Sail away?

SquishTheWhale

This might be a bit of a silly question but I keep seeing the term 'sail away parties' come up. What exactley is one? I mean, obviously I get that it happens when you sail off after embarkation, but what happens at one? Is it just having a drink and watching the shoreline vanish or is it really cheesey with singing and stuff? Does everyone tend to take part or is it cool just to sit and watch?

Sailing on NCL for my first cruise but interested in what all the different lines do.

It is usually held at the aft pool. The CD will be there getting people in the mood for the cruise. Some ships sing, some play a couple of games to offer prizes. There will be special drinks in special glasses -- cost more that way. Some ships offer some salsa and nachos.

Each line does it own thing.

Ask on the Norwegian board what usually happens.

As KK's answer, it does vary a lot from cruise line to cruise line, from ship to ship, from port to port. Usually only at a couple of ports per cruise, usually including the embarkation port. The aft deck if suitable, if not then the top deck.

No longer the sort of occasion that you may have seen on old black-and-white films.

No need to take part.

Go see, if it's not your scene then head elsewhere.

Beware of trays of fizz etc being handed out - they're not free!

All a bit naughty.

You're offered a drink from the tray.

When you take the drinks you're asked for your cabin number / card.

Are you then going to put the drinks back on the tray, or meekly give your details? :(

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

After about 18-19 cruises, and in spite of the fact that we have a balcony cabin, we always enjoy going up to the pool deck, listening to the music and watching the ship get underway. Just one more tradition we can't seem to escape. We watched the ship sail away from our balcony once and felt a little bit sad that we didn't go up to the pool deck. It's just one more way to know that we are about to embark on another great cruise.

Thanks guys- we will definatley be on deck and watch, even if we don't activley take part!

Also thanks for the heads up on the drink- I would definatley have fallen for that :o

For the sail away, I don't care for the LOUD music by the pool deck. I prefer to go to the highest public deck at the bow and watch the sail away with other people. I get up there early and meet some fellow cruisers. Yeah, avoid the offer of the drink (generally aren't very good) and they aren't free.

Beware of trays of fizz etc being handed out - they're not free!

All a bit naughty.

You're offered a drink from the tray.

When you take the drinks you're asked for your cabin number / card.

Are you then going to put the drinks back on the tray, or meekly give your details? :(

If someone comes towards me and offers me a pre-prepared drink on a tray in a party-like setting, I certainly would expect it to be free!

Thanks for the advance warning, if something similar happens to me on my next cruise I'll just give the waiter a nice tip to make up for what I guess the average response is.

Sailing on NCL for my first cruise but interested in what all the different lines do.

Not knowing your if your cruising in Europe or Caribbean, but NCL usually has a BBQ on the pool deck during sail away on this side of the pond.

Not knowing your if your cruising in Europe or Caribbean, but NCL usually has a BBQ on the pool deck during sail away on this side of the pond.

Canaries and Morocco in January, so might be a little chilly for a BBQ! (although I'm dreaming it will be hot... lol) Sail away BBQ sounds awesome though :)

Depending which port, sometimes you'll get the boats in the area tooting their horn goodbye. People on shore in popular viewing areas may wave to you. In the port of Los Angeles, there's a couple of restaurants right there in which people will wave to you from outdoor tables.

Depending which port' date=' sometimes you'll get the boats in the area tooting their horn goodbye.[/quote'] That's where we always go, to the location closest to the horn. That's when we know our cruise holiday is official, when that very deep throated horn blasts sending a chill up our spines. Nothing like it!
People on shore in popular viewing areas may wave to you. In the port of Los Angeles, there's a couple of restaurants right there in which people will wave to you from outdoor tables.
Same in Lauderdale, but the folks in the condos will send you on your way.

While we generally prefer to avoid crowds/noise and enjoy sail-away on our balcony with a bottle of wine and a cheese/fruit plate, there are exceptions. If your port is a spectacular sail-away (think San Francisco, Vancouver, Sydney, etc.) then you might want to spend at least part of your time on a public deck to enjoy the contagious excitement. There's usually time to do both - a little party time, a little quiet time just catching your breath after the stress of travel and boarding.

In the 'old days', sail-away's involved confetti, balloons, streamers, bands and waving crowds left behind on the pier - that's all gone (except the bands), most of it for good reason. It's still fun, but a different experience.

Once leaving Vancouver, we stood at the rail next to a woman who started crying when we were leaving the port and passing a lookout point in Stanley Park. She later explained that as a little girl, her grandparents had taken a cruise and her parents had taken her to the point to watch the ship leave. At that time, she vowed that she'd one day take a cruise herself, and now here she was!

Edited by Kartgv

And to add the fun and excitement of the Lido pool party, the great fun leaving Fort Lauderdale, people on the breakwater waving and yelling, people up in the condos blowing horns and waving. As well as the other ships leaving and the ship's horns blowing. Just an all around good time

While we generally prefer to avoid crowds/noise and enjoy sail-away on our balcony with a bottle of wine and a cheese/fruit plate, there are exceptions.

This is what we do when we cruise with groups or are having a personal celebration. We've had aft wraps and oversized balconies a few times and will have drinks and appetizers for our group while we wave to those on shore.

We're not big partiers so prefer to avoid the noise on the lido deck.

Once leaving Vancouver, we stood at the rail next to a woman who started crying when we were leaving the port and passing a lookout point in Stanley Park. She later explained that as a little girl, her grandparents had taken a cruise and her parents had taken her to the point to watch the ship leave. At that time, she vowed that she'd one day take a cruise herself, and now here she was!

That was one of the best stories yet. Very heart warming.