Regent deck parties

WesW

Does someone want to start a poll on deck party’s on Regent ships? We happen to love them and it is not raucous bands until the wee hours of the morning. If you want quiet all the time charter a beautiful yacht.

With all due respect, on the other hand you could say if you want to have deck parties, charter a beautiful yacht.

With all due respect, on the other hand you could say if you want to have deck parties, charter a beautiful yacht.

+1. Alternatively, you can sail on a cruise line that does have loud parties and passengers that appreciate them (there are many and only a few cruise lines where a calm, serene atmosphere is appreciated)!

Even though I must agree with certain posters that evening events on the pool deck are not common, they are certainly not an absolute anomaly either. I recall one particularly delightful evening on Voyager in the Bay of Biscay en route to London when most of the senior staff, including El Capitan, joined a group of us in lively dancing into the wee hours on the pool deck.

One would sincerely hope that everyone who has an opinion on this issue would be allowed to voice it without fear of someone with an opposing view taking advantage of the infamous (and far-too-frequently-used-on-this-board) Report Post triangle to silence such contrary statements of opinion.

I think that some form of mellow entertainment would be great - as long a they take into consideration the suites that are affected by anything on the pool deck (this is a big issue for people on the pool deck -- they even hear scraping of chairs when they are moved). In my opinion, it is not up to us to judge whether these folks would be affected as they could be dining in their suite because they are tired from a long excursion, not feeling well, etc.

As an off the topic (but related) example, 200 passengers on the Mariner's Bali to Hong Kong cruise that ended this month had a 3 day pre-cruise stay in the most lovely hotel that we have ever stayed at. Almost all of us arrived on a Wednesday ....... the day that they had some kind of party by the pool that occurs every week (during the day and fairly early evening). All of us were exhausted and there was nowhere that you could avoid the loud music. After traveling for 21 1/2 hours, this was the last thing that we needed. So, despite how much some passengers want to party to loud music, consideration for others is also important.

We do not take port intensive cruises anymore but get up very early and are active all day (on the ship). We stay in larger suites and enjoy dining in our suite with other couples when possible. While we know not to book suites under or anywhere near the pool deck, most others do not know this. I understand that there are events on the pool deck during the day but cannot see a reason to have them at night. On the night of the BBQ at least one specialty restaurant is closed so that servers can be on the pool deck, on other nights the servers are busy in other restaurants until after 9:00 p.m. So where would Regent find the crew to service passengers at a pool deck party unless it started after 10:00 p.m.?

It is easy to state what we would "like" to happen and another to see if it makes sense and if there are enough crew members to cover all areas that need to be covered between 6:30 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.

As an aside, Regent's Country Fair and other events take place during the day. Only the BBQ is at night and it takes the better part of the afternoon and early evening to put together. Lots of work and passengers love it. Not sure that the crew would love having even more events on the pool deck

Sorry, I'm a little confused and I understand your point of view, but I never suggested having blaring loud music with a full meal. I have spent years sailing on little boats, 5 to 8 cabins, where 8 have either known my fellow sailors or not known a soul till I arrived on board. But even on these boats, there will be music, but at a level where you can still have an in depth conversation, but you can't exactly have a lively party with 8 to 12 people on a little deck, so the pool bar can be open, with live music set at a reasonable level, with a curfew at a given time.

My experience of larger ships, and, yes, to me Regent with 500 guests is large, is fairly recent and one of my worries was blaring music to all hours, so I deliberately spent time researching the ship's I would be sailing on, to find the best position of suite/cabin for us. I knew that ideally cabins/suites above and below us would suit.

Surely if you are going to part with money, you do your research, after all, I wouldn't by a car without finding out about it before I went to the garage to look at one.

To wrap up, we are all different and that is a good thing. It wouldn't do for us to all be the same or we would all be living a life like in Stepford Wives.

With all due respect, most of my sailing experience is on smaller, (5 to 8 cabins) boats/yachts, and trust me, it is difficult to have deck parties on a small deck and there are no cabins where you can't here what goes on, on deck.

