Appropriate tip for butler in Haven

LuvTheSea14

It really is THAT simple.

It is really as simple as people refraining from telling other people how to spend their money. That's what irks me the most about these tipping "discussions." They primarily consist of people trying to spend other people's money.

I drive an expensive car. I love it and think it is SO worth what it cost me to buy, and what it costs me to run and maintain. However, I would never think of telling anyone else that they need to spend the same amount on a car. Not my business.

If people believe there are others who do not tip their butlers enough - and you are THAT concerned about your butler's welfare and his/her family back home, then you can easily solve that problem by just DOUBLING your own tip to make up for it.

Simple.

No permission needed. But seriously, is anyone's mind going to be changed after the millionth thread on this subject?. I don't think so.

Tip.

Don't tip.

Pay the DSC

Remove the DSC.

Do what you want to do. What other folks think or do is irrelevant.

Promise to buy posters a drink, and fail to follow through. Lol.

With many repetitive threads, the OP usually already has the solution in mind before starting the thread. The OP is generally looking for affirmation.

My solution is that for every "butler tipping" thread, everyone should answer "$100 per person per day" which the OP will simply ignore and tip whatever amount that they had in mind before posting the question. If everyone posts that $100pppd is "appropriate" does it become the appropriate amount? Obiously not since there is no such thing. It's like asking "What is the appropriate clothing color to wear on embarkation day?". There is no "answer", there are only opinions.

With many repetitive threads, the OP usually already has the solution in mind before starting the thread. The OP is generally looking for affirmation.

My solution is that for every "butler tipping" thread, everyone should answer "$100 per person per day" which the OP will simply ignore and tip whatever amount that they had in mind before posting the question. If everyone posts that $100pppd is "appropriate" does it become the appropriate amount? Obiously not since there is no such thing. It's like asking "What is the appropriate clothing color to wear on embarkation day?". There is no "answer", there are only opinions.

Should you wear white if your embarkation is after labor day? If you are part of the Disney group coming from Gay Days should you wear red, if there is a group coming from Gay Days at Disney should you refrain from wearing red? Do red sports jerseys count?

In most of these the OP is not looking to know if they SHOULD tip, what they are looking for is GUIDELINES to help them with how much they should tip and whom. For many people they don't come from cultures where tipping is normal, for others they have never dealt with people that they tip beyond tipping for immediate service. So they are looking for a general idea and guidance.

If someone asks you what the best brand of X is regarding your personal hobby do you tell them to just go buy whatever they think might work or do you give them the pros and cons and other information to help them make an educated idea?

So giving people facts and a reasonable range for tipping is nothing more than giving them some basic guidance. They don't have to take anyone's advice, but if they wanted "tip what you can afford" and "tip what you feel it was worth" they have not gotten any advice at all.

If you customarily tip your waiter 15% of your total bill at a restaurant do you tip your butler 15% of your cruise fare?

People ask because they honestly don't know. And they ask because they don't want to appear cheap, but they also don't want to overtip without realizing it. For some the tip is no big deal, for others this is a trip they might take once every few years where they save up and splurge on a nice cabin for the family so that they can stop worrying about the electric bill and the car insurance payment for a week.

Telling the person who set $50 aside every paycheck so that they could take an overdue honeymoon to tip what they can afford? Hell, they may be living close to paycheck to paycheck at home but they know that they have always talked about doing THIS cruise and wanted to do it right. They can't afford to overtip, they work hard for that money, and they also know that those employees work hard for their money and don't want to stiff them.

I suggest looking at your own company data on this paysa.com You may discover something being very far from reality:D

They were exactly $10K (to the dollar) below starting pay. But I was honestly surprised that they even had that.

Telling the person who set $50 aside every paycheck so that they could take an overdue honeymoon to tip what they can afford? Hell, they may be living close to paycheck to paycheck at home but they know that they have always talked about doing THIS cruise and wanted to do it right. They can't afford to overtip, they work hard for that money, and they also know that those employees work hard for their money and don't want to stiff them.

This is a very good point, and one that I had, admittedly, not considered.

Haven cruisers, just know that whatever you tip to your butler/steward/concierge, it will be appreciated.

They are tipped - that's the DSC!!!

And only in the cruise industry are customers expected to tip the cook, laundry workers, dishwasher, etc, etc....

Ship officers and police officers are not tipped.

Edited by Cuizer2

Good range in that article as a basis. Although I disagree with tipping at the beginning of the cruise I do understand that soem people do it in hopes of getting special attention.

A tip at the beginning of a cruise is known as a bribe (in hopes of getting special attention).

I believe that Bill Gates father is/was a lawyer.

It's a joke. And yes, he comes from a wealthy family. They sent him to a private school after all, one of the very few in the country at the time that had computers..

Should you wear white if your embarkation is after labor day? If you are part of the Disney group coming from Gay Days should you wear red, if there is a group coming from Gay Days at Disney should you refrain from wearing red? Do red sports jerseys count?

