Cruising on the Allure with 2 teenage girls (13-14 yrs). HELP!!

Hi everyone! Family of 4 traveling with two teenage girls (ages 13 and 14) on the Allure in a few weeks. Haven't cruised in years, so I am a bit lost right now. So many options to add, different types of dining venues, huge ships! Are formal nights a thing still or is it a lot more relaxed nowadays? Wow...so many excursions to pick from! Speaking of excursions... which would you recommend for the 13-14 age bracket? Looking at the Adventure Water park (Costa Maya) and X-plor (Cozumel) package, plus Blue Lagoon Dolphin encounter (Nassau). No idea what would be fun to do in Roatan. Don't know if the package with X-plor is too "extra" as teenagers say now, or is it okay for their age. Any thoughts/suggestions from someone who has done them in the past? Also, any other ship "musts" for their age? Any useful tips on how to survive a cruise with teens?:')

Sorry for the long post. Vacationing with teen girls is challenging - if they're not enjoying it, they make everyone else's life miserable! Help!

clear.png?emoji-loudcry-1721

:')

Hi everyone! Family of 4 traveling with two teenage girls (ages 13 and 14) on the Allure in a few weeks. Haven't cruised in years, so I am a bit lost right now. So many options to add, different types of dining venues, huge ships! Are formal nights a thing still or is it a lot more relaxed nowadays? Wow...so many excursions to pick from! Speaking of excursions... which would you recommend for the 13-14 age bracket? Looking at the Adventure Water park (Costa Maya) and X-plor (Cozumel) package, plus Blue Lagoon Dolphin encounter (Nassau). No idea what would be fun to do in Roatan. Don't know if the package with X-plor is too "extra" as teenagers say now, or is it okay for their age. Any thoughts/suggestions from someone who has done them in the past? Also, any other ship "musts" for their age? Any useful tips on how to survive a cruise with teens?:')

Sorry for the long post. Vacationing with teen girls is challenging - if they're not enjoying it, they make everyone else's life miserable! Help!

The ship has a magnitude of activities for teenagers and adults too.

They might prefer to stop onboard ship when in port.

They still do formal nights, but it's not a "thing" in the sense that you need to dress up if you don't want to. You can wear your normal clothes and be just fine, it's relaxed. For men it's suggested, at a minimum, pants/jeans and a polo.

Costa Maya, it depends on how active you want to be. Maya Chan is an all-inclusive (non-ship sponsored) beach excursion that is very highly rated. The water park would be fun, too.

Cozumel, just be aware of what is on the mainland and what is not. Most of the best excursions are on the mainland and require a ferry ride over that isn't the most pleasant. Plan on a long day in Cozumel if you do an excursion on the mainland. However, the excursions there can be spectacular and worth the ferry ride, at least once. XPlor could be a ton of fun. We did the Amazing Secret River (Rio Secreto) and it's one of the most memorable excursions we have ever done by far, I highly recommend it.

For Roatan, look at Little French Key. It's another non-ship excursion but also really amazing. They just had a bunch of baby jaguars born and you can interact with them, too.

As for the ship, I can't think of any "musts" other than wander the ship, explore it, and enjoy it. The AquaTheater and Ice Show are probably something you wouldn't want to miss.

Don't stress, you'll have a great time. The ship is big but not overwhelming or difficult to navigate.

It really depends on how active/adventurous you and they are. We did allure in March with our 14 and 16yo sons. Their 2 favorite things were very active - Wave jet tour (we did it in labadee, but they have them other places as well), and hands down the thing everybody enjoyed the most (even my very apprehensive wife) was discover scuba in Cozumel. We went with Alex scuba (a private contractor that is highly rated on trip advisor), and it was absolutely incredible. Our guide gave us every bit of info we could have needed, kept everybody comfortable, and the scenery was incredible.

The teen club was almost non-existent, most kids simply went there to hang out and then headed out. Most of the organized activities just puttered out as nobody really wanted to do them, but my sons both still had an incredible time.

There is so much to see and do, both on the ship and at the ports. I would suggest getting to the dive show early on if you can, as it can be cancelled due to winds, it was very good. Mama Mia was stunning, we were not sure if my boys would like it, and told them to just stay until intermission, then they could leave if they were bored, but both wanted to stay. The only other musical they have ever seen was the Lion king, and they were not impressed with that.

