Appropriate tip for butler in Haven

LuvTheSea14

Just off BA and left our butler $100, but he unpacked us, set up 2 meals in the room, delivered a couple of desserts we had no capacity to eat directly after our meals, and set up a small gathering in our cabin. If you don't use them for any extras, probably no need to tip that much.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

i've never heard of anyone being unpacked so i have to ask:

who decided where things went?

assuming he did it while you werent in the room, how did you find where stuff was?

i'm assuming also you had no 'naughty things' in the suitcases, but if so that would have been interesting.

Is the mini bar free to suite guess or do you still pay for it. Never had a DOS and thought I read somewhere that it was free. Not a big deal, hardly ever use it, to many other places around ship to get snacks and such.

Is the mini bar free to suite guess or do you still pay for it. Never had a DOS and thought I read somewhere that it was free. Not a big deal, hardly ever use it, to many other places around ship to get snacks and such.

I am curious about this too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just off BA and left our butler $100, but he unpacked us, set up 2 meals in the room, delivered a couple of desserts we had no capacity to eat directly after our meals, and set up a small gathering in our cabin. If you don't use them for any extras, probably no need to tip that much.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sorry but for what you asked your butler to do sounds as if you under tipped him/her a lot. Unpacking?? You think $100 was for the extras? Hmmmm hate to see what you would have given if u weren't unpacked and had a party

Minibar not free.

You get soda, water, and bottles of liquor.

What is the correct tip to give our butler in the Haven? I am sure the amount will depend on how much we ask of our butler but an approximate amount would be helpful. Thanks

Whatever you believe is fair.

On our GV gem cruise there were 7 of us we gave the butler $700 and con. $200 and steward $150. Hope we are as lucky on the Jade and have just as awesome people.

If Omar is still the con. on Jade you are definitely in luck. He was absolutely wonderful and a great personality!! We were in a 2 bedroom Haven and Charlie was our butler - he was also amazing.

Edited by xkritter

• 1 year later...

Hi I’m new to all this and was reading these posts. Last time we cruised in the haven, it was our first time and we gave the butler $200 up front when we arrived and wish we hadn’t. He was awful so much so that I wrote a review to ncl afterwards. We tipped the haven steward and gentleman in the having dining area as we left. My questions are- do you tip at the beginning hoping for a smooth cruise or the end and secondly does the Haven staff receive the prepaid hospitality charges that we paid early? Thanks!

Hi I’m new to all this and was reading these posts. Last time we cruised in the haven, it was our first time and we gave the butler $200 up front when we arrived and wish we hadn’t. He was awful so much so that I wrote a review to ncl afterwards. We tipped the haven steward and gentleman in the having dining area as we left. My questions are- do you tip at the beginning hoping for a smooth cruise or the end and secondly does the Haven staff receive the prepaid hospitality charges that we paid early? Thanks!

A tip at the beginning is a bribe (in your case that apparently did not work out so well). Tip at the end. The butler and the concierge are not part of the tip pool.

Re tipping haven waitstaff and steward because it’s a bigger room - isn’t that why there’s an additional few dollars on your DSC? Or does NCL figure if you can afford a suite, they can pad the DSC? :>

Seriously, I get the extra tip for steward for outstanding service, I’d do that not in Haven if it was deserved—but I would tend to think that the steward and Haven restaurant staff already got their base tip from the higher DSC and then just consider extra if service was outstanding, but certainly not feel obligated otherwise.

Butler & concierge a different matter since not part of DSC.

I’m’ also curious about the poster who had butler unpack. I’d love to do that but haven’t dared ask in the past - how did it work out? (And yes, I get there is a price tag for each thing the butler is asked to do, and the more is asked the higher the tip).

My questions are- do you tip at the beginning hoping for a smooth cruise or the end and secondly does the Haven staff receive the prepaid hospitality charges that we paid early? Thanks!
Have never tipped at the beginning of a cruise, always at the end and have always gotten great service.

Re tipping haven waitstaff and steward because it’s a bigger room - isn’t that why there’s an additional few dollars on your DSC? Or does NCL figure if you can afford a suite, they can pad the DSC? :>

And also, they are responsible for a lot fewer rooms than "ordinary" stewards. So it is not like they have more to do at work.

It's like you would tip a cab driver higher % because he/she drives you a long distance compared to a shorter one. Or something. ;);););):D

What exactly does a butler or concierge do?

There are basic things you can find on NCL's website and they will also do special things, just ask, if they can they will. Sometime a good concierge or butler anticipates your needs and acts or asks.

I remember travelling with my mom and Karin, our concierge came to our suite at least once daily as the Sun had no concierge lounge. Our ship was arriving late due to weather issues and we talked about wanting to get off in time to go to Mass. after Karin left she went and researched churches/times and brought us a printout. So thoughtful since we did not ask her to do this.

I have cruised with a diabetic mother and a vegan niece. The butlers were wonderful to bring them wonderful snacks to their needs.

I also suggest reading lots of reviews by suite pax to see the things the butler and concierge did for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm sure different levels of Suites have the staff covering more or less rooms. A Butler working a GV or DOS likely isn't working as many rooms as a Butler working the Forward or Aft Penthouses or other rooms. Even the ship they are on will effect the number of rooms they serve.

That said. I'm not a multi millionaire or swimming in money. I view tips to staff as just that. TIPS.

I tip while at home and out dining but realize it's also not my responsibility to pay their wages for the day with my tip.

On a cruise I tip accordingly:

Be it that awesome waitstaff in any restaurant not just Suite restaurants.

That Bartender that remembers you by the second day.

Room stewards that make you feel at home seemingly the first day.

Butler that serves us snacks or brings a meal to the room, or providing that extra treat while enjoying the sun.

Concierge that assist with a reservation or booking an excursion.

We wouldn't dream of asking or wanting someone to unpack our bags- I tip/treat the wife with a full massage at the spa for helping(doing) that.

Not sure what others ask of staff but we get a few things requested to our Butler, but nothing much. Maybe a meal served in the room- I'd rather eat where it's being prepared so it maintains being fresh especially if multiple courses. Treats especially special treats and sweets are a great personalized service.

Concierge- Can't recall ever not booking our own reservations and don't book ship based excursions. So don't utilize them but aware they are available.

Our room stewards be it a Balcony room or a Suite have always been the ones we interact with it seems the most. They are around seemingly all day somewhere and take care of all room things.

Butler is Food and Beverage mostly.

Tip what you want. But myself. Well I'm definitely not tipping $20 pppd to anyone. I mean what do some think that person should make. Last Penthouse Suite we had the staff stated 14 cabins were under their care. Even round down to 10. At 20pppd and 2 people. That's $280 per cabin and x 10 is $2880 A WEEK!! Now factor they are on board say 40 weeks a year. Do you realize that's almost 120k a year!!! That's CASH money. No taxes. Plus that is tips. They still have wages and room and board even if no wages!

Where do I sign up to be a Butler!!

And yes before someone says it's 10 months away from family. I was in the Navy in my youth and drove OTR for years.

The last time we were on NCL the concierge was WONDERFUL and handled everything including making sure my husband who is very, very tall had a good seat that would fit his legs on the bus. She got A LOT.

I have found that the butlers were not as helpful.

We are big tippers, but we kind of wait to see what happens and who does what.

What exactly does a butler or concierge do?

If you need something inside the cabin, the butler is the person to call. I you need something outside the cabin, the concierge is the person to call.

NOT Free. DOS and above Free sodas and waters plus specified liquor perk. We remove items from fridge and put away. Haven Suites, no free mini bar.

Just got done on a cruise in the Haven. Gave the butler 50 the first time she did something for us and 100 at the end. Loved the room steward gave him 40 +100 at the end. Favorite bartender about 100. Conc 100 (i did almost all my reservations on line). One person on the trip looks like she got a few hundred worth of $5s and gave those out as tips. Thought that was a great idea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums