Craft Beers and Michael's Club

harz99

The impending changes to the Captain's Club tiers and benefits look as though they are going to change the way Michael's is used - is the craft beer bar concept going to die, or maybe all the craft beers will be available in all the bars?

"Zenith Tier

Our Zenith members** The highest of Captain's Club membership - Zenith - is designed exclusively for our most loyal guests, offering the qualkity benefits and perks befitting this ultimate level of membership, such as complimentary beverage package, access to our exclusive Michael's Club Concierge Lounge, complimentary laundry, and priority seating in theater."

I certainly hope not! From what I gather, and this is just my assumption - it seems as though Michaels is/will be used for a special VIP lounge for zenith tier passengers from 5-7. As I understand it, Michael's does not open until 7. We love the craft beer options, and would be sooooo disappointed if they changed the concept.

Does anyone know about the concierge lounges on RCL? Never sailed them and not really knowledgeable about them.

Are they open 24/7 to invited guests only or are there times each day?

I'd say however RCL operates its current concierge lounge is whats happening to the space known as Michael's on Celebrity.

Given the changes to the Captains club it looks too similar to how Continental and United spent a year or 2 aligning their various small programs, procedures, and policies into single units. Their dilemma was lifetime status, united counted butts in seats miles only, continental counted elite qualifying miles/points which could include bonuses etc. so Continental customers had a leg up before they adjusted everything.

I read on the RCL board in a couple places they are awaiting changes on January 1 for their program.

The impending changes to the Captain's Club tiers and benefits look as though they are going to change the way Michael's is used - is the craft beer bar concept going to die, or maybe all the craft beers will be available in all the bars?

"Zenith Tier

Our Zenith members** The highest of Captain's Club membership - Zenith - is designed exclusively for our most loyal guests, offering the qualkity benefits and perks befitting this ultimate level of membership, such as complimentary beverage package, access to our exclusive Michael's Club Concierge Lounge, complimentary laundry, and priority seating in theater."

I have similar concerns. Michael's Club is the only location where you can find a gluten free beer but only when the venue is open. I do hope the lounge will be during the daytime hours only. Then I can purchase an unopened beer in the evening and enjoy it at lunch or on a warm afternoon on the back deck. Would like it more chilled than It would be from the stateroom cooler, but it is better than doing without.

Then I can purchase an unopened beer in the evening and enjoy it at lunch or on a warm afternoon on the back deck. Would like it more chilled than It would be from the stateroom cooler, but it is better than doing without.
Bring a small collapsible cooler from home and have your cabin steward keep it filled with ice and then you can have ice cold beers at your leisure.

Bring a small collapsible cooler from home and have your cabin steward keep it filled with ice and then you can have ice cold beers at your leisure.

I have just used a plastic bag with ice and kept it in the sink. I think the more important question is whether craft beers will still be available.

I have just used a plastic bag with ice and kept it in the sink. I think the more important question is whether craft beers will still be available.

Remember that beer has a relatively short "shelf life"...measured in months, not years. Since craft beers have not been all that popular on celebrity ships, you may just want to pass on them and enjoy fresh ones at home.

Edited by ghstudio

Remember that beer has a relatively short "shelf life"...measured in months, not years. Since craft beers have not been all that popular on celebrity ships, you may just want to pass on them and enjoy fresh ones at home.

I think that a big reason that the craft beers have not been all theat popular is that Michael's is not open for bar service enough. They would do so much more business thee, & in other bars for that matter, if the bars were manned more hours.

I did 1 a 13 night TA this spring and didn't even know Michaels served beers. Neer really knew what it was other than the gathering spot for suite and elite guests.

Also on same sailing, couldn't find Molecular - it's not noted hardly ever on floor plans and deck plans. asked one of the staff at one of the shops that was right there, and they had never heard of molecular bar....it was like 40 feet away when i noticed it.

I think they should just move the beers to passport bar and make it a bit more livelier.

They definitely need to open Michaels club earlier. I think it would be much more popular if they did so. It is quite sad that we won't be able to get a good beer until after 7 pm. Maybe they should consider that other cruise lines have pubs open during the day.

I agree. I don't really think of a heavy craft beer as an after dinner drink. It would get better use if they opened it in the afternoon, especially on sea days. Otherwise don't advertise ships as having craft beers if they are only going to be open a couple hours a day, while the rest of the day it is used as a minimally used VIP lounge.