+1. Alternatively, you can sail on a cruise line that does have loud parties and passengers that appreciate them (there are many and only a few cruise lines where a calm, serene atmosphere is appreciated)!

Have you ever been part of or observed the trivia games? They are hardly calm and serene in tone and the Regent customers seem to be having a rip roaring good time.

For what it's worth, I found the Passages for the day of the last deck party that I attended from Oct 1 2013.

(Whether it is a little OCD for one to keep all of his Passages can be a discussion for another time.):eek:

Here is the description:

7:00-9:00pm SEVEN SEAS VOYAGER GRAND SUNSET DECK BBQ UNDER EVENING SKIES

All guests are invited to this special occasion as Executive Chef Jonathin Smid and his team prepare a lavish and tantalizing feast against the stunning backdrop of Monte Carlo. Always a memorable occasion, join friends and fellow guests for a night to remember. The evening includes background melodies from the Regent Signature Orchestra and Nature's Rhythm Trio. Don't forget your camera!

9:15-10:00 pm DANCE PARTY UNDERTHE STARS

Join Vocalists Ron Remke, JuliaMosby and friends to dance into the night against the beautiful backdrop of Monte Carlo. Accompanied by the Regent Signature Orchestra, we bring the party to you after the BBQ! Get down and boogie to some Disco favorites under the stars!

Out of respect to those guests wishing to sleep on the deck below, evening events continue in the Voyager Lounge at 10:00pm

Yes,the deck parties can be a lot of fun for most of us, but the noise doesn't end when the music stops at 9 or 10pm. The crew then commences the break down of removing tables, chairs, equipment etc for an hour or two.

The guests just below pool deck (deck 10 on Voyager and Mariner) experience considerable deck noise above from the 3pm set up until the midnight finish. Just saying, Regent and travel agents could make it known in advance to anyone booking the deck below pool deck.

Sorry, I

My experience of larger ships, and, yes, to me Regent with 500 guests is large, is fairly recent and one of my worries was blaring music to all hours, so I deliberately spent time researching the ship's I would be sailing on, to find the best position of suite/cabin for us. I knew that ideally cabins/suites above and below us would suit.

Surely if you are going to part with money, you do your research, after all, I wouldn't by a car without finding out about it before I went to the garage to look at one.

To wrap up, we are all different and that is a good thing. It wouldn't do for us to all be the same or we would all be living a life like in Stepford Wives.

Love your Stepford wives reference. It is true, we are all different. I want to comment on what I highlighted above. Agree with you 100% however, after being on Cruise Critic for many years, it never ceases to amaze me how little research some people do before cruising. If I had to guess, I'd say that 50% of new Regent passengers are not aware of things like booking a suite under the pool deck, booking aft suites on Voyager or Navigator, etc.

Your comment brought me back to our 2006 Voyager cruise which was technically our second Radisson cruise (first was Paul Gauguin). We received an up-sell offer to a Penthouse A and were thrilled. Unfortunately it was under the pool deck. I've been warning people about these suites ever since then. And, even after many Regent cruises and being a CC member, we did another Voyager up-sell to a Master suite ....... next to the Observation Lounge and yet another cruise - on Explorer above the Observation Lounge. So, I just keep learning (and making mistakes) that I share with others.

My main concerns about this subject is sensitivity to the other passengers and their ability to enjoy the cruise as well as the crew that work even longer hours when these events occur as tripperva explained so well.

Most posters appear to be in support of the occasional deck BBQ followed by a dance party which generally occur when the ship has a late night in a port where the authorities are in agreement to the arrangements.

In order to provide the necessary staffing for these functions, the speciality restaurants are closed and there is no entertainment in the theatre.

However I think Wes' original post was not just calling for the continuation and maybe increase in the number of these special events, but also for some more low key deck events, such as keeping the Pool Bar open later and providing some live or taped music. This could either be in port or at sea.

We think this would be a great idea in those parts of the world where the evening temperatures are right, but the question of staffing would have to be carefully considered as the bar staff and drink waiters are at present juggled between the restaurants, lounges and theatre - sometimes leading to a lack of service in one venue or another.

On our first Regent cruise, in 2009, a screen was set up on Voyager's deck under the stars to show the film "Slumdog Millionaire" as we sailed towards Mumbai.

