NCL suspends Hawaii Island ship calls indefinitely

This is really just NCL being overly cautious. Hilo is about 50 miles from the area of the eruptions, and the trade winds blow from Hilo toward the volcano. Kona is about 150 miles from the eruption area. It will on occasion get fumes from the volcano, but not much else. There is really no logic behind this decision, unless NCL is worried that the fumes might somehow harm the ships.

Personally I am trying to find a way to get to the big island to see the volcano.

This is really just NCL being overly cautious. Hilo is about 50 miles from the area of the eruptions, and the trade winds blow from Hilo toward the volcano. Kona is about 150 miles from the eruption area. It will on occasion get fumes from the volcano, but not much else. There is really no logic behind this decision, unless NCL is worried that the fumes might somehow harm the ships.

Personally I am trying to find a way to get to the big island to see the volcano.

This is exactly why Norwegian is cancelling these ports. Too many people want to go there, rent a car and drive as close to the volcano as possible. This could possibly lead to injuries or deaths and then, naturally, people will sue Norwegian for stopping there when they knew the risks.

The itineraries are currently modified through September 1. They include an overnight in Honolulu the first day and a day in Lahaina (for a total of 3 on Maui). At this point, if I was going to Hawaii I think I would just pick a land-based hotel.

The itineraries are currently modified through September 1. They include an overnight in Honolulu the first day and a day in Lahaina (for a total of 3 on Maui). At this point, if I was going to Hawaii I think I would just pick a land-based hotel.

IMO it is always better to do a land based Hawaii vacation. It is easy to island hop, and you get to see so much more of what really interests you.

We're booked in late October, hopefully the volcano will calm down by then. In the meantime, what is the revised POA itinerary to replace the former two days spent at the big island? Thanks.

Kevin

I was on the 5/19-5/26 cruise. We stayed in O'ahu until Sunday evening and Wednesday was Lahaina as mentioned by others. While I was disappointed I totally understand NCL position. The cruise was still wonderful the other islands were unaffected by air quality or tsunami warnings due to the earthquakes on the big island. Go ahead with your plans Hawaii has so much to offer and they need the tourists.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

We had vog on Oahu several years ago. And the volcano wasn’t spewing like it is now. I can imagine the air quality over the entire Big Island. I wouldn’t want to be inhaling it anywhere on that island. It stinks & it burns noses & eyes. NCL has definitely made the right decision, in my opinion. They don’t need people suing them for lung cancer.

As sad as I am for the people who live on the Big island, and I hope they are able to return soon; NCL made the correct decision.

Air quality, the unknown of future eruptions. Normal human curiosity/stupidity and Kona being a tender port I’m sure added to the decision.

I for one am very happy I did this cruise last year, and I’m sure once this devastation finally stops. The big island will probably be the most popular with everyone wanting to see the “new island”

I for one want to go back to Hawaii for sure. I loved all the islands

Peace

Kerri

Sailing on Saturday and not happy with the changes but I know there is nothing I can do, their ship and the contract does state NCL can change the itinerary. I do feel from a customer service standpoint NCL should have sent those of us traveling the changes instead of a "surprise" as those boarding this past Saturday received. Do I think NCL will make things right or at least perhaps give even a small OBC token of sorry...nope. I found out on FB about the new itinerary changes every time. In fact every change since this sad time in Hawaii I have found out on FB. NCL dropped the ball in my opinion which truly does not count for much. I plan to have a great vacation no matter where we find out we are sailing to on Saturday.

I was on the 5/19-5/26 cruise. We stayed in O'ahu until Sunday evening and Wednesday was Lahaina as mentioned by others. While I was disappointed I totally understand NCL position. The cruise was still wonderful the other islands were unaffected by air quality or tsunami warnings due to the earthquakes on the big island. Go ahead with your plans Hawaii has so much to offer and they need the tourists.

We are not booked until January, but I have a couple of questions. What types of activities/excursions were offered for Saturday & Sunday in O'ahu? What time did POA leave on Sunday evening?

IMO it is always better to do a land based Hawaii vacation. It is easy to island hop, and you get to see so much more of what really interests you.

Island hopping is easy but nowadays more time consuming and more costly than it used to be.

POA is still a good option for a single week.

We are not booked until January, but I have a couple of questions. What types of activities/excursions were offered for Saturday & Sunday in O'ahu? What time did POA leave on Sunday evening?

We are travelling in January as well, on 19th. We have 5 days in Honolulu prior to the cruise so I do hope it has all calmed down by then. Was looking forward to having my birthday in Kona

I was on a tour Saturday so I didn't arrive at the ship until late afternoon. There were tours around O'ahu and pearl harbor being offered for Sunday but I took advantage and stayed on the ship for a moderate day as I had already been on O'ahu since Wednesday and the next 2 days in Maui were fully booked. Normal activities on the ship Sunday, trivia, arts &crafts, nice Hawaiian music by pool. Muster was on Saturday but there was a make up still on Sunday also. Very nice sailaway on Sunday with hula lessons fun. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

I'm wondering if anyone scheduled to go on the POA this summer is considering canceling their trip or has contacted NCL to cancel due to the itinerary changes. We are booked on the June 30th voyage and are disappointed to lose 2 ports.

I'm wondering if anyone scheduled to go on the POA this summer is considering canceling their trip or has contacted NCL to cancel due to the itinerary changes. We are booked on the June 30th voyage and are disappointed to lose 2 ports.

You may want to check NCL's cancellation policy to see what if any money you can get back. I do not think changing a port qualifies with travel insurance unless you bought a rider to "cancel for any reason"

www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

I am wondering if other cruise ships are also not doing the BIG island.

They could be requesting that ALL ships stay away as they deal with the loss of life and homes.

Sometimes the decision is out of the hands of the cruise line. I will be doing POA in 2020 in May. Hoping all is well by then and folks have rebuilt their homes. Very Sad. Then again Guatemala has same issue. I was just there in May on the Bliss and went to colonial Antiqua which now has lots of ash and soot.

Been there twice. Not easy to island hop especially these days in airports lugging your luggage around. Since we are spending so much time on every island we are basically considering it a floating hotel. If you rent a car rather than take their tours you can see just as much as you want. Going in September so they may or may not go to the Big Island. I will deal and enjoy regardless as I have already been to that island more recently. Disappointed on another day in Honolulu as we will have arrived on the Wednesday before, but it is what it is and is preferable to a sea day. I am sure they will do everything to make up for it.