Hissing Contest

Gypsy025

Not I. We're getting to know one another, and mention where we've been and on what ship etc. It's life.

On our roll call we are speaking of where we are going for 4th of July and where we went or did on Memorial Day. Sharing.

No, it's not planning excursions to share together, it's just getting to know other people and their likes and possibly their dislikes as well.

Does anyone else find it annoying to read, on the Roll Call Sub-Furums, posts about their previous and future cruises that have nothing to do with the specific Roll Call?

I note that you posted the same question to Holland America board too. Who's saying what, that bothers you so much?

Now I am confused again. OP, I looked at your roll calls and on one you ask others about a cruise you are going to take on a different ship that you saw someone on the roll call has sailed on, for 'words of wisdom'. Yes, you asked them to 'call' you and posted your phone number (which you might want to have removed as that is really too much information to post on the internet, as CC has asked everyone to be careful how much personal info they actually share online). Most will not post things like phone numbers as it really isn't a safe practice, so they discuss or answer your question right there in type. So, I don't see the difference between you asking advice about a different ship, or others talking about their past or future sailings on the roll calls. In a way, you opened the door for the discussion for others. :confused:

I can see I've opened up a can of worms.....

Yes, I was wrong in providing my telephone number on these boards, thank you for pointing it out.

When I did use my number I was really seeking advice about a future cruise, but didn't want to use that specific forum for a reply, which had really nothing to do with the subject.

There are a couple of Roll Calls that interest me, one with a sailing date of 8/4, the other 8/16 - they have 48 pages and 942 posts and 45 pages and 894 posts respectively. In my opinion, anyone looking for advice/information on these cruises (I really think this is the intent of this Forum) will have to do an aweful lot of reading of irrelavent 'stuff' to find the 'meat'!

Yes, I was wrong in providing my telephone number on these boards, thank you for pointing it out.

When I did use my number I was really seeking advice about a future cruise, but didn't want to use that specific forum for a reply, which had really nothing to do with the subject.

There are a couple of Roll Calls that interest me, one with a sailing date of 8/4, the other 8/16 - they have 48 pages and 942 posts and 45 pages and 894 posts respectively. In my opinion, anyone looking for advice/information on these cruises (I really think this is the intent of this Forum) will have to do an aweful lot of reading of irrelavent 'stuff' to find the 'meat'!

That's the problem. You are reading Roll Calls and these people are talking amongst themselves. They are already bonding, since they will be travelling together. For information, you shouldn't be in roll calls, but in the various sites designated for the specific areas of your interest.

I do not join a roll call unless I am going on that cruise. And for the most part other cruises are mentioned as a way of sharing information. Also they are a get to know you thing and not for advice on other cruises. That is what the general boards are for.

I disagree that the intent is just for information on advice and information on the specific cruise. I love the forum and use it to get to know the other travelers. Learning what other trips, what going on in thier lives, and other things are all part of it.

I disagree that the intent is just for information on advice and information on the specific cruise. I love the forum and use it to get to know the other travelers. Learning what other trips, what going on in thier lives, and other things are all part of it.

Very well stated.....:):):)

Bob

Gypsy, if you go to that post with your phone number, just click on the little triangle in the upper right hand corner of it, and you can ask the moderators to remove your post (if you would like). That way it isn't out there for everyone to see. ;)

Gypsy, if you go to that post with your phone number, just click on the little triangle in the upper right hand corner of it, and you can ask the moderators to remove your post (if you would like). That way it isn't out there for everyone to see. ;)

Good Advice ...

Srpilo

The cruises you mention are just a few weeks away, and the participants on those roll calls may have been posting for well over a year. Those post counts are actually not very high (We had a roll call once with over 20k posts!) Sometimes, folks will join in late (last minute booking), and want to know "what's planned?", but they may have to scan though quite a few pages to get some answers.

Does anyone else find it annoying to read, on the Roll Call Sub-Furums, posts about their previous and future cruises that have nothing to do with the specific Roll Call?

Can you explain what you understand by the "roll call sub forum?"

Do you mean signatures where posters display past and future cruises?

Kinkacruise....Cruise Critic Message Board is the main forum, the sub-forums are "First Time Cruisers", "Cruise Line A-O", "Cruise Line P-Z", "Roll Calls" and so on.

From the Roll Call board; the Moderator, says - "Your Roll Call is the place where members can exchange tips & information about their particular line, ship, Ports of Call, shore excursions/tours, transportation, etc"

I suppose the "etc" can be anything - such as mother-laws surgery, their pointy haired boss & kitchen remodelling project, as WHOGO states in his post #4 reply to my 'Hissing Contest' subject on the Holland America board. IMO, this type of banter belongs on Facebook.

For those that I've obviously upset, I really didn't intend to. I apologize for bringing up this subject

Gypsy... I don't think you've upset anyone here. I tend to agree with you that some roll calls CAN get way out of hand on the mundane chit chat, BUT, if that's the "feel" of that particular roll call, then it's hard to curb it. I am currently part of three different roll calls, and one is pretty "business-like" (thanks to several who post reminders to keep things short & sweet).

Personally, I don't care what anyone wants to talk about. Its all about information no matter if is past, present or future. I always find something to learn and I love to learn new things. I also love to hear everone and anyone talk about who, what where and when. So, no it does not bother me. Don't feel like you have annoyed anyone. You had a concern and its been answered. ENJOY

One problem is that lots of roll calls are monopolized by 2 or 3 posters and in some cases by one poster.. This also applies to roll calls on cruises that have been completed years earlier.

HI All

If I am going to be on a ship with others for 30 days I want to know a little about all my fellow cruise mates.

I want to find others that like what I like, may be planing to take future cruises that I am looking at, or have been to places I want to visit

roll call for me has two functions

plan trips, onboard events

but even more important make friends

yours Shogun

Most of our Roll Calls have been pretty active and free flowing, discussing relevant cruise information, plus just general chit chat which I enjoy - in fact some of us still keep in touch through a 5 year old Roll Call :-)

A Roll Call I'm currently on has been extremely slow (based on our past experiences) and if it wasn't for people now giving info on their dining pref etc to the person putting together a spreadsheet, and that person responding, not much is going on.

But a few of us strayed into non cruise conversations recently and we had two people complain...so I unsubscribed and will just check in now and then since there really isn't much cruise related (tours etc) subjects left to talk about, and I don't want to be the cause of others leaving the Roll Call.

A roll call, to me, is for social networking. It's not just a place to plan tours. It's a place to meet people before you go on a cruise with them. I like that social aspect. Yes, sometimes it can be a bit over the top, but I'd rather have that than no one posting.

I always thought Roll Calls were as much a "get to know you" venue as a planning venue. I mean what is the point if not to serve as an ice breaker so that when you finally board and meet in person you have some sense of camaraderie already. I'm really surprised to find that some see them as just a planning tool.

bjkTX, I saw the comments to which you are referring and I don't blame you for feeling put off. Really sort of rude and not at all in the spirit of friendly exchange that I have always found on the Roll Calls in which I have participated.

One problem is that lots of roll calls are monopolized by 2 or 3 posters and in some cases by one poster.. This also applies to roll calls on cruises that have been completed years earlier.

I have to agree that one person answering nearly every post just makes a mess of the boards.

Archived