Why not involve them in choosing the excursions? Maybe they'll be excited to choose what they want to do, vs. sitting back and poo poo-ing whatever their parents anxiously picked out, hoping they would like it. Same for dining. And dig up some compasses to show them so they can see how much there is to do.

Why not involve them in choosing the excursions? Maybe they'll be excited to choose what they want to do' date=' vs. sitting back and poo poo-ing whatever their parents anxiously picked out, hoping they would like it. Same for dining. And dig up some compasses to show them so they can see how much there is to do.[/quote']

This would be my suggestion too. With DH I would select 2 or 3 excursions I thought I would enjoy, print the information and have him select the 1 he liked. I taught children the age of yours for 30 years and they will let you know their preferences if you afford them the opportunity.

There are so many things to do and enjoy on the large ships they will be anxious for their next cruise before this one is over. RELAX. They will enjoy, even if it is just hanging with other teens they meet on the ship.

As Bob suggested, check out the port of call boards and CC reviews of ports. Do not be concerned about formal night as it no longer exists as it did years ago. We normally wear dress slacks and nice shirt/top and you will see all sorts of attire. A few dress like they are going to clean house or do yard work but not most. Enjoy your family cruise.

Also, pick up a guidebook at your library and have the kids read it. You may find you don't need a "pricey" excursion at all! So many things are easy to DIY in the Caribbean. The more you know about the places you'll go, the less money you need to spend! Saving is always a good thing....

Both of your kids are at the right age to still enjoy the club....so let them go the 1st evening and get acquainted with the other kids on the ship!

Been there, done that with daughters who are now 23 and 20. I completely agree with the previous poster about getting them to the teen area on the first night. The do a good job of getting teens to interact and meet each other. If your daughters are like mine, they enjoyed having a group to hang with during the week, even if there was nothing formally scheduled for the teen club. They would sometimes have dinner with their friends which gave my wife and I a nice date night.

The ship has a magnitude of activities for teenagers and adults too.

They might prefer to stop onboard ship when in port.

No way! We're all getting out on every port. No one will be left behind. Just trying to make it as entertaining as possible to avoid the incessant whining.

They still do formal nights, but it's not a "thing" in the sense that you need to dress up if you don't want to. You can wear your normal clothes and be just fine, it's relaxed. For men it's suggested, at a minimum, pants/jeans and a polo.

Costa Maya, it depends on how active you want to be. Maya Chan is an all-inclusive (non-ship sponsored) beach excursion that is very highly rated. The water park would be fun, too.

Cozumel, just be aware of what is on the mainland and what is not. Most of the best excursions are on the mainland and require a ferry ride over that isn't the most pleasant. Plan on a long day in Cozumel if you do an excursion on the mainland. However, the excursions there can be spectacular and worth the ferry ride, at least once. XPlor could be a ton of fun. We did the Amazing Secret River (Rio Secreto) and it's one of the most memorable excursions we have ever done by far, I highly recommend it.

For Roatan, look at Little French Key. It's another non-ship excursion but also really amazing. They just had a bunch of baby jaguars born and you can interact with them, too.

As for the ship, I can't think of any "musts" other than wander the ship, explore it, and enjoy it. The AquaTheater and Ice Show are probably something you wouldn't want to miss.

Don't stress, you'll have a great time. The ship is big but not overwhelming or difficult to navigate.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. Hadn't considered the Rio Secreto excursion but does seem very nice. I'll check out Little French Key as well.

It really depends on how active/adventurous you and they are. We did allure in March with our 14 and 16yo sons. Their 2 favorite things were very active - Wave jet tour (we did it in labadee, but they have them other places as well), and hands down the thing everybody enjoyed the most (even my very apprehensive wife) was discover scuba in Cozumel. We went with Alex scuba (a private contractor that is highly rated on trip advisor), and it was absolutely incredible. Our guide gave us every bit of info we could have needed, kept everybody comfortable, and the scenery was incredible.

The teen club was almost non-existent, most kids simply went there to hang out and then headed out. Most of the organized activities just puttered out as nobody really wanted to do them, but my sons both still had an incredible time.

