Extra charge (late) yet again.

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:55 AM.
Gower Peninsula, Wales
3,202 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
My credit card statement arrived this morning and yet again a mysterious charge of $4.96 was placed against my CC a couple of days after the main account charge. The young lady I have just spoken to insisted it was due to the mini bar, until I told her we were in QG and all in cabin beverages are included, when she got slightly huffy.

It is being refunded, but just a reminder to check as this is happening far too often now.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gill

QM2 - March 2019
Ventura - February 2020
Staffordshire
2,534 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
This is happening all too often not only with Cunard but also P&O (many complaints on their forum) so it sounds to me like a Carnival UK problem and suspiciously give signals of underhand or theft problems amongst staff. They are possibly hoping that being a small amount people will not complain but its happening all too often now across both cruise lines and can add to a decent sum of money.
26 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Assuming they won't use them, are passengers allowed to have the contents of the fridge removed upon embarkation to avoid this problem?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jason & John
Next up: Queen Mary 2 Cunard November 2018, Round-trip Transatlantic Crossing

Marco Polo Orient Line August 1999, Black Sea (Last solar eclipse of the millennium)
Queen Mary 2 Cunard November 2016, Westbound Transatlantic Crossing
Queen Mary 2 Cunard November 2017, Round-trip Transatlantic Crossing
Brooksville FL
3,976 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by fourmile.ranch
Assuming they won't use them, are passengers allowed to have the contents of the fridge removed upon embarkation to avoid this problem?

I wonder if the quality of the fridge contents deteriorates when removed and replaced often ?
We never ever take from a mini-bar anywhere because of that concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Gower Peninsula, Wales
3,202 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
The one time we were in a balcony cabin, since the introduction of the mini bars, we requested the steward remove the contents. He told us he had nowhere to store them and to put them in the wardrobe - with our shoes!

We put them in a carrier bag between the sofa and the wall.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gill

QM2 - March 2019
Ventura - February 2020
Gloucestershire
341 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
The most common item that both CUNARD and P&O claim that passengers have consumed is the large bottle of water which is left on top of the mini bar, not actually in it.
Now it’s quite possible that upon embarkation in your cabin, it’s not there, maybe the cabin steward forgot to place it, and you wouldn’t necessarily know that it was missing. When you leave, the cabin steward sees it’s not there and hey presto, you get charged.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Oriana 2018
Queen Mary 2 2018
Queen Mary 2 2018
Oriana 2017
Queen Victoria 2017
Rhapsody of the seas 2016
Niuew Amsterdam 2015
Oceana 2014
Queen Elizabeth 2014
Costa Atlantica 2012
Costa Deliziosa 2011
Arcadia 2010
Oriana 2009
Century 2008
Aurora 2008
Navigator of seas 2007
Golden Princess 2006
Aurora 2005
Oriana 2004
Oriana 2003
Gower Peninsula, Wales
3,202 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
But daily water was included, so I simply can’t think what they were suggesting we had had.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gill

QM2 - March 2019
Ventura - February 2020
Iowa
1,676 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by cruiseluvva
But daily water was included, so I simply can’t think what they were suggesting we had had.
I don't notice the cost of the water bottle on top of our mini bar (we didn't use it), but I can tell you we were (correctly) charged $4.31 on the occassions we took a soft drink from the mini bar ($3.75 + 15% service charge) in our Britannia cabin, so I think we can eliminate a soft drink from the mini bar as the source of your extra $4.96 charge. My maths tell me that if it were an item subject to the 15% service charge, it would need to be an item costing $4.30 (edit: actually $4.31 which is a peculiar price and interestingly the same as the total for our soft drink after the service charge was applied) for its base price. Sorry, but for all the paper work I collected from our recent QM2 voyages (including yours), I didn't think to collect the mini bar price list.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John

"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017) ... Queen Mary 2, Norway Fjords (2018)

Staffordshire
2,534 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by bluemarble
I don't notice the cost of the water bottle on top of our mini bar (we didn't use it), but I can tell you we were (correctly) charged $4.31 on the occassions we took a soft drink from the mini bar ($3.75 + 15% service charge) in our Britannia cabin, so I think we can eliminate a soft drink from the mini bar as the source of your extra $4.96 charge. My maths tell me that if it were an item subject to the 15% service charge, it would need to be an item costing $4.30 (edit: actually $4.31 which is a peculiar price and interestingly the same as the total for our soft drink after the service charge was applied) for its base price. Sorry, but for all the paper work I collected from our recent QM2 voyages (including yours), I didn't think to collect the mini bar price list.
But the thread starter as already stated they were in a QG suite so there would be no charges from the mini bar or whatever amount of water was drunk so the charge still remains a mystery and makes you wonder and I still stand by my comments made on my earlier thread.
Iowa
1,676 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by majortom10
But the thread starter as already stated they were in a QG suite so there would be no charges from the mini bar or whatever amount of water was drunk so the charge still remains a mystery and makes you wonder and I still stand by my comments made on my earlier thread.
Agreed. Just wondering since the Cunard rep the OP spoke with insisted it was a mini bar charge, perhaps it was some item incorrectly charged based on mini bar prices in effect for Britannia cabins. Just remembered I do have a Britannia mini bar price list in my receipts. Here it is with our signature blurred out. As I see it, nothing on this Britannia mini bar price list could result in a $4.96 charge. So yes, that charge still remains a mystery.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John

"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017) ... Queen Mary 2, Norway Fjords (2018)

Gower Peninsula, Wales
3,202 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Originally posted by majortom10
Sadly I think I agree that there is some sort of a scam going on, whether by crew members or even higher up. Whatever, I intend to be vigilant from now on.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gill

QM2 - March 2019
Ventura - February 2020
23 Posts
Joined Mar 2018
Originally posted by bluemarble
Agreed. Just wondering since the Cunard rep the OP spoke with insisted it was a mini bar charge, perhaps it was some item incorrectly charged based on mini bar prices in effect for Britannia cabins. Just remembered I do have a Britannia mini bar price list in my receipts. Here it is with our signature blurred out. As I see it, nothing on this Britannia mini bar price list could result in a $4.96 charge. So yes, that charge still remains a mystery.

These prices are obscene !!

Am about to undertake my first cruise on Q.V. this Friday. Will be very vigilant about any unexpected additional charges to my credit card post cruise. But if there is, then I will be contacting the police in relation to potential fraud.
Having read the post on P&O thread about the same issues it’s obvious that this is more than just the odd mistake.
97 Posts
Joined May 2018
Originally posted by cruiseluvva
The one time we were in a balcony cabin, since the introduction of the mini bars, we requested the steward remove the contents. He told us he had nowhere to store them and to put them in the wardrobe - with our shoes!
If the steward had displayed that unhelpful attitude with me it wouldn't have stopped there.

As for additional charges from mini-bars, a friend was once attempted to be charged for an item by a hotel when they went to check out. They knew they had not used anything or even opened the mini-bar but the hotel receptionist refused to send someone to check.

So they went back to their room, emptied all the contents of the mini-bar into a bag, went back to reception and tipped the contents into the counter and asked the receptionist to say what was missing.

The charge was removed.