Air and water temps in January

MommyAJ6

That time of year can vary.

We have sailed in January when it was too cool to swim and we have sailed when it was still in the 80’s.

But I promise you it will be a lot warmer than NY.....:)

Lol phew! I'll be happy as long as there's no snow!

We're going to DR, Bahamas, and Grand Turk in January. How are the air and water temps there?

I’ve cruised in January before. Air temps were good.. I’d say around 80F in the Bahamas, but the water in the Atlantic was a little cool for me. Not un-swimmable, but cool. The same cruise also went to Grand cayman and Cozumel, air and water temps were a little warmer in those locales.

It is hit or miss. The Bahamas will most definitely be to cold to actually get in the water. However, the air could be in the high 60's low 70's. That is nice enough for me to lay on the beach coming from PA in Jan. In the DR and GT the temps stay pretty consistent throughout the year, you will be inthemid 70's to low 80's def warm and the water ill be too! ENJOY

It is hit or miss. The Bahamas will most definitely be to cold to actually get in the water. However, the air could be in the high 60's low 70's. That is nice enough for me to lay on the beach coming from PA in Jan. In the DR and GT the temps stay pretty consistent throughout the year, you will be inthemid 70's to low 80's def warm and the water ill be too! ENJOY

I have to ask: where do you swim in the summer? I can understand someone from South Carolina thinking the water in the Bahamas will be too cold in January to swim - but Pittsburgh?

The sea water along the south shore of Long Island, NY, around Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket and Cape Cod, Mass. rarely gets above 72 F in July and August - and millions hit the beaches there. The water temps in January at Nassau and Grand Turk average at least 72 F in January-February. Sure, the air temp can be cool so getting out of the water can be a shock- but there are many days in the 70's.

Readers of these sites should not let themselves be misled by uninformed wimps.

We're going to DR, Bahamas, and Grand Turk in January. How are the air and water temps there?

You are not in the Caribbean you will be in the what is considered the North Atlantic. Air temps could be as low as 60 during the day in the Bahamas to the 80's in the DR. Water temps should be around 70, in all locations.