What has freaked you out on a cruise?

Love.II.Cruise

On our last cruise we did the ship tour (we've done many on different cruise lines). At some point, I heard this "WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP" sound. I finally pulled our tour guide to the side and asked" What is that noise?" She said, "The Propellors." I was shocked! It then occurred to me that we were indeed on a very low deck near the rear of the ship. Totally shocked, I turned to the couple next to me to tell them what the noise was. They were shocked!

The only other thing I can say that has shocked me on a cruise was when on a small cruise ship I was able to find the stabilizers extended out. You won't see it on a large ship, according to the captain of the Epic, but you can on something like Pacific Princess. I took pictures and brought crew out to see them! The crew didn't even know you could see them if you tried.

What has freaked you out on a cruise? I'd love to hear your stories - it can be about anything, including crew or other passengers.

Only once in all my cruising. I was on a trip to Antarctica and on the way home through the Drake Passage, we hit a huge storm. They confined us to our cabins, as the ship was thrown all over the place (the Captain said it was the worst storm he had seen). They would give us updates through the day through the speakers in the cabin. I had fallen asleep and when I woke up, there wasn't any updates. Since I was solo in the cabin, I thought they had abandoned ship while I was asleep, but thankfully an update came and all was fine. The ship, The Explorer, actually did sink in 2007 in Antarticia (all crew and passengers were okay), but that was many years after my trip,

We were on a transatlantic once in a gale and took a "rogue wave" broadside. The ship listed sufficiently to cause all of the glassware in the stateroom to become aireborne and smash and break against the cabin wall. Glass everywhere. The poor cabin steward spent the night cleaning up.

I can’t say it freaked me out but I was shocked once. I love to take photos of any ship I cruise on and my cruise on the Epic was no different. When I walked up to deck 19 to take a few pictures I was shocked to discover a completely naked lady sunbathing up there. Not just topless mind you, but stark naked, with the secrets of a woman on full display. She did have sunglasses on now that I think about it. :cool:

Only once in all my cruising. I was on a trip to Antarctica and on the way home through the Drake Passage, we hit a huge storm. They confined us to our cabins, as the ship was thrown all over the place (the Captain said it was the worst storm he had seen). They would give us updates through the day through the speakers in the cabin. I had fallen asleep and when I woke up, there wasn't any updates. Since I was solo in the cabin, I thought they had abandoned ship while I was asleep, but thankfully an update came and all was fine. The ship, The Explorer, actually did sink in 2007 in Antarticia (all crew and passengers were okay), but that was many years after my trip,

We were on a transatlantic once in a gale and took a "rogue wave" broadside. The ship listed sufficiently to cause all of the glassware in the stateroom to become aireborne and smash and break against the cabin wall. Glass everywhere. The poor cabin steward spent the night cleaning up.

Oh my! That is scary!

I will say on a crossing of the Tasman Sea we had 25 - 30 foot swells! They closed all bars on higher decks - everything was crashing and breaking. That night I had dreams that the waves were going to hit our balcony door. I'd love to hear more "weather related stories too."

I can’t say it freaked me out but I was shocked once. I love to take photos of any ship I cruise on and my cruise on the Epic was no different. When I walked up to deck 19 to take a few pictures I was shocked to discover a completely naked lady sunbathing up there. Not just topless mind you, but stark naked, with the secrets of a woman on full display. She did have sunglasses on now that I think about it. :cool:

LMAO!!!! That's a good one! I once did a cruise excursion on a sailboat out of St. Martin. There was a fully naked guy out on deck. Jokingly, I sent my husband out for something. He came back in and said, "Did you know there was a naked guy out there!?!" We actually both ended up outside and talked with the naked guy for at least 30 minutes. He was Canadian and was a snow bird. Very nice naked guy. ;p

I was allowed on the Bridge of The Pearl coming oout of Miami once. While we were still in the tidal basin, a sailing sloop crossed just in front of the bow. there was a lot aof swearing going on in several languages- non probably repeatable or translatable. The Harbor Pilot was on the radio to the Coast Guard with the registration number of the craft.

I was allowed on the Bridge of The Pearl coming oout of Miami once. While we were still in the tidal basin, a sailing sloop crossed just in front of the bow. there was a lot aof swearing going on in several languages- non probably repeatable or translatable. The Harbor Pilot was on the radio to the Coast Guard with the registration number of the craft.

Oh, I could see that not going well for the craft!

We sailed shortly after September 11th. we were out in the middle of the ocean, and my husband insisted that there was an "amphibious assault ship"/aircraft carrier accompanying us, protecting us. I don't know if that's true, but we did see the ship throughout the whole cruise, just close enough where we could see it. it was such a scary time.

We sailed shortly after September 11th. we were out in the middle of the ocean, and my husband insisted that there was an "amphibious assault ship"/aircraft carrier accompanying us, protecting us. I don't know if that's true, but we did see the ship throughout the whole cruise, just close enough where we could see it. it was such a scary time.

That is interesting. Where were you sailing to? I can't imagine sailing at that time.

I have two:

1. In 2008 I was on the NCL Pearl. I stepped out of the shower and into cabin only see that very ship on the news because a passage was missing. To this day they are not sure if the passenger jumped, accidentally fell off or was pushed. Her body was never found.