I've requested that they carry gluten free beer for years. On one of our cruises last year, I carried 6 bottles on board and they were taken by security. I've done this several times without a problem explaining it was the only beer I could drink. Talked with the Beverage Manager and learned that they did have a gf beer in Michaels. Who knew? Advertising would be nice. No wonder it doesn't sell. They carry Budweiser products and they produce a gf beer. Why not stock it in all bars and let people know it is there? At 7pm I am usuallying drinking wine at dinner.

The we had the premium bev pack on the last 3 Celebrity cruises that we have been on becasue of the 123 prom. I enjoy craft and micro brews and would go into Michaels when it was open to grab a beer. Every time I there I was the only customer. Most times I would leave and dump the beer off because it was skunky and get a drink from another bar. If I stayed very few passengers would walk in and all they did was look around and leave.

It is kind of a vicious circle. The beer is bad because there is no turnover, there is no turnover because it is mostly closed and when it is open no one uses it, but then passengers complain that it is never open and can't get to the beer.

In reality no one wants to sit in a interior bar during the day time and at night there are more interesting and exciting places to be. And if I want to try a beer they are available at home and all I need is a bottle opener. The mixed drinks are more interesting and are more difficult to make because of all of the different ingredients so it is more of a opportunity to try them without having to experiment at home.

🎄🎅

Seriously disappointing. We're not Zenith and we picked Celebrity because we're huge craft beer drinkers. On Reflection we found it difficult to get beers from Michael's (they weren't skunked because the ship was brand new) and it sounds like it'll only be more difficult on our next cruise.

I checked out the "craft beers" on the Millennium earlier this year and found that I could buy 90% of them locally at home (and get a 6-pack for what Celebrity charges on board). I passed...and I enjoy trying different beers.

Yesterday, Andy reported from the Eclipse that there were no craft beers in Michael's Club. He said he would search to see if they were available elsewhere on the ship. It appears many of us will be disappointed.

The Michael's club on Eclipse is a different "concept" than Michael's on Silhouette, Reflection and the newly solsisized m-class ships. We sailed on the Eclipse back in 2011, and I seem to recall there were a few beers above the standard domestic selections eg: bud, coors. Nothing too obscure, but my husband - a real craft beer lover, was able to find a few things he liked... sierrra nevada, maybe a dogfish head? I personally drank hoegaarden, franziskaner and leffe.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

They definitely need to open Michaels club earlier. I think it would be much more popular if they did so. It is quite sad that we won't be able to get a good beer until after 7 pm. Maybe they should consider that other cruise lines have pubs open during the day.
Michaels was open on our recent Summit cruise during the day on Sunday while they were showing NFL games.

Michaels was open on our recent Summit cruise during the day on Sunday while they were showing NFL games.

I was shocked that MC was not open on sea days for drinking nor NFl days. You could go there and watch games but hadto bring outside drinks in. Finally

Someone got ahold of management and they brought a waitress in to get drink orders.

Crazy. 100 people there. Open the bar X.

Also on sea days open the bar before 7pm. Ridiculous.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

I was shocked that MC was not open on sea days for drinking nor NFl days. You could go there and watch games but hadto bring outside drinks in. Finally

Someone got ahold of management and they brought a waitress in to get drink orders.

Crazy. 100 people there. Open the bar X.

Also on sea days open the bar before 7pm. Ridiculous.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Won't happen. Michaels club is becoming a private lounge until 7pm and this has already been implemented on some ships. Part of the new captains club...

Won't happen. Michaels club is becoming a private lounge until 7pm and this has already been implemented on some ships. Part of the new captains club...

With Michael's closed to us regular schmoes during the day, will there be someplace else onboard the Summit to watch the NFL games. We are sailing during the playoffs, and I know some of our group would very much like to see football.

With Michael's closed to us regular schmoes during the day, will there be someplace else onboard the Summit to watch the NFL games. We are sailing during the playoffs, and I know some of our group would very much like to see football.
Like I mentioned on my last post in this thread (#20), Michael's was open during Sunday afternoon while we were on board the Summit and was showing NFL games. This was a great time to enjoy some nice beers and watch football.

Just off the Reflection and the selection was not what I thought it would be. Bud is not a craft beer, Corona is not a craft beer, 3 of the 4 Sam Adams are not craft beers. Stella, a craft beer, Please!

So it becomes a hotise tostie for them that needs to flaunt their 'status' oh well.