With guests watching from sunloungers, a popcorn machine on one side and icecream on the other side we have never forgotten the magical experience that was very popular.

Unfortunately we have never seen this done since. Maybe another idea JM might consider.

On our recent cruise on Mariner, the Staff Captain arranged for 'stargazing' from the deck at 10:30pm on what was predicted to be a clear night (We didn't attend so do not know how popular or successful this was)

.............the crew that work even longer hours when these events occur ................

Do these events require the crew to work longer hours?

I agree that staff & crew make the deck BBQs into very special events, but I am not sure that they are made to work longer hours.

As I pointed out in a previous post, other venues are closed to allow the Deck BBQs to proceed.

Do these events require the crew to work longer hours?

I agree that staff & crew make the deck BBQs into very special events, but I am not sure that they are made to work longer hours.

As I pointed out in a previous post, other venues are closed to allow the Deck BBQs to proceed.

Instead of resting in the afternoon, the Food and Beverage team is busy setting up the Deck BBQ and, afterwards need to remove the food and clean the whole place up. There are obviously crew members that are washing dishes, etc. well after 10:00 p.m. Yes - except for CR, the specialty restaurants are closed on that night however I don't think that everyone want specialty restaurants to be closed so that there are enough crew members on deck for other parties that occur during dinner hours.

While low-noise events sound good, keep in mind that people in suites under the pool deck hear the scraping of chairs and pretty much anything that is moved on the pool deck. The pool deck noise begins early in the morning and continues until the deck is clean and the lounges are put into place for the night. As with other things, some people are not bothered by this and others are.

Too late to edit and post this. For the heck of it, I went to the deck plan on the Mariner (deck 10 - under La Veranda and the Pool Deck). Without counting suites under LV or forward under more suites, there are approximately 50 suites (plus at least two on deck 11) that are affected by pool deck noise. So, 100 passengers are affected by anything that goes on above them.

Too late to edit and post this. For the heck of it, I went to the deck plan on the Mariner (deck 10 - under La Veranda and the Pool Deck). Without counting suites under LV or forward under more suites, there are approximately 50 suites (plus at least two on deck 11) that are affected by pool deck noise. So, 100 passengers are affected by anything that goes on above them.

Mmm .................. With all due respect, I think these statistics are a touch skewed:

• The number of suites with the potential to be affected is less than quoted;
  • Many guests will not be disturbed by any noise;
  • Most guests will be up on deck enjoying themselves rather than in their suites.

Mmm .................. With all due respect, I think these statistics are a touch skewed:

• Most guests will be up on deck enjoying themselves rather than in their suites.

No big deal but I strongly disagree for all of the reasons that I have previously stated. And, you may want to recount the suites in between the two elevators. Keep in mind that we are discussing events other than the BBQ. Most people are dining during the hours of 6:30 - 9:30 p.m. so unless you are suggesting that that Regent do more dinners on the pool deck, IMO, the only time that it could be crowded on the pool deck would be after dinner and Regent seems to have the sense to stop the music and dancing at 10:00 p.m. and the shows begin at 9:30 p.m.

Would like to hear from others that want more pool events at night ......what hours you think that they should be held (considering the above)? Meals do not stop when there are overnights in port (even if there is no show). Again and as always, my main concern is for the crew and secondly passengers that may be affected.

P.S. As I suggested to Wes a few pages back, having the pool bar open a bit later so people that want to be in the jacuzzi or sit around the pool deck before dinner is likely a good idea. Regent would quickly learn if there are enough passengers utilizing the bar to keep staff there. I'm thinking that perhaps it should be open until 7:00 or 7:30 p.m.

Edited by Travelcat2

Disclaimer: our Regent cruise in May will be our first.

We were disappointed to hear that on Regent the pool grill is closed in the evening. We very much enjoyed evening dining on deck while on a recent Silversea cruise. It was a very nice alternative and jeans or shorts were allowed.

Flossie. As we discussed on the last night and disembarkation morning on the Mariner, you will never have the last word. As you said,sorry we didn't have more time to discuss it.