Alcohol - bringing on ship

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:51 PM.
Pennsylvania
5,736 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
That seems to be limited to specific itineraries ( I haven't figured out which nor has it happened for us),
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
South Australia
8,102 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Originally posted by Norfolknights
My friend puts vodka with blue food colouring in empty listerine bottles.

If you don't mind slightly minty clear spirits then you're on to a winner!!!

Hardly necessary. We brought gin onboard. Heavily disguised in a Tanqueray gin bottle
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Queen Mary 2 2013, 2014, 2017
Liberty of the Seas 2012
Celebrity Equinox 2014 and 2015
Diamond Princess December 2016
Celebrity Silhouette July 2017
Oriana 1980
Princess Dawn 2013
Vale of Glamorgan
3,560 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by Norfolknights
My friend puts vodka with blue food colouring in empty listerine bottles.
If you don't mind slightly minty clear spirits then you're on to a winner!!!
There is no need to resort to smuggling on Cunard, they treat their passengers like adults.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
4 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
G'day ,
We are cruising on Queen Elizabeth from San Francisco Feb. 18' .
Are we allowed to bring on board on embarkation a few beers + extra bottles of wine?

According to previous posts this was still possible in moderation obviously.

Many thanks Zakkary.
Staffordshire
1,969 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Currently on QE and have never known any ship be so quiet in the bars in the evenings i.e pre dinner drinks or after the shows. Talking to many it is because of the recent price increase in drinks prices and seems many are going back to their staterooms and drinking alcochol bought onboard at Southampton. Can see if it stayts like this and is the same on other ships that Cunard will soon stop the bringing of alcohol onboard in line with many other cruise lines.
Mississauga, Canada
1,369 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
Originally posted by majortom10
Currently on QE and have never known any ship be so quiet in the bars in the evenings i.e pre dinner drinks or after the shows. Talking to many it is because of the recent price increase in drinks prices and seems many are going back to their staterooms and drinking alcochol bought onboard at Southampton. Can see if it stayts like this and is the same on other ships that Cunard will soon stop the bringing of alcohol onboard in line with many other cruise lines.
On my recent fortnight aboard the QM2 the bars seemed as crowded as ever prior to the Britannia second sitting. We frequently could not find seats in our two favourite rooms: Commodore Club and the Chart Room. One of the reasons we now choose second sitting is that it has been very difficult getting a pre-dinner drink prior to the first sitting when no-one is at dinner. At least there is a chance when half the ship is dining. I don't know how crowded the Grills lounge was; in the past it was always crowded prior to dinner but we were always able to get a seat.

I would expect the rather steep prices (especially for those of us whose credit card bill will be in Can.$ or £) might encourage more moderation. I will admit that had we not a good amount of OBC we might not have ordered as many of those lovely $14 + 15% cocktails.
Lancashire
310 Posts
Joined Oct 2009

We found the same, spend our evenings dancing so don’t drink much anyway but definitely lacked atmosphere in the ship in the evening and people weren’t drinking wine at our table apart from us as they said it was too expensive. Such a shame as Cunard is not a ship for big drinkers anyway in our experience but it is nice to have people around enjoying themselves. We enjoyed a pre dinner drink in the midship bar and that was nice but still not full. Commodores was nice but plenty of empty seats. Come on Cunard please take note that many peoples budgets just can’t afford these prices and in principle many won’t pay them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

=http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk][/url]g
BH13 - England
2,527 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by Tangoqueen
We found the same, spend our evenings dancing so don’t drink much anyway but definitely lacked atmosphere in the ship in the evening and people weren’t drinking wine at our table apart from us as they said it was too expensive. Such a shame as Cunard is not a ship for big drinkers anyway in our experience but it is nice to have people around enjoying themselves. We enjoyed a pre dinner drink in the midship bar and that was nice but still not full. Commodores was nice but plenty of empty seats. Come on Cunard please take note that many peoples budgets just can’t afford these prices and in principle many won’t pay them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Wine when dining too expensive?
Well here's a tipoff for the best value wine, it's the Cunard Amarone (there's only one on the Wine List - number sixty something). It's about the same price as if one purchased the wine in an Italian Supermarket, and then paid the Table corkage. Also a nice, reasonably priced, red for the table.

