Currency question for long cruise

Hello everyone. Last time I traveled through 10 different countries in a short period of time was before the Euro became THE currency of Europe.

I am looking for suggestions for a multi-country cruise. I do not want to use a credit card in some of the smaller ports (e.g. Panama, Uruguay). Have previous travellers found the need to exchange money in each port? ATM? I am reluctant to use US$ because of our poor exchange rate.

Suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

When we went " 'Round the Horn" and visited many countries we did not have a need to exchange currency into the many different nations' types... but we didn't shop much either. We used US$s for a few trinkets, small jewelry, etc, even though the exchange rate may not be the best it was probably better than exchanging and then having to exchange back.... and we used US$s for tour guide tips, nobody turned it down.

We did use credit cards for a couple of non-ship tours that the roll call arranged, but I think they were all pre-paid before the cruise.

I guess it mostly depends on what you would need to use the cash for. Usually you can exchange on the ship at a less than average exchange rate but that is the convenience margin and it is often worth it for having cash for small purchases or maybe taxis.

I recall there was an elevator at a port in Brazil that only cost a few cents, but they took a US $1 bill just fine and that was much easier than getting local coinage.

In other places, especially Europe, we use our debit/ATM card to extract cash from ATMs but we did not need to in South America.

Happy planning! m--

My guess is you are going on a South American cruise? I pre-purchased a fair bit of Brazilian and Chilean currency before I went on my cruise. In Uruguay and Argentina, shops took USD and Brazilian currency. It's been about 4 years since that cruise. I would check out the South American board (if that's where you're cruising to). I found a lot of very helpful info regarding ATM's, ie certain locations were known to steal your information if you used the ATM. For this reason, I didn't use an ATM at all. I'm pretty sure I didn't use a credit card either, because of the rampant scamming.

Where are you going? You mention Europe & Euros then Panama & Uruguay?

As far as the European continent, Euros will work everywhere. I was even able to use them in Croatia.

If you’re going to countries which each have their own currency you are probably better off using a local ATM for small amounts.

We did the SA cruise two years ago. We did not get currency for anywhere except Argentina and that was a mistake. USD are not only accepted, but preferred. In Argentina, you dinner tab was in Argentine Peso, but with USD written in. The exchange rate was great. Just remember that your USD must be in pristine condition, i.e., no tears, marks, excessive folds, etc. Enjoy.

Hi Evelyn, we're on the same cruise (except I'll be on from Seattle) and here's what I plan to do for currencies.

Our previous cruises in SA have shown us the posters here are right, US$ is typically accepted if not preferred in most of our ports of call. There are a couple of exceptions though, the most important on being the Falkland Islands. There, you'll need British Pounds if you wish to spend cash. If you are on a private tour there your operator should tell you that up front. Credit card usage can be spotty there too.

I don't think you'll be with us in Ecuador, but the currency there is the US$, so no problem. If you aren't traveling very far inland in any of the other ports, US$ will suffice mostly. Since I am going to Machu Picchu during the cruise, my FIL and I will be getting a few Peruvian Sol as we will be far inland and may want for a soda or trinket. Chile shouldn't be a problem in any of the ports we're stopping in although we did find that in Puerto Chacabuco (we aren't stopping here on this cruise) they wouldn't take US$, I think because it is rather remote. All the other Chilean ports we are stopping at were good with US$. We did not need local currency in either Argentina or Uruguay, US$ was happily accepted in each. As we are debarking in Brazil, we will get some Real for tips and little purchases of water, soda, etc. although they are otherwise happy with US$, even along the Amazon River.

The exchange rates are the most important things to be aware of so you don't get taken advantage of, no matter what currency you use. If you plan to carry a smartphone with you there are apps that you can download to stay current. I have found the front desk of the ship doesn't have a very favorable exchange rate and sometimes won't have the local currency, either at all or in small increments, especially if there is a large demand for it from passengers and crew. Often, there are ATMs at ports that you can get local currency from but do be careful using those.

I always plan what I intend to carry in foreign currency and order it from my bank before leaving. I've found I generally get the most favorable exchange rates doing this (you'll never get the published rates as they are for large commercial inter-bank exchanges). If I find I run a little short I can always use on of the local ATMs or just do without.

Hope this is helpful to you and others. :)

To the Falkland Islands, I brought British Pounds in five-pound notes only. The Falklands issue their own banknotes, which are difficult to exchange elsewhere. If you use only five-pound sterling notes, the worst you'll get caught with are coins, which are fine souvenirs. Or they might have UK coins if you prefer.

We haven't done South America yet, but we've done Europe and a Transpacific to Australia/NZ.

We figured how much we'd need for each country, then got them exchanged before the cruise. I think I ended up with New Caledonia, Australia and New Zealand currency.

Once we finished with New Caledonia and later Australian currency, I traded them in at the front desk and used them toward our onboard account. With New Zealand currency, we still have some, and I plan to exchange it on our next trip at the airport.

I visited Bank of America, and they kept me waiting for a long time, then told me they didn't know how long I'd have to wait. I should have made an appointment.

Because you mentioned the exchange rate, I am wondering why you wouldn't want to use your credit card when possible. That'll get you the best exchange rate, especially if you have a card with no foreign transaction fees.

Hello everyone. Last time I traveled through 10 different countries in a short period of time was before the Euro became THE currency of Europe.

