What really is a Sale???

It seems to me I keep seeing BOGO sales, and this sale and that sale going on all the time. I really don't know anymore what is a good deal.... when I work out all the pricing, it looks pretty much like what a regular price cruise would cost anyhow.

We haven't sailed RCI in years, been with other lines. We're 19 days from Diamond which I'm still pouting about because we lost 7 days when they switched programs several years back (we had taken several 10/11 cruises) Now that RCI is returning to New Orleans, I've been looking at returning to RCI, but anyone have a suggestion of

what "sale" really is a good sale (if that really exist)

For me, $100 a day, per person for a balcony is the right price for me. If there is OBC, great, but I don't really look for it. Our Med cruise next October was $1000 pp. for a suite. I thought that was a good sale.

That used to be my price point but I am finding that price harder and harder to find And that is for off season, not summer or holidays

Seems like sales change but prices don’t.

The last sale changed from 50% off 2nd guest to 30% off each pax. Still same price.

I just booked a cruise at the 30% off each. On my invoice, Cruise fee for each is $2984, the listed 30% discount is $1174 off each.

My calculator says 30% of $2984 is $895.

RCI definitely does some fuzzy math.

There's never a sale, but to me a good Royal Caribbean sale is the one that gives the lowest price at any point for a particular sailing.

For the last 4 years of my cruise planning, I've noticed that the best price for the cruises I have booked have always been the price it was during its first week of release (when RC first opens that sailing up to the public for booking).

The next cruise I have booked was reserved in April of this year when it was released. The price for the same cruise and room during "Black Friday" week, was only $18 more expensive than I paid, and has so far been the best price it has gotten since I reserved it. Same happened with the cruise I booked last year, and 2 years before that. It never went cheaper, even after final payment, however the sailings are all in summertime (more popular time to sail). Probably better deals to be had for different sailings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

May of 2014 saved us $1600 off our Alaska cruise tour....those were the days.

We did get the first price drop since ‘14 this past week on the Green Monday sale. Saved $500 and got an additional $100 in OBC.

If you can live with the price, you book it. If you wait around for a sale, you may miss the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

May of 2014 saved us $1600 off our Alaska cruise tour....those were the days.

We did get the first price drop since ‘14 this past week on the Green Monday sale. Saved $500 and got an additional $100 in OBC.

If you can live with the price, you book it. If you wait around for a sale, you may miss the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yep....That May 2014 sale.

I saved a minimum of 23% off 7 cruises. One cruise was 40% savings.

I still have my scratch papers from that day. The cool thing was I had to call Royal and get all those new fantastic prices while I was in an Uber going towards Port Everglades for my first TransAtlantic.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

They are all NON sales.

Meh.

Know what you want to pay, and what a cruise is worth TO YOU.

Someone else's $1000pp balcony for a week in the Caribbean may be too much, while for you it's worth it.

Whether RC (or ANY company for that matter) calls their pricing a sale or not shouldn't make one bit of difference.

If you're willing to pay $1000pp, does it really matter if that Adventure of the Seas cruise is 50% off $2000 or $500 with a 100% surcharge? Nope.

Lots of sage advice ! I agree that it's best to ignore all sale's hype . I also like the idea of looking for cruises at or around the hundred dollar a night threshold . My best advice is be open to booking with different cruise lines rather then waiting for a particular brands sales. Loyalty is expensive .😁

I never look for sales or promotions. What I do is monitor price and book when it looks cheap or reasonable. Prices for cruises fluctuate theses days so IMO there is no fixed brochure price which is then discounted during sales.

Feb 1, 2017 when RCL had their first 60% off second passenger. They forgot to take the 30% off the first passenger so you got 30% off passenger 1 and 60% off passenger 2

It got fixed by 9 am that morning. They knew about the error but honored the pricing until someone came in and fixed it

I remember May 1, 2014 as well. I think that only lasted a couple of days until RCL jacked up all the base prices.

Yep....That May 2014 sale.

I saved a minimum of 23% off 7 cruises. One cruise was 40% savings.

I still have my scratch papers from that day. The cool thing was I had to call Royal and get all those new fantastic prices while I was in an Uber going towards Port Everglades for my first TransAtlantic.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Haha! We were on a tour at Pearl Harbor and someone I know texted to tell me about the sale! I spent the next half hour on the phone booking cruises! Best deals ever!

What's funny is, if they stopped the "sales" that are not sales and just listed the price as it is, business would plummet. People like the illusion that they're getting a deal.

JC Penny tried dropping the nonsense during the financial crises a few years back and it nearly sunk them.

What's funny is, if they stopped the "sales" that are not sales and just listed the price as it is, business would plummet. People like the illusion that they're getting a deal.

JC Penny tried dropping the nonsense during the financial crises a few years back and it nearly sunk them.

They seemed to be doing fine for many years prior to May 2014, when the continuous fake sales started.