Is drivers license needed?

pearose

My son forgot his drivers license, but he has his passport. He will not need his DL to board will he? All I can find that is required is "government issued photo ID". Which I am assuming the passport is sufficient, am I right?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the verification. That is what I told them. They are on their way from Little Rock to Dallas right now and we are headed to Galveston today to board the Freedom tomorrow. He had time to go back and get it, if needed, but just wanted to make sure I read correctly! Thanks!

In Mobile the rent a cop at the first gate required a drivers license to verify the passport but this is not a Carnival or TSA requirement so he should be ok as long as he take it with him when leaving the ship in a port.

Have fun!

Sounds like someone needs to be re-trained.

In Mobile the rent a cop at the first gate required a drivers license to verify the passport but this is not a Carnival or TSA requirement so he should be ok as long as he take it with him when leaving the ship in a port.

Have fun!

"I'd like to see your manager, please." ;)

If your son has a passport, the only reason he would need a drivers license is if he is driving to the port. OR planning on an excursion where he is driving (4x4 or Jeep tours) or renting a vehicle (moped or car, sometimes if using jet skis or other PWCs) to tour around.

My son forgot his drivers license, but he has his passport. He will not need his DL to board will he? All I can find that is required is "government issued photo ID". Which I am assuming the passport is sufficient, am I right?

Not needed.

If its a valid passport his photo I’d is on the passport and they will not ask for I’d. Keep in mind that you will need to use the passport at port side to get back on the ship.

I have heard it is keep ur passport In stateroom safe and take copy with u to go ashore

Can anyone verify this

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A copy of a passport is worthless to foreign officials, but very valuable to foreign criminals to produce forgeries of. No police or security report can be made if some steals or if you misplace a copy as it has no official value. The best place for a copy of your passport is with a trusted friend or relative that can fax or otherwise transmit it to the US consulate if you find yourself in an emergency. The consulate then can use the info from the copy to have a new passport issued.

So if you have a passport either take ashore with you as your ID and be diligent (keep it in a travelers waist or neck wallet or in a cross body type of bag) or leave it in the safe and hope you don't need it. (There are a few ports that require it but the cruise line will inform you of which ones these are in a pre-embarkation comunication.) Either way have contingency plans on returning to the ship if your initial mode of transport proves unreliable. Also plan to be back on board 1 hour prior to the published departure when docked, or in line 1 hour before the last tender pick-up time at the dock.