Have no problem with the drink prices. We are on a cruise and just wish to enjoy the total experience, without having to spend time counting pennies.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
There are those who have, and those who have Yachts.
1,157 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Just disembarked QE this morning.

From what I read above, there seems to be two QE's.

On mine, the bars were busy. The Grill Lounge was always busy between 7:30 - 8:30. Indeed, on the first sea day, the CC get together was difficult because the Commodore Club was nearly full and we struggled to get seats..

I also noticed that they had to put out extra temp seating for the Queens Room ballroom dancers.

One of the nights I stayed in the Yacht Club until 2:00am AND it was still in full swing when I left.

We had a dozen Commodores Wine bottles and a dozen Captains. It worked out well and the prices were fine.

On the second last day, we had a lunchtime cocktail party with 9 guests (folks we met in the bars aboard) plus two senior officers. A great success.

All in all, a great holiday (again), so we booked the same trip for next year, and the same trip for the year after.

Just be careful when booking to ensure that you get the right Queen Elizabeth.

Stewart
Staffordshire
1,969 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by BigMac1953

On mine, the bars were busy. The Grill Lounge was always busy between 7:30 - 8:30. Indeed, on the first sea day, the CC get together was difficult because the Commodore Club was nearly full and we struggled to get seats..

I also noticed that they had to put out extra temp seating for the Queens Room ballroom dancers.

One of the nights I stayed in the Yacht Club until 2:00am AND it was still in full swing when I left.

We had a dozen Commodores Wine bottles and a dozen Captains. It worked out well and the prices were fine.

On the second last day, we had a lunchtime cocktail party with 9 guests (folks we met in the bars aboard) plus two senior officers. A great success.

All in all, a great holiday (again), so we booked the same trip for next year, and the same trip for the year after.

Stewart
I agree that they put out extra seating in Queens room but many in the room itself or sitting in the extra chairs were not drinking anything at all either there to dance or just to watch. Granted the Grill lounge was busy prior to dinner but not being a very large room and only sitting about 30 hardly respective. We sat in Midships bar one evening from about 9-30 until past midnight listening to the harpist and at most at any time there was a maximum of 10 at most. The cruise itself was fantastic and the food in Queens Grill exceptional but was not the only one to mention how quiet Midships and Cafe Corinthia were in the evenings and one couple said they had spoken to Entertainments Manager about how quiet the ship was in the evening and she agreed and when she was told increase in drinks prices had made a difference she said she would report it back to head office.

I was on the right QE and perhaps the Commodore Club was full for CC meeting but not many turned up for the meeting and Commodore Club is a popular place, especially in the morning when CC meeting was held, for people reading and not neccessarily purchasing alcohol. But it is easy not to criticise expensive drinks prices when you book onboard and get $800 free obc so therefore not really spending your own money so has no effect.
essex uk and calabria italy
844 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by PORT ROYAL
Wine when dining too expensive?
Well here's a tipoff for the best value wine, it's the Cunard Amarone (there's only one on the Wine List - number sixty something). It's about the same price as if one purchased the wine in an Italian Supermarket, and then paid the Table corkage. Also a nice, reasonably priced, red for the table.

