What's in a name? (For Cunard's new ship)

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:03 PM.
108 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by ace2542
I can see the 4th ship doing transatlantic crossing during the time period of the Queen Mary 2 world cruise or maybe the Victoria doing transatlantic sailings and the new ship doing a world cruise with 3 ships doing world cruise.
I’d imagine if they wanted to extend the transatlantic season they’d take the time off QM2’s world cruise - why go to the expense of building a dedicated liner and then not use her for Atlantic crossings? Especially as those crossings would be in the stormier winter where her better seakeeping abilities would be put to most use! The QV and QE do crossings now only as a part of a larger cruise route that requires it, they don’t go across to New York and turn around and come back again.
238 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
Originally posted by SilverHengroen
I’d imagine if they wanted to extend the transatlantic season they’d take the time off QM2’s world cruise - why go to the expense of building a dedicated liner and then not use her for Atlantic crossings? Especially as those crossings would be in the stormier winter where her better seakeeping abilities would be put to most use! The QV and QE do crossings now only as a part of a larger cruise route that requires it, they don’t go across to New York and turn around and come back again.
The 4th vessel will be the second largest in the fleet larger than the Elizabeth and Victoria but smaller than the Mary. We will wait to see their move. There are any number of ways it could go.
139 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
The entire world will be her oyster.

I think the obvious choice will be Queen Anne.

I'm guessing Queen Camila is not timely.

Dark horse candidate is Queen Eleanor (of Aquitaine).

Most creative candidate is Queen Eadgifu (c904–after 966)

They could go in another direction: Queen of Anglia, Queen of Australia, Queen of India, Queen of Britannia, Queen of Canada, Queen of the Seas, my personal favorite, Queen of Boaty McBoatface, you get the idea.
238 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
Queen Anne is a good name though sad to say the queen will probably be dead by then so that might open up another couple of possibilities
Connecticut
13,712 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Or perhaps reach a bit further back and go for Queen Boadicea.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Six US Navy ships,
25+ cruises: Orient (1), Holland America (12), Norwegian (6), Carnival (1), Princess (1), Celebrity (3), Cunard (2), Royal Caribbean (1)
Boca Raton, Florida
2,915 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
QEII will be gone by 2022? Not if she takes after her mother! Otherwise, I like Berengaria. Of course the original was actually, first, the German Imperator (but you all know that). Frankly, I think the proposed external design for this ship is cruise ship / apartment block hideous. Just stick a Carnivore or HAL funnel on it!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Best regards,

Lou Betti
Boca Raton, FL
1 Posts
Joined Dec 2017
Hello,
i also think Queen Anne will be the name. But what about

"Princess Diana" ....at least it ends with an "a"
East Lancashire
2,754 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by bpz
Hello,
i also think Queen Anne will be the name. But what about

"Princess Diana" ....at least it ends with an "a"
Cunarders traditionally ended IA and it might get confused with being a Princess ship.

Queen Charlotte has a nice ring to it,
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QE2, 1991, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004 (twice) 2005, 2006, 2007 (twice) and 2008 (twice). Caronia 2002 and 2003, QM2 2009, 2010 (twice), 2011, 2014 and 2015, QV 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2016, QE 2012 (twice), 2013, 2015 and 2017. Braemar 2015 (once was enough) Oriana 2017, Good but I still prefer Cunard.
Pennsylvania
6,315 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
I guess people were more astute in the 70s...

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 8 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
ms Eurodam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
Pennsylvania
6,315 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by SilverHengroen
They had to be considering the mess of naming and liveries Cunard got themselves into!
"Branding? Bah!"
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 8 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
ms Eurodam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
108 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by Underwatr
"Branding? Bah!"
I have to say probably Carnival’s biggest success with Cunard is in this area, both in terms of re standardising the black and white livery with traditional black and red funnel, and (in particular) in onboard experience. It must have been very odd when you could book a cruise on QE2, Vistafjord/ Sagafjord, Princess/ Countess, or royal viking sun and in each case be sailing with ‘Cunard’ but have a completely different experience with each! And particularly as the Internet wasn’t available to offer the info you were looking for and it was brochure/ word of mouth only...
639 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Sorry fellow cruise critics, I cannot cope with emotions...

I followed the link in the original post.....
And found this....

