAAAmerican