Going to try Celebrity

cruise1804

Hi,

I'm looking to try Celebrity Infinity this October with my family. We have previously sailed on Royal Caribbean and NCL and even had the chance last year of sailing in the Haven on The Epic which was truly amazing!

Sailing will be my husband and I, our three kids 17,15 and 12 and my Mum who's a young 70ish!! We will be flying in from U.K.

I've picked the Celebrity Infinity as it's the only ship that we can do in the October half term kids holiday and still get a few days in Fort Lauderdale before cruise.

I would love to hear if you think we will enjoy Celebrity? I'm aware it's a "smaller" ship but I'm assuming it's similar in size to the Brillance which we have been on before? What's the atmosphere like...will my children be frowned apron? I'm worried it's more of an adults only cruise? Are there speciality restaurants? And what's the evening entertainment like? I've tried to get information from the Celebrity website but haven't found that great!

Any replies would be very welcome.

Hi,

I'm looking to try Celebrity Infinity this October with my family. We have previously sailed on Royal Caribbean and NCL and even had the chance last year of sailing in the Haven on The Epic which was truly amazing!

Sailing will be my husband and I, our three kids 17,15 and 12 and my Mum who's a young 70ish!! We will be flying in from U.K.

I've picked the Celebrity Infinity as it's the only ship that we can do in the October half term kids holiday and still get a few days in Fort Lauderdale before cruise.

I would love to hear if you think we will enjoy Celebrity? I'm aware it's a "smaller" ship but I'm assuming it's similar in size to the Brillance which we have been on before? What's the atmosphere like...will my children be frowned apron? I'm worried it's more of an adults only cruise? Are there speciality restaurants? And what's the evening entertainment like? I've tried to get information from the Celebrity website but haven't found that great!

You can look up ship specific reviews on the cruise critic website which will give you a good feel for the ship

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

I’m not sure the kids will like the ship...

Not as much to do such as RCL or NCL Epic. It’s not an adult only line so don’t worry about brining kids just they might not like it as much.

The Infinity has 2 speciality restaurants Tuscan Grill and Qzine plus a ala carte restaurant Sushi on 5.

There is a show in the theater each evening normally at 7 & 9. Often a guitar player, a DJ, a duo or trio and the House band that perform at the various bars around the ship. Some game show ( Newlywed, Liars Club) nothing involving the audience like the Quest on RC does.

I’m not sure there is much for teens to do. No Ice rink, rock wall or mini golf. Table tennis, sports court for maybe some basketball and hanging out at the pool. They do have the rooftop terrace which plays a movie everyday- repeated multiple times during the day & evening.

You have booked one of Celebrity’s smaller and older ships. Nice layout but no whistles and bells. If your kids have enjoyed the climbing walls, flow riders and ice rinks they need to know Infinity is very different.

It does have a couple of speciality restaurants called Tuscan Grill and Q’sine. Q’sine is fun dining rather than fine dining, I think the whole family would enjoy. In addition there is an added charge sushi restaurant.

The entertainment is quite slow pace. There is a teens club although at the time of year you are travelling I don’t think you will find many teens on board. Your children will be fine as long as they can entertain themselves in between....may be worth getting at least one internet package that they can use between themselves. If you book high pace shore excursions the kids may just enjoy crashing poolside on sea days...

If you haven’t already booked yet I strongly suggest you research a variety of room types and combinations. Whilst suites may be significantly more expensive they do come with added perks and can more comfortably take more sharing guests...There are also a few family veranda cabins which take five guests and have a great balcony.

I hope my comments do not come out as negatives, they are not meant to be.....your Infinity cruise should be great but it will be different (not better or worse) than your others!

Have a great cruise!

Thank you all for coming back to me so quickly! I think the kids will be fine...last year on the NCL our youngest son wouldn't do the kids club, have know idea why?! He will be to old this year to do "structured" club so I'm not concerned about him...I think when we where on the Epic they used the slides a few times but then that's because they where there....I think they mostly liked sitting in the hot tub in the Haven. I think if I explain that this ship is going to be more low key they should be fine. Our daughter reads a lot so she will be happy getting a tan somewhere and reading a book.

Although we haven't booked yet, we would be looking at 2 balcony cabins. I've enquired about the Family rooms and it seems they have all gone already? We have such a different way of booking cruises in the UK it seems....you can never seem to pick what cabin you want....your rather told what cabin you get!!!!

As it's only 4 days and we will get off the ship in Key West and Nassau (need to research these ports) I don't think the kids will suffer to much

Also can I ask, is there a buffet...like the Windjammer? I'm not fussed by the buffet but kids do enjoy it. Would the main dinning room be open for breakfast?

Thanks again for your replies.

Hayley

<<

We have such a different way of booking cruises in the UK it seems....you can never seem to pick what cabin you want....your rather told what cabin you get!!!!>>

Don't quite understand this comment as I've always booked the cabin I want.

But I hope you have a lovely cruise!

I mean that I can't ring up and ask for cabin such and such....or see what cabins are available without having to go through to a travel agent? Maybe it's something I'm missing...I normally get told the cabin numbers by the TA then research them a little before I book to see if ok....but it just seems our US travellers can see what cabins are available and can "hold" these for certain amount of days...I always feel rushed and worried cabin is going to go if I don't make a decision almost immediately?

Thanks

Hayley

I mean that I can't ring up and ask for cabin such and such....or see what cabins are available without having to go through to a travel agent? Maybe it's something I'm missing...I normally get told the cabin numbers by the TA then research them a little before I book to see if ok....but it just seems our US travellers can see what cabins are available and can "hold" these for certain amount of days...I always feel rushed and worried cabin is going to go if I don't make a decision almost immediately?

Thanks

Hayley

Just go on the U.K. website and look....It will not let you enter five guests though so for browsing just look for a 4 and a 2 or two threes depending how the family is going to be split. When you have found two veranda cabins in a location you like then contact the TA. Some TAs, however, do group bookings which can keep down the cost but may limit choice....You need to ring Celebrity direct to find out if there are any family verandas for your cruise. They are popular so may have gone but well worth a phone call for the additional space, privacy and balcony...just a thought.

An alternative could be to look at booking a Celebrity Suite and an interior cabin opposite. If on paper the three adults were in the CS then all would have access to Michael’s Club and Luminae. The children would also have access to Luminae as they are with you and under 18. Once on board you would be able to juggle rooms as it best suits. We do find the suite perks much better than those on RC....Look at the CC deck plans, YouTube and do some calculations to see what may work best....

Yes, there is a buffet. Although I have only been on S class ships and cannot speak specifically to the Infinity, I imagine that the kids will be more than satisfied with the selection and quality of the offerings at the buffet.

Sent from my HUAWEI KII-L05 using Tapatalk

Being in Oct there may not be many other teens on board. If t is only a 4 or 5 day cruise and have a few ports it will be fine because of activities in port.

On board I am sure that the adults will enjoy the ship but there may be and probably will be things lacking for the teens. They do have programs for them but they may be in different groups because of their range of age.

My niece went on a cruise with her dad, step mother and step sister when she was 17 on RCCL. She said it was very boring because of her age. She didn’t like or want to be hanging around the younger teens and wasn’t old enough to have a drink in the lounges.

Only you know your family and what they like doing. Some teens just like to relax and lay around and others need something to constantly do and for them it is still relaxing and laying around but not with the old folks.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Thanks

Hayley

Hi Haley you have to go into the booking part of Celebrity website to find out what cabins are available, choose what grade of cabin you want then when you click on that bit all the available cabins come up. It is a bit of a pain but at least you can see what is available. I have always been able to choose the cabin we wanted. If I use a TA I make sure I know what cabins I want and tell them the numbers. hope this helps

Are you going to be 5 of you in one and your Mum in a separate alone, or will one of the kids bunk with grandma?

In any case, DO look at the Corner FV cabins - they are at the very stern, on the corners, on decks 7, 8, and 9 and they are saved for families of 5. You can then either get another aft balcony cabin on the same deck, or to save some money, grandma can be in an inside right at the back, too, across the hall.

These are by far some of the best cabins on the Mclass (Infinity) ships.

Please do your homework on this, so you will feel good about whatever ship/itinerary best suits your needs and those of your family. This is one very important thing that has a direct correlation to your happiness...if you are going to spend your hard earned money, this is the least you can do, even though there are no guarantees that everything will be perfect...only in a perfect world.

Hi,

Again thank you for your replies. I have spoken to Celebrity (and TA) and all the corner family rooms have gone. We will probably either go with 2 balcony cabins, may do Concierge although not sure the extra money worth it? My Mum daughter and myself in 1 cabin, hubby and two boys in other. Otherwise may go with 2 2B connecting cabins. My TA has given me some cabin numbers too so I can do some research on these. Are the Concierge cabins same size as 2B balcony? Looked at suites but coming out a little to much.

I have looked at nearly every other cruise line and this is the only one going on the specific date we can do....we only have a week when the children are on half term so need to fit it all in.

I think the kids will be fine...they are not babies and can entertain themselves...don't feel (as I've mentioned before) that they will suffer!!

Thanks

Hayley

I've also cruised NCL and RCI (as well as others), I've found that on any line, children are not frowned upon assuming they're well behaved. In fact the wait staff on Celebrity, for instance, seems to really enjoy kids, perhaps because kids are usually not a huge presence. While you won't find nearly as many children on X as on the other lines you mentioned, if your kids are fine w/o the bells and whistles on the other cruise lines, I say go for it!

Hi,

Again thank you for your replies. I have spoken to Celebrity (and TA) and all the corner family rooms have gone. We will probably either go with 2 balcony cabins, may do Concierge although not sure the extra money worth it? My Mum daughter and myself in 1 cabin, hubby and two boys in other. Otherwise may go with 2 2B connecting cabins. My TA has given me some cabin numbers too so I can do some research on these. Are the Concierge cabins same size as 2B balcony? Looked at suites but coming out a little to much.

I have looked at nearly every other cruise line and this is the only one going on the specific date we can do....we only have a week when the children are on half term so need to fit it all in.

I think the kids will be fine...they are not babies and can entertain themselves...don't feel (as I've mentioned before) that they will suffer!!

Thanks

Hayley

Too bad about the family FV's, but 2 cabins side by side will work fine.

And as far as the teens go, they won't have the skating rinks and rock climbing, but every Celebrity cruise we've been on during the vacation breaks has seen packs of them roaming around on their own, looking like they are having a fine time doing what teens do, just hanging out. So I would not worry about them. I don't even know if they have organized stuff for teens, probably the first day or so just so they can "find" each other and make their own plans from there.

Uh oh just saw October...that is not break time at all for US schools, so there will be much less kids on board than other times.