It's a shame for the Brand #1 at sea if this is what the new Cunard ship is going to be.
The HAL Koningsdam "platform" is easily recognizable in this block of flats.
Please, please no Queens' names next to this awful example of cruise industry degradation.

Name it Oliver Cromwell, or Francis Drake, or simply as is: Betrayal of Cunard.

Thanks god, we'll not see this ship under Cunard flag for at least four years..

P.S.
The new ship in one picture:

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My cruise blog - my personal cruise travel
3,034 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Oh ronbe65 I am totaly and absolutley with you! I could life with the Top Heavy Bow, I could life with the ugly stern. I absolutley refuse to board this new Cunarder when there is no propper promenade deck! Queen with no view! Oliver Comwell- very matching- they guy who had done away with Monarchie - for short time anyway!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
New York, NY
810 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Everyone seems to be overlooking a choice that was already used, albeit without the "Queen." Berengaria. Former Hamburg America liner Imperator. Named for the wife of Richard the Lionheart.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Scamper
108 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
If they’re going to be stretching the Koningsdam design (which would be consistent with the cunarder being 113,000gt vs koningsdam’s 99,500gt) then I wonder if they might ditch at least one or two of the stack of cabin decks at the front as the extra length will allow them to include more cabins in the design anyway - they have repeatedly stressed this is only a preliminary rendering so far (and probably based on Koningsdam as the designs for the new cunarder don’t exist yet)
London
1 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
Since 1066 England has had two Queen Marys, two Queen Elizabeths, one Victoria, one Anne plus a Jane and finally a Matilda as queens regent rather than Queens consort. Scotland has one Mary, Ireland none and Wales is a Principality so no kings or queens.
Weeding it down Jane was only queen for a 9 days and usurped the crown from Mary I anyway, Matilda could qualify because she did rule for a time when she was getting the better of King Stephen but ultimately Stephen won and the name Matildais a little suspect anyway as she also gets called Queen Maude.
That leaves Queen Anne she was the younger sister of Queen Mary II so it would be very apt to name the ship after her.
Derbyshire, England
133 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Originally posted by Austcruiser84
Someone on another thread cleverly noted that the four forward suites on Deck 10 of QM2 are named: Queen Mary, Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Anne.

Based on the fact the other three ship names already apply to vessels still used today, Queen Anne certainly does seem the likely choice based on this observation.

Until Camilla decides at the naming ceremony to name it after herself. It's happened before (Queen Mary thought herself England's most loved queen and so we got RMS Queen Mary instead of RMS Queen Victoria).
Queen Anne seems a very likely and worthy name.

Regarding Camilla Duchess of Cornwall at the time of their wedding in 2005, it was announced that upon the Prince of Wales’s accession to the throne, Camilla would take on the title of HRH The Princess Consort instead of the traditional title of HM The Queen. Primarily taken to quell the hostility to the couple, it was a message that went widely unchallenged by the then ambivalent press and public, with many asserting it to be the right move. Ten years on Clarence House’s position persists: Camilla will become Princess Consort, not Queen.

Time will tell.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
David

Silversea x4
Cunard x19
USA
166 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Takes a lot of squinting (and it causes terrible wrinkles don't you know) to imagine attaching some bona fide British Royal connection to an American-owned, Italian-built, mostly Filipino-crewed, Bermuda-registered cruise ship. So she may be named "Queen Something or Rather" but surely the days of trotting out the Royal Family to christen Cunarders is long passed.

The obvious name is... QUEEN OF BERMUDA
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

FRANCE-RAFFAELLO-LEONARDO DA VINCI-STEFAN BATORY-QUEEN ELIZABETH 2-CANBERRA-UGANDA-GUGLIELMO MARCONI-EUROPA-CENTAUR-VISTAFJORD-BALTIKA-ORIANA-ACHILLE LAURO-OCEANIC-BRITANIS-AKDENIZ-ROTTERDAM-ST. HELENA-EUGENIO C.-BLACK PRINCE-BLACK WATCH-R7-PILGRIM BELLE-REGAL EMPRESS-VICTORIA-REGATTA-MAASDAM-CARONIA-QUEEN MARY 2-EURODAM-NIEUW AMSTERDAM-MARINA-RIVIERA-QUEEN ELIZABETH