There is so much to see and do, both on the ship and at the ports. I would suggest getting to the dive show early on if you can, as it can be cancelled due to winds, it was very good. Mama Mia was stunning, we were not sure if my boys would like it, and told them to just stay until intermission, then they could leave if they were bored, but both wanted to stay. The only other musical they have ever seen was the Lion king, and they were not impressed with that.

Thanks! Really like the wave jet tour idea. Don't think they would go for the scuba diving. They are adventurous, but not that much. One of them is not such a good swimmer either, so I now she'll balk at the thought. Thanks for the rest of the tips! I already reserved 1st day Aqua show and Mamma Mia for my birthday/anniversary!

The zipling in Roataan is incredible and well worth it if that's something that interests you! 2 cruises and 8 ports later that is still our best highlight!

We'd definitely like to zip line. It's a matter of where. There are options in most ports.

Been there, done that with daughters who are now 23 and 20. I completely agree with the previous poster about getting them to the teen area on the first night. The do a good job of getting teens to interact and meet each other. If your daughters are like mine, they enjoyed having a group to hang with during the week, even if there was nothing formally scheduled for the teen club. They would sometimes have dinner with their friends which gave my wife and I a nice date night.

That sounds like a fabulous plan!

Why not involve them in choosing the excursions? Maybe they'll be excited to choose what they want to do' date=' vs. sitting back and poo poo-ing whatever their parents anxiously picked out, hoping they would like it. Same for dining. And dig up some compasses to show them so they can see how much there is to do.[/quote']

Oh believe me....they have been involved. However, they like quite a few options and since we can't do them all (and they're also not cheap) we have to somehow make smarter decisions and limit their options Then have them pick from those.

Also, pick up a guidebook at your library and have the kids read it. You may find you don't need a "pricey" excursion at all! So many things are easy to DIY in the Caribbean. The more you know about the places you'll go, the less money you need to spend! Saving is always a good thing....

Both of your kids are at the right age to still enjoy the club....so let them go the 1st evening and get acquainted with the other kids on the ship!

Great perspective. Thank you! Will definitely send them over to the club first night.

If the kids plan on attending the Adventure Ocean teen program would suggest they attend the meeting first night. Teen program is very relaxed and many kids make friends the first night to hangout with for the rest of the cruise.

Definitely doing that, then. Thanks!

This would be my suggestion too. With DH I would select 2 or 3 excursions I thought I would enjoy, print the information and have him select the 1 he liked. I taught children the age of yours for 30 years and they will let you know their preferences if you afford them the opportunity.

There are so many things to do and enjoy on the large ships they will be anxious for their next cruise before this one is over. RELAX. They will enjoy, even if it is just hanging with other teens they meet on the ship.

As Bob suggested, check out the port of call boards and CC reviews of ports. Do not be concerned about formal night as it no longer exists as it did years ago. We normally wear dress slacks and nice shirt/top and you will see all sorts of attire. A few dress like they are going to clean house or do yard work but not most. Enjoy your family cruise.

They are involved, but liked too many things on each port. So I decided to do some research, limit choices considering their preferences, reviews and budget. Once that list is pared down, they get to choose. I wouldn't want spending a ton of money on something we all liked from what it looked like on a brochure, vs. what others have actually done and recommend. Thanks for your thoughts! Appreciate it.

Thanks! Really like the wave jet tour idea. Don't think they would go for the scuba diving. They are adventurous, but not that much. One of them is not such a good swimmer either, so I now she'll balk at the thought. Thanks for the rest of the tips! I already reserved 1st day Aqua show and Mamma Mia for my birthday/anniversary!
When we did the wave jet tour, we were not sure how good it would be, but both boys thought it was the best thing they had ever done, and my wife would even like to do it again, and she is definitely not a thrill seeker. Can't spell for what it is like on other islands, but I am sure it can't be that different.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

The zipling in Roataan is incredible and well worth it if that's something that interests you! 2 cruises and 8 ports later that is still our best highlight!

We did zip lining in April 2007 in Roatan with South Shore Ziplining that we found on Trip Advisors. It was a blast!!! Highly recommend it.

Went to theAdventure Water park and zipline(Costa Maya) with my daughters,11 and 7 at time. It was great. My kids and I had a blast. Kids still talk about that place. Highly Recommend.