Alaska Brown Bagging It?

CM1984

If memory serves, I have read somewhere on CC that HAL ships offer a packed lunch that passengers can get on the Lido, and take off ship in Alaska ports.

Anyone familiar with this? Sounds like it might be fun, in case you don't want to purchase lunch or are going on an excursion. Have an idea what is included? (yes, I do enjoy eating!):cool:

Edited by CM1984
Typos

If memory serves, I have read somewhere on CC that HAL ships offer a packed lunch that passengers can get on the Lido, and take off ship in Alaska ports.

Anyone familiar with this? Sounds like it might be fun, in case you don't want to purchase lunch or are going on an excursion. Have an idea what is included? (yes, I do enjoy eating!):cool:

Are you confusing this with boxed lunches provided on some tours, maybe? Those lunched would be provided from a land based supplier, not the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personally I'd rather have lunch at a local place and get local food. I'm eating plenty of cruise ship food already, and one of the attractions of Alaska is the fresh seafood.

I agree with you. We stay away from some because they are out of season and have been thawed before cooking. Fresh Haly is the best fish to eat.

We enjoy lunch in local places especially when one can have such fresh, tasty delicious fish as in Alaska. :) For me, a highlight of travel is enjoying local foods in restraurants with local people.

I have not heard of HAL packing brown bag lunches to bring ashore in Alaska,. Usually no food is permitted to b e brought off the ship in most ports.

Edited by sail7seas

As others have said, HAL doesn't provide box lunches in Alaska. At one time I think they provided them for the Copper Canyon tour in Mexico (but that doesn't apply in this case :) )

If you book your excursions through HAL on the website, there will be symbols to indicate whether you get fed or not. An "apple" symbol is a snack, and I think they use a knife and fork for a full-ish meal.

If you book with an independent operator, ask them about what they provide in the way of food.

There's a fairly good fish&chips stand right at the dock in Ketchikan, if you are in berth 1, 2, or 3 there.

There's a row of food stands along the dock in Juneau.

The Legion in Sitka is known for its burgers. I haven't been to Skagway for too many years to give you current info.