More Explosives found on Ferry

chrpai

That is so scary! We just rode that ferry on the 23rd. The ferry that was burned was right behind the one that we got on, at the pier. My husband even commented that there had definitely been a fire. We had no idea that it was a bomb. It really makes me re-think traveling to Mexico at all in the future.

Seems that Mexico and all the cruise lines are taking this very seriously. When you say you will not be going to Mexico because of this, just remember that there has been incidences in London, Barcelona, Greece, Paris and other cities, including here in the U.S. like Boston and most recently in Las Vegas. We've visited Cozumel several times and I've never felt unsafe. We would love to be able to live there one day.

All the excursions ON the island of Cozumel, where all the ships dock, are doing just fine.

It is only the ferry over to the Mainland tours (cenotes, Tulum, Chichen Itza, underground rivers, etc) that are cancelled.

As far as more bombs being found... it is hard to know what exactly is going on as the newspapers in Mexico are all just gossip rags, where reporters can say anything they want or what they are paid to say. It is undetermined who planted the bomb on the Barcos ferry and why. Some rumors say it was the other two ferry companies, some say it was related to a corrupt politician that locals want out of office. It is all related to Playa del Carmen safety, not really Cozumel. I would not be concerned at all with excursions in COZUMEL itself.

My friends in Cozumel are keeping me informed daily as to what is happening and I trust them to give me the truth as they own businesses on Cozumel that could be affected by all of this.

robin

“As far as more bombs being found... it is hard to know what exactly is going on as the newspapers in Mexico are all just gossip rags, where reporters can say anything they want or what they are paid to say. “

That’s so wrong that is dangerous!

Reporters can’t say anything they want in Mexico! Those who do are killed, find themselves in a drum of acid . Mexico reporters have the highest murder rate in the world. Before offering a Pollyanna all is wonderful opinion, you might want to look at the facts at how any reporter in Mexico reporting on the cartels is likely to be murdered.

“As far as more bombs being found... it is hard to know what exactly is going on as the newspapers in Mexico are all just gossip rags, where reporters can say anything they want or what they are paid to say. “

That’s so wrong that is dangerous!

Reporters can’t say anything they want in Mexico! Those who do are killed, find themselves in a drum of acid . Mexico reporters have the highest murder rate in the world. Before offering a Pollyanna all is wonderful opinion, you might want to look at the facts at how any reporter in Mexico reporting on the cartels is likely to be murdered.

Not at all what I was implying. I am saying that regarding local crime, not cartels, most of the reports are based on gossip. I get this from my Mexican friends, who live there and have to deal with it on a daily basis. This bombing has nothing to do with any drug cartel, it has to do with the ferry company itself, whether the fact that it is owned by a corrupt politicians family or whether it is the other ferry companies taking out the competition who has been undercutting their business. We may never know who did it, due to all the rumors of "who said what" and "what was found".

I’m sure you have “ friends” down there spending there time monitoring wiretaps, doing surveilance with cracker Intel that would make our FBI envious but in the end it doesn’t matter , one bomb can ruin your day .

Mexico is in a state of chaos. The homicide count says that, the assasinations, the U.S. state dept says it, all those soldiers you see every where.

Think your safe? How safe will you feel when your kidnapped and if your family doesn’t pay the ransom , they get you in a box?

I remember back when people poo poo’d the crime in Acapulco ( I was there about six months before ships stopping visiting it) and now its a battle ground . Even Cabo is on its way to become the next battle ground .

Want a safe tropical place to relax without worry of being kidnapped, blown up, food poisoning, or be drugged and raped?

Visit a place called “Hawaii”.

Hey - if you don't want to go to Mexico, don't go.

. . . but you can stop all the scarifying. Most folks who go to Cozumel on a regular basis know that it's one of the safest places around. My only concern while I'm on the island is being run over by a Jeep driven by a drunk American off a cruise ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey - if you don't want to go to Mexico, don't go.

. . . but you can stop all the scarifying. Most folks who go to Cozumel on a regular basis know that it's one of the safest places around. My only concern while I'm on the island is being run over by a Jeep driven by a drunk American off a cruise ship.

I tend to agree with you. Odds are we will be back in January for our yearly 10 day stay. We won't take the ferry but we seldom do and we may be a little more observant but at this point unless something happens like this occuring more frequently or people on the island being targeted we have no plans of changing something that has worked well for us.

