Civitavecchia 2018

Cpatti8

Hi,

Any recent commendations for hotels in Civitavechhia?

I’ve searched previous threads and found some suggestions but the most popular hotel sugggested on CC is the Hotel San Giorgio and it is booked on the day I need.

We’re staying in Rome for 5 days post cruise so we only need a hotel for the night before the cruise.

Thanks in advance clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

(I also posted this in the Europe cruise port section)

We have friends who stay at Hotel De La Ville and very happy with that hotel. Additionally, we've stayed at Tenuta dell’Argento. It's an active cattle ranch on the outskirts of town. It's very popular with cruise critic folks. You have to take a taxi there, or they will pick you up at the train station and deliver you to the port the morning you sail, for free.

Last spring, we stayed at Alibrandi Palace. It is more a B&B and it met our needs. It was clean, reasonably priced and the staff was friendly and helpful. There was a plumbing issue they told us about on the way to the hotel. They had plenty of bottled water available of all needs, but the issue got resolved before dinner, even though it was a holiday. The cruise ship dock is basically on the other end of the port from the hotel. The hotel is basically across the street from the port ;however, .. Staff got a taxi for another couple and us. Relatively cheap transport and quick.

We have decided to stay at the Hilton Rome airport and travel to the port the next day, we plan to take the express train into Rome to have some lunch.

The Hilton Rome airpor offers a free shuttle to downtown in Rome. Last time I was there the drop off was near piazza Venezia.

We have stayed pre cruise twice at the Hotel Traiano in Civitavecchia, and will be hopefully staying again in September 2019 before we board the Edge.

Nice hotel in a quiet area of town, very helpful staff and a free shuttle to the ship on embarkation morning

Thank you all for the information :)

I'm a little confused about the bus/shuttle. If staying in Civitavecchia we would need to take the bus to the port then the shuttle within the port?

Although it is a short distance, my MIL has some mobility issues and we are considering a taxi that can take us from the hotel to the ship. Would a taxi take us such a short distance?

Thank you all for the information :)

I'm a little confused about the bus/shuttle. If staying in Civitavecchia we would need to take the bus to the port then the shuttle within the port?

Although it is a short distance, my MIL has some mobility issues and we are considering a taxi that can take us from the hotel to the ship. Would a taxi take us such a short distance?

Yes, have the taxi take you to the pier. Your hotel can order one for you. Also, some hotels offer free shuttle directly to the ship without having to go to the port entrance then hopping on the port bus to the pier. Ask at your hotel when making or inquiring about reservations.

We stayed at Hotel Borgo del Mare in 2014 and it was nice, reasonable and worked well for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hotel Borgo del Mare says it has a free cruise shuttle. Is this the hotel's own or are they referencing the port shuttle? Was the location of the hotel an issue? Is there somewhere to eat within walking distance? How is the area? I noticed it's not in the port area.

I would not recommend Hotel San Giorgio due some of their rooms and breakfast in the morning. Also, their small bus shuttle is nice, but the driver is always late(30 minutes both to and from port for us) due to them booking him all over the place. The two-story rooms would, IMO, not be safe for those who cannot navigate steep stairs and breakfast was just okay, but a lot of sweet things and eggs did not look attractive. Having said that, it was close to the port and clean; one night is all we stayed and I knew about it before, so it was my decision to be close to the port and arrive at the ship early, before many of the passengers, even though we had a free shuttle from them. Actually, we paid extra money for this, but should have just done the their shuttle. All in all it worked out, but we have always had drivers who were on time, so just a heads up to anyone. We have stayed in Civi several times and this is the way some of the hotels are near the port, but for one night it is what it is... We spoke to other guests and their opinions were mixed. They also store your luggage(if you arrive early)in an insecure location...FYI. After a long plane trip, it is just comforting to have a place to stay before cruising out of Civi. If the things I mentioned above are not important to you, then you should be fine.

Edited by Lastdance

Hotel Borgo del Mare says it has a free cruise shuttle. Is this the hotel's own or are they referencing the port shuttle? Was the location of the hotel an issue? Is there somewhere to eat within walking distance? How is the area? I noticed it's not in the port area.

I stayed at this hotel a number of years ago. it is not downtown,but at edge of town area. Hotel has breakfast and then serves a great Italian fare at night. There is also a small taverna about a block away.

they picked us up at airport and then took us to ship on our day of sailing.

I would email them to see if they have a vacancy. It might be all booked up too.

It is a small hotel with great service and a nice covered patio.

here is their web site.

http://www.hotelborgodelmare.it

While it’s nothing special, we have stayed at Hotel Traghetto in Civitavecchia a couple of times. It is across from the port so on embarkation day we just walk over to hop on a port shuttle to get to the ship. It’s a 10-15 minute walk into town for dinner ... a good way to stretch our legs after a travel day. We’ve taken a taxi from the train station to the hotel, but have also walked to it when we’ve had minimal luggage. Suits our needs.

I’m intrigued by the cattle ranch, though ... may have to try that another year as we’ve already booked at the Traghetto for our 2018 cruise out of Civitavecchia.

If I remember correctly it’s the hotel’s. We signed up for time when we checked in. The location was fine for us for one night, they have a restaurant and we had dinner and breakfast there and it was good! The area was quiet nothing exciting but it was a good price and the staff were great!