In most of these the OP is not looking to know if they SHOULD tip, what they are looking for is GUIDELINES to help them with how much they should tip and whom. For many people they don't come from cultures where tipping is normal, for others they have never dealt with people that they tip beyond tipping for immediate service. So they are looking for a general idea and guidance.

If someone asks you what the best brand of X is regarding your personal hobby do you tell them to just go buy whatever they think might work or do you give them the pros and cons and other information to help them make an educated idea?

So giving people facts and a reasonable range for tipping is nothing more than giving them some basic guidance. They don't have to take anyone's advice, but if they wanted "tip what you can afford" and "tip what you feel it was worth" they have not gotten any advice at all.

If you customarily tip your waiter 15% of your total bill at a restaurant do you tip your butler 15% of your cruise fare?

People ask because they honestly don't know. And they ask because they don't want to appear cheap, but they also don't want to overtip without realizing it. For some the tip is no big deal, for others this is a trip they might take once every few years where they save up and splurge on a nice cabin for the family so that they can stop worrying about the electric bill and the car insurance payment for a week.

Beautifully expressed!!!!

And for many cruisers, the whole Haven/butler/concierge thing is brand new. Yes, we all know to tip 20% at a restaurant (at least, in America!), but people go out to restaurants regularly; going cruising is not so common, and Haven cruising even less so. That's why info and guidelines are so welcome, and there are so many threads about "how much to tip in the Haven".

It's a joke. And yes, he comes from a wealthy family. They sent him to a private school after all, one of the very few in the country at the time that had computers..

So, then revise the joke and it can still work.

My husband and I gave $100.00 to the butler and left $5.00 for the room steward and also gave the room steward and extra $25.00 on the last day. They did a great job.

The concierge did not help me at all and except for meeting her before boarding the ship, I never saw her. Called once or twice but received no help, so I did not tip her.

• 1 month later...

We did 2 cruises on the Bliss, with a week break, the concierge offered to store our extra luggage when we got off the ship! We had received amazing service for 12 days, dealing with billing issues, changing reservations, giving advice on ports & next cruises - Adrian was amazing he was given $300

The Butler had to deal with 3 pieces of luggage, we had always had snacks and coffee but didn't ask for anything special (no meals in our room, only one request for food, pickles) he received $200. He gave me hugs when he saw us on the second leg and helped hubby fix a mistake even though he wasn't our butler on the second leg.

Room steward was fast, efficient, would apologize for being in our way & leave our room anytime we showed up, (without my realizing he left). $150

On the 2nd leg:

we didn't need concierge to deal with billing issues, or luggage, we tipped $200 for a couple of reservation changes & being wonderful. Assistant Concierge got $50, as we didn't tip her anything on first leg.

Butler brought us snacks we requested, carried shore purchases to our room, replaced some souvenir pictures we lost from the first leg $200

Room steward was funny, gracious and had to deal with 7 suitcases coming off the ship, we handed $200 to her, she was shocked at how much and tried to hand it back. Our suite had 2 bathrooms and I was doing laundry by hand - she earned that tip!

Whatever you tip, I think it should be based on how much ask the staff to do & how the services are performed. (I worked with the public for 30 years, anyone who can keep smiling, gets rewarded!)

That's wonderful! But I feel awful now thinking I did not tip appropriately. We only did a week long trip to Alaska and our service from all was wonderful. I hope they were not upset that I only tipped $100 each.

We did 2 cruises on the Bliss, with a week break, the concierge offered to store our extra luggage when we got off the ship! We had received amazing service for 12 days, dealing with billing issues, changing reservations, giving advice on ports & next cruises - Adrian was amazing he was given $300

The Butler had to deal with 3 pieces of luggage, we had always had snacks and coffee but didn't ask for anything special (no meals in our room, only one request for food, pickles) he received $200. He gave me hugs when he saw us on the second leg and helped hubby fix a mistake even though he wasn't our butler on the second leg.

Room steward was fast, efficient, would apologize for being in our way & leave our room anytime we showed up, (without my realizing he left). $150

On the 2nd leg:

we didn't need concierge to deal with billing issues, or luggage, we tipped $200 for a couple of reservation changes & being wonderful. Assistant Concierge got $50, as we didn't tip her anything on first leg.

Butler brought us snacks we requested, carried shore purchases to our room, replaced some souvenir pictures we lost from the first leg $200

Room steward was funny, gracious and had to deal with 7 suitcases coming off the ship, we handed $200 to her, she was shocked at how much and tried to hand it back. Our suite had 2 bathrooms and I was doing laundry by hand - she earned that tip!

Whatever you tip, I think it should be based on how much ask the staff to do & how the services are performed. (I worked with the public for 30 years, anyone who can keep smiling, gets rewarded!)

That's wonderful! But I feel awful now thinking I did not tip appropriately. We only did a week long trip to Alaska and our service from all was wonderful. I hope they were not upset that I only tipped $100 each.

Read that line above yours again. You tip what you believe is fair. There is no "standard".

Do you think that Thurston Howell III tips the same amount as Mary Ann Summers?

Whatever you tipped them, I'd bet they were very appreciative. Some probably tipped them more and some tipped less. There is no right or wrong amount.