Have no problem with the drink prices. We are on a cruise and just wish to enjoy the total experience, without having to spend time counting pennies.
I pay 5 euro for a good wine in my local Italian supermarket,lol.
844 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by BigMac1953

Stewart
The other QE is an aircraft carrier,but don't worry the RN doesn't pressgang nowadays.
Overlooking the Straights of Dover
149 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by brian1
I pay 5 euro for a good wine in my local Italian supermarket,lol.
You've said that more than once in various threads about drink prices, but will you be carrying any of it on board when you embark in Singapore? It'd still cost somewhere north of €22 to drink in the restaurants: there's not much point lugging it half way around the world when Cunard themselves are selling something similar at a similar price, as PORT ROYAL has very helpfully pointed out.
844 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by kentchris
You've said that more than once in various threads about drink prices, but will you be carrying any of it on board when you embark in Singapore? It'd still cost somewhere north of €22 to drink in the restaurants: there's not much point lugging it half way around the world when Cunard themselves are selling something similar at a similar price, as PORT ROYAL has very helpfully pointed out.
Not in our restaurants.We don,t live in Rome or Milan.I drink vodka anyway and I was criticised for wanting to bring a few bottles on board.People that get bucket loads of OBC were expecting me to pay 57quid from room service for a bottle of Smirnoff,lol.Princess and P&O charge nothing like this and as I said Cunard are pricing themselves out of the market.Interesting how this pans out before our cruise.
Lancashire
310 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Originally posted by brian1
Not in our restaurants.We don,t live in Rome or Milan.I drink vodka anyway and I was criticised for wanting to bring a few bottles on board.People that get bucket loads of OBC were expecting me to pay 57quid from room service for a bottle of Smirnoff,lol.Princess and P&O charge nothing like this and as I said Cunard are pricing themselves out of the market.Interesting how this pans out before our cruise.

It’s interesting how everyone has a different opinion. We often book a fare with a decent obc and have had shares and buy the FCD onboard to get as much obc as possible. I then look at the top price we have paid, deduct the amount of obc (as we would spend that anyway) and the total left is what I think I have paid for the cruise. I may have a decent amount of obc but still spend it as wisely as I can and then if anything is left treat myself to a little gift. We still buy our gin in port and bottles of tonic for a drink in the cabin whilst we are getting ready. Most people like to treat themselves on holiday but at the same time want their hard earned cash to go as far as possible.

I never think of the obc as free money as you have paid for it one way or another.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

=http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk][/url]g
UK
73 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
We too have just got off QE and compared to other cruise lines we thought the bars were quiet in the evenings , maybe because of the drinks prices and no 'drink packages' where people feel they have to max their outlay. It was actually very nice to be without raucous behaviour around the pool etc that we have witnessed not some voyages. We did have wine at dinner - a fairly cheap one at $46 a bottle but wasn't tempted by the very expensive cocktails pre dinner, just not value for money. Also, there were a lot of dancers and alcohol and choppy seas are not a good mix on the dance floor.
844 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by Tangoqueen
It’s interesting how everyone has a different opinion. We often book a fare with a decent obc and have had shares and buy the FCD onboard to get as much obc as possible. I then look at the top price we have paid, deduct the amount of obc (as we would spend that anyway) and the total left is what I think I have paid for the cruise. I may have a decent amount of obc but still spend it as wisely as I can and then if anything is left treat myself to a little gift. We still buy our gin in port and bottles of tonic for a drink in the cabin whilst we are getting ready. Most people like to treat themselves on holiday but at the same time want their hard earned cash to go as far as possible.

I never think of the obc as free money as you have paid for it one way or another.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Hi,we have no OBC at all and were being picked on for bringing 4 bottles of vodka to drink whilst getting ready.Bearing in mind we are on a month long cruise and landtour,so in perspective that is not excessive.We will still go out and spend a fortune in the bars from our own pocket,still spending more probably than the people that were having a pop,cheers,Brian.
Staffordshire
1,969 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
P&O have just announced a change in their alcohol policy so that you are only allowed to take 1 litre per person onboard on embarkation and any bought during the cruise will be confiscated and given back to you at the end of the cruise. Is it only a matter of time before Cunard follow suit and fall in line with most Carnival plc cruise lines.