We are staying there also on the night of 7th June.

While it’s nothing special, we have stayed at Hotel Traghetto in Civitavecchia a couple of times. It is across from the port so on embarkation day we just walk over to hop on a port shuttle to get to the ship. It’s a 10-15 minute walk into town for dinner ... a good way to stretch our legs after a travel day. We’ve taken a taxi from the train station to the hotel, but have also walked to it when we’ve had minimal luggage. Suits our needs.

I’m intrigued by the cattle ranch, though ... may have to try that another year as we’ve already booked at the Traghetto for our 2018 cruise out of Civitavecchia.

While it’s nothing special, we have stayed at Hotel Traghetto in Civitavecchia a couple of times. It is across from the port so on embarkation day we just walk over to hop on a port shuttle to get to the ship.

We stayed here for one night last year and have booked in again ahead of our August cruise. The hotel is basic but more than adequate for one night.

We have also stayed at the Hotel Traghetto 3 times. It is very basic, clean, good breakfast and friendly. There is a grocery store up the street - 3 min away -that has anything you may have forgotten including very inexpensive wine. The walk to town for dinner or anything else is about ten minutes.

THe best part is all you have to do on embarkation day is walk across the street when you are ready and get on the free shuttle to your ship. No waiting for any transportation.

We have also stayed at hotel Traghetto and I could not recommend this hotel. My DH and I stayed there due to recommendations on CC. Maybe there are two hotels with the same name, but the one I stayed at had cellophane wrapped inexpensive pastries for breakfast and the hotel itself needs lots of TLC. My DH and I did not eat anything, but had something to drink. Our room was large and clean with a nice size bathroom, but the hotel is very much in need of updating and repair. We had to carry our luggage up to the top floor, but the bus stop is very close. I just would not want you to book it and be very disappointed, but again it is just for one night...I actually am surprised that it has been recommended several times on your thread. I just asked my DH about it and he said definitely not a hotel he would recommend either, but you can do it for one night with low expectations...we did it! It just depends on what you feel is acceptable or if you can do anything for one night! I sincerely apologize to the others who were fine with staying here, but that is my opinion.

Please realize that this is about recommending a hotel to someone else based on my personal thoughts. I just think that you could do better or at least know up front the hotel's shortcomings before you book...

Edited by Lastdance

I was torn about booking Traghetto also, as it looks very basic on Tripadvisor , but had decent reviews.

I guess we all have low expectations arriving perhaps, and most likely tired from flights, so a bed is a bed.

Good food and good wine can ease the expectation boas perhaps, one glass extra might raise the hotel a star via beer goggles ! :)

I was torn about booking Traghetto also, as it looks very basic on Tripadvisor , but had decent reviews.

I guess we all have low expectations arriving perhaps, and most likely tired from flights, so a bed is a bed.

I think you have to go with real expectations over what you will get. For €80 for room and breakfast if go thinking it’ll be 5* you’ll be disappointed.

Would I stay there for more than one night? Probably not. For the price and location close to the port and a short walk to restaurants etc. it’s fine for one night.

Pete, I agree, as with everything in life (usually!), you get what you pay for.

Since I read this thread though, I'm actually wondering should I do a day in Rome as our flight arrives at 10.30am. Thinking Civitaveccia might be very quiet for a full day......

What do people do there on the day before a cruise?

I think you have to go with real expectations over what you will get. For €80 for room and breakfast if go thinking it’ll be 5* you’ll be disappointed.

Would I stay there for more than one night? Probably not. For the price and location close to the port and a short walk to restaurants etc. it’s fine for one night.

We arrived early morning the day before our cruise and also stayed at Hotel Traghetto. We decided to go straight to Civitavecchia since we knew we would be very tired after traveling overnight. We were staying 5 days post cruise in Rome. The main reason we choose Hotel Traghetto was because we could walk to the port shuttle. We arrived around 10am and the room was not yet ready. They held our luggage and told us to come back in a few hours. We walked around the town. There is a very good pizza place on the corner. The included breakfast was just ok with mostly pastries, and muffins, but we knew we would have plenty of food on the ship. Have a great trip.

Decided we would cancel the Civitavecchia hotel and do an overnight in Rome, , last minute decision, got a deal on a junior suite in a hotel we had stayed in before, a little bit more expensive, but its Rome after all, and every day there should be a good day.

I think this perfectly sums up Hotel Traghetto. We've stayed there 3 times and would do so again for the convenience since it's right next to the port bus. It is very basic and the breakfast isn't gourmet by any means but they are nice friendly people and it is cheap!!

We've also stayed at Hotel Traiano and would stay there again if we were getting a cab to the hotel as it's some way out of town if dragging cases from the train station. They have a free shuttle to the port but it must be booked, we didn't realise this and all the later times had been already booked so we had to go at 9.30 and hang around the port - on the plus side we were first on the ship :D

We have also stayed at Hotel de la Ville. The best thing to say for this is that it's right next to the train station. Rude and inefficient staff, poorly equipped rooms (no safe, no cup at all in the room, not even a plastic cup for teeth brushing, only one accessible power point) and incredibly uncomfortable beds. I would not stay there again