Barcelona hotel suggestions needed

flamomo

In the Fall we will be flying to Barcelona to board a transatlantic cruise back to FLL.

We'll arrive a day early and need to find a hotel for one night.

I've sailed out of Barcelona before, and stayed in a hotel on Las Rambla. However, in the past few years that hotel has changed hands, and I'm not sure if we'd stay there again, not knowing how it's been changed by the new owners.

Therefore, I'm hoping for some suggestions for hotels from other cruisers who have had positive experiences. Not looking for a 5 star ..... preferable someplace with moderate pricing, and know to be clean and comfortable, with helpful staff. An onsite breakfast would be nice too.

In the Fall we will be flying to Barcelona to board a transatlantic cruise back to FLL.

I've sailed out of Barcelona before, and stayed in a hotel on Las Rambla. However, in the past few years that hotel has changed hands, and I'm not sure if we'd stay there again, not knowing how it's been changed by the new owners.

Therefore, I'm hoping for some suggestions for hotels from other cruisers who have had positive experiences. Not looking for a 5 star ..... preferable someplace with moderate pricing, and know to be clean and comfortable, with helpful staff. An onsite breakfast would be nice too.

We love Hotel Colon. A little pricey but so worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've stayed at the Continental, Jazz and 1898. In order of luxury/cost:

1) 1898 - luxury hotel on Las Ramblas/expensive

2) Jazz - 3 star hotel located adjacent to Pl Catalunya/moderately priced

3) Continental - 3 star hotel located on Las Ramblas (we booked balcony rooms overlooking Las Ramblas)/least expensive option

All of the above would be very convenient to the cruise port

I stayed at Hotel Lloret it’s right on Las Ramblas if you book through their website it does include breakfast. It’s within walking distance of the Aerobús stop at Plaça Cataluyna. They were doing some facade work on the building so there was scaffolding on the building that did block the view from my room but I was only there the one night so it didn’t affect my stay. And it didn’t appear that they did and construction on the weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the Ibis Barcelona Centro Sagrada Familia. It's a budget chain but it ticks all the boxes you mentioned and the breakfast buffet is very good.

The hotel is a five-minute walk from Sagrada Familia and a metro station and there are decent places to eat in walking distance too.

Another vote for an Ibis but a different one - ibis Styles Barcelona City Bogatell

Slightly out the main heart of Barcelona but 3/4 minutes walk from the metro and only a couple of stops into the more main areas. Breakfast buffet included, although slightly chaotic when we were there. Taxi was about €20 to the port from what I recall

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Barcelona offers so many wonderful hotel choices.

My favorite for a moderate luxury stay is Casa Fuster. The breakfast room is a classic Spanish selection and very impressive.

For ease of walking right over to the Blue Port Bus to the ship the Eurostars Gran Marina is a 5 minute walk over to the bus. The origin point for tourist buses is right in front of the hotel and the bus 21 takes one up into the center of the city easily.

The Ayre Gran Via is an good budget alternative with a great Spanish style breakfast buffet. They often have very special offers on their own website. This is sometimes a good choice as they are located at the first stop of the Airport Bus when entering the city and the port is an easy taxi ride down Ave. Parallel when transferring to the ship.

We sailed out of Barcelona last May for a European cruise. We found a great apartment for one night through Air BNB. It was walking distance to Las Ramblas and so easy to find! I recommend going that route. It wasn’t so much cheaper than a hotel for us. :)

Edited by depwife
additional info

Not looking for a 5 star ..... preferable someplace with moderate pricing, and know to be clean and comfortable, with helpful staff. An onsite breakfast would be nice too.

Over the past 10 years I have stayed in a number of different hotels in Barcelona that fit that description. The only one that didn't was booked by a TA before I understood how to use reviews.

Most of my hotels have been bargains that I got by my booking strategy of booking something cancellable at a rate i can afford and keeping a look out for bargains. Eventually I have got just what I want. Each time I visited we have stayed in a different area - and so after 8 nights in Barcelona I have seen quite a few districts. I think it is important to decide what you want to do and then plan accordingly.

The last trip we wanted to go back to the Cathedral and the old town. I booked Hotel Suizo - the rate was so good that I was not holding my breath for a very good hotel. I was pleasantly surprised and would recommend it. It is right beside a metro stop Jaume 1.

We stayed at the Hotel Barcelona Colonial in the Gothic section. They do have a breakfast (which is extra), but there is a café down the block which we went to instead. Better food and less expensive!

It was a wonderful spot, we had a balcony and the vibe of the area is so nice. There is a lovely church close by, with little walkways and people singing opera, playing guitar, just wonderful people watching.

We stayed at the Hotel Barcelona Colonial in the Gothic section. They do have a breakfast (which is extra), but there is a café down the block which we went to instead. Better food and less expensive!

It was a wonderful spot, we had a balcony and the vibe of the area is so nice. There is a lovely church close by, with little walkways and people singing opera, playing guitar, just wonderful people watching.

The Gothic Quarter is a lovely area. I did a walking tour there on my last visit, and really enjoyed it.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I'll be staying in Barcelona for 2 nights pre-cruise in late May. I am traveling alone and like to do lots of sightseeing. I've found two interesting looking hotels that are in the middle of things near Las Ramblas . They are Hostal Marenostrum and Hotel Gaudi. Naturally on their websites they look like the most perfect places in the world, offering everything that I could ever need. Does anyone here have any experience with either of these?

I have not stayed at either but going on Trip Advisor they look different in that one is a hostal and one is a hotel.

I would check with the reviews there. There are 500 reviews for the hostal and 1500 for the hotel. That is a wider opinion base than you will find here on Cruise Critic. I tend to discount the reviewers who have only written one or two reviews - or those reviews that are very different to the majority.

• 2 weeks later...
I've attached the excel sheet i put together for our trip to barcelona in june 2018. I went through A LOT of the discussion threads with hotel suggestions (the top ones are listed in the doc). Plus I used booking.com

hope that this helps.

Thanks for sharing this!

• 2 weeks later...
I've attached the excel sheet i put together for our trip to barcelona in june 2018. I went through A LOT of the discussion threads with hotel suggestions (the top ones are listed in the doc). Plus I used booking.com

hope that this helps.

If you will be staying in Capri by Fraser, we might meet :)

We ended up booking at the Hotel Llio`. I booked it on the hotel's website, and got a double room for $119 Euros/night (for the free cancel option).. Seemed pretty reasonable, and it's only about 2 blocks from Las Rambla, so we'll have plenty of options for restaurants within easy walking distance.

Since it's not right on Las Rambla, it will hopefully be easier to get to by taxi from the airport. I stayed right on Las Rambla the last time, and the traffic was very heavy and made for really slow going.

Thanks for all the help!!

Just saw this thread and was going to suggest Hotel Lleo. Enjoy, wonderful location!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked Hotel Lleo for our Oct '18 precruise stay. Very economical, free breakfast/cancellation and they have secure luggage storage so we can tour Barcelona pre and post checkin. They responded very promptly to every email I sent. Location appears perfect.