2. In 2012 I was on the Island Princess. I was walking the deck and the Captain announced there was a small boat at sea and was in distressed. Maritime laws according to the captain required him to rescue the 5 passengers on board. So he slowed the ship turned it around and back we went. After what I assume was making sure it was safe to get them on board we turn back around and was off again. The 5 passengers were Jamaicans and so they say were stranded for 3 weeks when their small engine gave out.

On our last cruise we did the ship tour (we've done many on different cruise lines). At some point, I heard this "WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP" sound. I finally pulled our tour guide to the side and asked" What is that noise?" She said, "The Propellors." I was shocked! It then occurred to me that we were indeed on a very low deck near the rear of the ship. Totally shocked, I turned to the couple next to me to tell them what the noise was. They were shocked!

The only other thing I can say that has shocked me on a cruise was when on a small cruise ship I was able to find the stabilizers extended out. You won't see it on a large ship, according to the captain of the Epic, but you can on something like Pacific Princess. I took pictures and brought crew out to see them! The crew didn't even know you could see them if you tried.

What has freaked you out on a cruise? I'd love to hear your stories - it can be about anything, including crew or other passengers.

Omg too close for comfort for me. Lol

I guess I've seen the movie Poseidon too many times

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok not on a cruise ship but back in the 80's at the well known all inclusive at the time in Guadeloupe

On the nude beach we were lying there enjoying the freedom and all of a sudden I heard some ask me if I wanted to play cards with him and his wife

I was not in a lounger but lying right on the sand

I look up and there is a 70 year old overweight naked man standing right next to me

I passed on playing cards with him but it took a few no thank you's to get him to leave and he only left when his equally naked wife moved him on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

These are great - both the scary and the funny ones!

Ours isn't nearly as dramatic, but on our first cruise, when we were passing over the straits of Florida, the captain announced our water depth as being 4,000 some odd feet! What!! My husband's and my jaws dropped. We just felt so little on that ship given that perspective. I knew the ocean was deep, but I didn't realize it got that deep in the Gulf/Caribbean. We still laugh about that.

Ours isn't nearly as dramatic, but on our first cruise, when we were passing over the straits of Florida, the captain announced our water depth as being 4,000 some odd feet! What!! My husband's and my jaws dropped. We just felt so little on that ship given that perspective. I knew the ocean was deep, but I didn't realize it got that deep in the Gulf/Caribbean. We still laugh about that.

Haha! That reminds me when we were on the ncl gem and the captain who was an amazing character one day in his updates said we are in the middle of no where and the closest land was the bottom of the sea! But he wasn't planning on visiting it that day. We didn't know wether to laugh or be worried 🙂

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

About 10 or so years ago my parents and I were on either the Spirit or the Dawn (don't remember which one) out of NYC and one night we had dinner with the First Officer and the Chief Engineer. We started talking about how much nicer ship stabilizers make cruising when the Chief Engineer told us that if the stabilizers malfunction, they can flip the ship. :o

I am really hoping he was just pulling our leg. Never heard of that ever happening.

About 10 or so years ago my parents and I were on either the Spirit or the Dawn (don't remember which one) out of NYC and one night we had dinner with the First Officer and the Chief Engineer. We started talking about how much nicer ship stabilizers make cruising when the Chief Engineer told us that if the stabilizers malfunction, they can flip the ship. :o

I am really hoping he was just pulling our leg. Never heard of that ever happening.

And you never will, won't happen. You would need a huge stabilizer fin to force the ship onto its side. The stabilizer doesn't reduce (and therefore can't increase) the ship's roll, it just changes the period (duration) of the roll, and takes it out of harmony with the seas forcing the roll.

We've been on several transatlantic cruises... I wouldn't want to hear that! :eek: Now I'll think about it on our next one!

I get freaked out everytime I sail when they make me get off the ship at the end of the cruise..........................
. Hmmm, I'd also be sad about being out of those skinny French Fries.

Haha! That reminds me when we were on the ncl gem and the captain who was an amazing character one day in his updates said we are in the middle of no where and the closest land was the bottom of the sea! But he wasn't planning on visiting it that day. We didn't know wether to laugh or be worried 🙂

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

:D:D:D That's awesome!

On my first cruise which was on the Disney Magic, we were sitting down for dinner within an hour of leaving Port Canaveral. We were seated by the windows. It was choppy seas and as we approached where we were seated,I could see out and had this overwhelming desire to throw up. I excused myself and went back out of the restaurant to compose myself. It lasted a few minutes but it did subside. When I went back in to the restaurant, they had shut the blinds so could not see out.

Anyway, 8 cruises later, I have never felt that sick again and rather like watching the ocean now especially during a meal.

We were on the Empress of the Seas during Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Now you can just imagine the seas, the rocking and rolling, but that was not what freaked us out as we both grew up on the water. The part that freaked us out was that before we made it home, Katrina made landfall, and we started hearing rumors of the complete destruction of New Orleans. Now, RCCL did a wonderful job keeping those of us informed that had family in the worst hit areas, but they were giving us all the information they had. The worst was not knowing for sure if our families had survived the storm. It was VERY long sail home.