I’m sure you have “ friends” down there spending there time monitoring wiretaps, doing surveilance with cracker Intel that would make our FBI envious but in the end it doesn’t matter , one bomb can ruin your day .

Mexico is in a state of chaos. The homicide count says that, the assasinations, the U.S. state dept says it, all those soldiers you see every where.

Think your safe? How safe will you feel when your kidnapped and if your family doesn’t pay the ransom , they get you in a box?

I remember back when people poo poo’d the crime in Acapulco ( I was there about six months before ships stopping visiting it) and now its a battle ground . Even Cabo is on its way to become the next battle ground .

Want a safe tropical place to relax without worry of being kidnapped, blown up, food poisoning, or be drugged and raped?

Have you even been to Cozumel before? It is nowhere near Acapulco or Cabo. Crime in Cozumel is very very minor as tourism is the only industry. They really don't want to lose their only income on the island. I have been going to Cozumel at least once a year for the past 18 years for week-long land vacations. It is a safer place than most cities in Florida, that's for sure. If you don't want to go there, fine, don't go. We will continue to go there on land and cruise vacations.

have a nice day.

robin

Explosives attached to the underside of ferries is VERY SERIOUS, whatever the reason!!! One exploded a week or so ago, & then 2 were found the other day!! The implication from reading the State Dept warning is that these devices were found on ferries going FROM COZ to the mainland, so that implies that there are some people running around Coz with explosives in their possession, with the intention of creating a disaster.....so this is a SERIOUS situation!! What place will "they" choose next, to place a couple of explosives?....the markets at the 3 docks? Senor Frogs? Chankanaab? A hotel? (Yes, Coz HAS BEEN safe, but is it now?)

Edited by Cruisin Kay D

Just to be clear, Hawaii has kidnapping, food poisoning, drugs and rape. If a bomb goes off we should go where? Your profile doesn’t say where you’re from but it must be pretty pristine and private. BTW, I spent several years of my law enforcement career conducting surveillance, wiretaps and gathering intelligence on those cartels, not to mention interdiction and getting shot at by them, all in the state of Texas. Cozumel is about 100 times safer than most big cities in the U.S. especially the drug smuggling corridors between the border and those cities.

I’ve been to Cozumel so many times that I can’t give an exact number. I was last there two months ago. Funny, that was first time I took the ferry to playa Carmen ( ship excursion to chintzen itsa)

The crime in HI is a fraction, a mere fraction of what it is in Mexico . So far, no politicians or journalists have been murdered, they are not kidnapping tourists and guess what? The police are actually more honest than the ones in Mexico! Oh, and the bars at the hotels aren’t dropping drugs into the drinks and raping guests.

Food poisoning?Are you serious? The water in HI is actually safe to drink and won’t make you sick. Restaraunts are subjected to tough standards, higher than most states. Who inspects the restaurants in Mexico?

I’m also not impressed with those street venders who have things like mayonnaise simmering in the sun, growing bacteria.

Is Cozumel safe? How safe you felt there ten years ago, last year, or two months ago ( when I was last there) doesn’t matter, what matters is now and the future.Who ever put that bomb on probably went to Cozumel, then came back and left it on the ferry, so there was a bomb from Cozumel . It’s also foolish to think that because Cozumel is a 20 minute ferry ride away from the mainland, the gangs won’t go there.

They will, there is money to made from protection and other rackets.

Ten years ago, the dangerous areas of Mexico were few- now they have grown to cover much of country. According to the US State Dept, some areas are as dangerous as Syria and US personal are prohibited from being there.

Wow - will you lighten up Francis!

We'll be on Coz for a month in November and December - if we get killed, we'll let you know.

. . . and if you are too afraid to travel there - just don't go. Other folks who go there quite a bit have a different opinion of the place than you.

There is no proof that the explosive device that detonated at the Playa del Carmen dock on the Barcos ferry was EVER in Cozumel. The ferry was sitting on the dock empty at the time. People were injured who were standing on the dock getting off the other ferry sitting there. It had nothing to do with drug cartels, or whether you can drink the water or not. Some people need to relax and let the investigation go forward.

The cruise lines are cancelling the shore excursions that use the ferries just as a precautionary right now. The whole thing is not believed to have anything to do with tourists.

And right now I am not convince any more explosive devices have been found. As I have said, reading in a Mexican newspaper that a plastic pipe with wires in it was found doesn't necessarily say bomb to me. Not saying it doesn't need to be examined, just saying I am waiting to hear more info.

robin