I am looking for suggestions for a multi-country cruise. I do not want to use a credit card in some of the smaller ports (e.g. Panama, Uruguay). Have previous travellers found the need to exchange money in each port? ATM? I am reluctant to use US$ because of our poor exchange rate.

Suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you everyone for your good advice. We usually visit ATMs and use credit cards, but for small amounts of local money we have tried to use US cash...small bills. This time we have multiple stops in a few countries (e.g. Chile), so I thought we may spend more.

I will look into ordering some money here, and I like the idea of selling back to the front desk. Never even considered Falklands!

DH is a naval historical fiction aficiando,

so The Horn will be pretty special. I am just happy not to plan, shop or cook for 40 days.

Because you mentioned the exchange rate, I am wondering why you wouldn't want to use your credit card when possible. That'll get you the best exchange rate, especially if you have a card with no foreign transaction fees.

True. But I enjoy the markets, smaller restaurants etc. That credit card exchange fee adds up quickly, so we save it for big purchases. Like Moroccan rugs. LOL.

Edited by LovingRetirement2
Error

True. But I enjoy the markets, smaller restaurants etc. That credit card exchange fee adds up quickly, so we save it for big purchases. Like Moroccan rugs. LOL.

All the more reason you need to find one of the many credit cards that do not charge foreign exchange fees, particularly if you travel out of country often.

Just remember that your USD must be in pristine condition, i.e., no tears, marks, excessive folds, etc. Enjoy.

This. In Guatemala this year, there was a very small tear in an American $5 I tried to use. It was refused twice. They really do want brand new money.

This is a bank, Standard Chartered, but are you saying it is unavailable to cruise passengers?

I was told by our guide that there was no bank. I did not see the branch, and I walked around downtown Stanley a fair bit.

I was told by our guide that there was no bank. I did not see the branch, and I walked around downtown Stanley a fair bit.

Standard Chartered Bank

Ross Road, Stanley, Falkland Islands, FIQQ 1ZZ

Located near Government House and across from the Margaret Thatcher and Falklands War monument.

Standard Chartered Bank

Ross Road, Stanley, Falkland Islands, FIQQ 1ZZ

Located near Government House and across from the Margaret Thatcher and Falklands War monument.

If I had known, I would have dropped in, perhaps buy a bag of 1p pieces for souvenirs. I looked at the photos on Google, looks liken ordinary bank. I don't ee an ATM but possibly it is inside. Live and learn. Thanks.

From http://www.gov.uk

Money

The Falkland Island pound is fixed at a rate of one pound Sterling. Bank of England coins and notes are accepted in the Islands at full value. However, some travellers have experienced difficulties exchanging Falkland Islands’ notes at their bank on return to the UK. You should therefore limit the amount of Falkland Islands currency you carry on departure.

In Stanley, many of the main shops, hotels and restaurants will accept MasterCard or Visa. A small number of places accept debit cards. Credit and debit cards are not widely accepted outside Stanley. Check when making bookings and bring some cash in pounds Sterling (or US Dollars). There are no ATM cash machines on the Islands, but a cash advance facility is available at the bank using Visa or Mastercard.

Thank you everyone for your good advice. We usually visit ATMs and use credit cards, but for small amounts of local money we have tried to use US cash...small bills. This time we have multiple stops in a few countries (e.g. Chile), so I thought we may spend more.

I will look into ordering some money here, and I like the idea of selling back to the front desk. Never even considered Falklands!

DH is a naval historical fiction aficiando,

so The Horn will be pretty special. I am just happy not to plan, shop or cook for 40 days.

My bolding above. Another thought which I've used a time or two, you can always use any leftover local currencies as tips for the shipboard crew, especially if they're staying in the area for another cruise. Just make sure you know your monetary equivalencies.....eg: don't give 100 ISK and expect a big thank you (current exchange rate, that's about $1US).

Have a great trip!

I went on a trip to the South Pacific where I was going to need a multitude of currencies. I wound up getting a Charles Schwab debit card. It is offered free with a checking account which is free with a brokerage account-also free. The debit card has no foreign transaction fees and refunds all ATM fees monthly. It worked beautifully, and I am really happy with it! Although there is no local bank, I just mail in deposits. They gave me a free $100 deposit to either the brokerage account or the checking account as well. I think it is the high yield checking account that has no fees at all.

There are quite a few credit cards that charge zero foreign exchange fees. Some examples are the CapitalOne Master Card (this card is fee free), Chase Sapphire cards, Andrews Global Trek Visa, AMEX Platinum, etc. etc. For those that do frequent international travel it really makes sense to get one or more credit and ATM/Debit cards that do not charge foreign exchange fees. If your current cards have those fees, perhaps its time to consider another card :).

Hank

There are quite a few credit cards that charge zero foreign exchange fees. Some examples are the CapitalOne Master Card (this card is fee free), Chase Sapphire cards, Andrews Global Trek Visa, AMEX Platinum, etc. etc. For those that do frequent international travel it really makes sense to get one or more credit and ATM/Debit cards that do not charge foreign exchange fees. If your current cards have those fees, perhaps its time to consider another card :).

Hank

I believe that LovingRetirement2 is Canadian, in which case this article provides an overview of the small number of available Canadian credit cards: https://www.greedyrates.ca/blog/travel-tip-avoid-foreign-transaction-fees-canadian-credit-card/