Warning - Internet on Carnival Glory

jas1178

Just got back from the Carnival Glory, and found the internet to be the worst ever experienced. Literally, browsing websites was impossible most of the time. The problem was not speed related, it just wouldn't load. The problem isn't just Wifi based, the Funhub machines have the same problems. Stop by guest services, they know...and will offer a full refund. The crew is all very aware, because they are experiencing the same thing. In fact, most will joke that it doesn't work at all.

According to the GSM, it has been like this for several months, and nothing has been done to fix it.

I'm no stranger to slow ship internet (even the old per minute plans)...had it just been slow, I could have managed...

I ended up in a pretty tough spot with no internet on board, and we missed our last port (Roatan).

Carnival - Fix the issues, and don't just keep issuing refunds!

Just home from same cruise. You are correct; it was unreal. Ours was upgraded to Premium and still no service. Finally refunded. It was the same last October when we were onboard. Something is seriously wrong!

Yes, it was a nice cruise, even still. The missed port certainly couldn't be helped. Dream also missed Roatan that day. Wind and currents to blame.

Just home from same cruise. You are correct; it was unreal. Ours was upgraded to Premium and still no service. Finally refunded. It was the same last October when we were onboard. Something is seriously wrong!

Yes, it was a nice cruise, even still. The missed port certainly couldn't be helped. Dream also missed Roatan that day. Wind and currents to blame.

It was great meeting you at the Diamond Party and chatting with you this morning while awaiting debark. Hope to sail with you again soon :D:D:D:-)

Well this is disconcerting. We'll be on Glory in June. Don't surf the net, but like to use wifi to keep in touch with one another, either with a messaging app or had hoped to try the Hub app and its chat feature.

You are on vacation, unplug and enjoy it. If you have work, then don’t go on vacation [emoji106]
Might I suggest that you handle your vacations how you want and let others do the same.

Well this is disconcerting. We'll be on Glory in June. Don't surf the net, but like to use wifi to keep in touch with one another, either with a messaging app or had hoped to try the Hub app and its chat feature.

Good news for you, WiFi for the hub works fine.

thats really not a smart comment... if you have to work dont go on vacation?

what about those of us who own businesses, work for outselves, self employed? i have no choice but to work while on a cruise... its very easily done in my case.

receive info from clients, assign to staff, review completed work by staff, forward to clients, make adjustment arrangements as required, send invoices, and the like.

My second business is vacation rentals, again, receive the booking and payment, send info to party renting the villas. Not difficult

However it is something that has to be done, and something that cant be left to others ( they all have their own workload and i am the owner who oversees and communication between client and business.

I was able to cruise 16 times last year, all 7 or more days, some up to 14 days, travelling from Canada.

Doing this work can be done from anywhere, so to say if you have to work dont cruise, is crazy.

Anyone with their own businesses who are hands on, knows, that, if that were the rule you lived by, we would NEVER vacation, as, owning your own businesses means you are involved one way or another 365 days per year.

Note however, owning this businesses is also what allows me to do 16 cruises in one year, in addition to the several land based vacations we took last year

Sorry but, working from the deck of a cruise ship beats working from an office, and if working a couple hours a day while on vacation becuase i own my own businesses, means i can do as many as i wish when i wish if i wish... ill take it

but yyes we need internet. I dont like to leave my clients hanging

Question if I may....if memory serves me correctly sole proprietors have been around a lot longer than the Internet. These people never took a vacation prior to the 1980s? [emoji848]. There was no texting and instant communication back then and plenty of those people took vacations. Giving clients plenty of advanced notice takes care of that. Unplug and enjoy time with your family. The work will be there when u get back

Might I suggest that you handle your vacations how you want and let others do the same.

Imessaging also works fine.

oh not him again: news flash, hotels and resorts have excellent internet. We are currently aboard the Conquest and yes the internet sucks. the worst is FB which will not fully load. i assume because it is so picture intensive. Cruise Critic loads Ok, albeit slow

In high school and the few years after graduation, I worked for private businesses. Thinking back, I don't remember the owner ever going off anywhere very often. If he did, there was a family member who could step in and run things for the short amount of time he was gone.

Thanks to 21st century technology, vacations are more do-able for business owners.

He had someone step in to run things and hold down the fort while he was gone....problem solved [emoji106]. More people should do that. Problem with some people’s personality is they are control freaks with the mindset of “Well if I don’t do it, it won’t get done right”. They like to think they are smarter and more important than they actually are

You are on vacation, unplug and enjoy it. If you have work, then don’t go on vacation [emoji106]

Perfect response. If you absolutely cannot be unplugged for a week, you are not ready for a vacation. Save your money and go when you are!

I guess my point was that vacations were a very rare commodity in those days. These days, it's much easier to get away thanks to being able to communicate. I can work from home if I want (though I choose not to) and many of my coworkers do just that. If I'm sick, I can bring my laptop to my house and save my sick leave.

Times have changes from the '80s. Heck, when I was a kid we didn't even have digital watches or answering machines.

Absolutely times have changed. That’s not the point. Sole proprietors prior to the world of “instant communication” would take vacation, and it all worked out. If you plan accordingly and set proper expectations with clients, a week isn’t a big deal. Now, if the claim is that you are truly that important and no one on the face of this earth can do what you do, then leaving your “business empire” [emoji849] to the success or failure of a ships wifi connection is not a very sound business decision [emoji23]

How about internet in ports? My friend works in IT and earns money while on cruises. These jobs were not around prior to the internet. Your argument is baseless. What does this have to do with a "business decision"?

Wrong.

You paid for a service that they are promoting and selling, yet can't offer. You get better wireless connection on the far side of the moon than some of these ships. It's 2018 for Christ sake

For the OP, I've never heard of great internet at sea, so I suppose that's the risk you take, unfortunately.

The WiFi on the Anthem and the Oasis of the Seas as well as NCL Breakaway is great. No different than our home WiFi so it is possible to have great internet at sea. Carnival has just chosen not to make that investment but I think they will have to start keeping up soon. Fast WiFi in this day and age is important to most people.

Edited by Jerseygirl1416

Totally agree! Was on victory two weeks ago And purchased "premium wifi" so I could work. Couldn't even download an email! It was terrible. Had to work in ports. On RCI Harmony of the Seas right now. Exactly like land-based wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong.

You paid for a service that they are promoting and selling, yet can't offer. You get better wireless connection on the far side of the moon than some of these ships. It's 2018 for Christ sake

And if it doesn’t work, they are refunding you your money. Now you know that the internet service on a cruise ship is spotty at best. If your “empire” is that vital to the cogs of modern civilization (Please tell me you are picking up on the hint of sarcasm [emoji16]), then maybe a cruise vacation isn’t for you. Make a smarter decision and stay someplace where you can be plugged in. Albert Einstein nailed it in his definition of insanity. If you consistently have issues with cruise ship WiFi, but you MUST BE connected, why would you continue to cruise???? Go do something else and stop whining about it [emoji849]

Edited by Oh Not Him Again

Again your statement is without merit. Internet cruise service is only as good as they make it. I have been on private boats with satellite internet and it was as fast as at home. It's the ship, not the internet.

Again your statement is without merit. Internet cruise service is only as good as they make it. I have been on private boats with satellite internet and it was as fast as at home. It's the ship, not the internet.

Of course it’s the ships setup. No doubt about that. However if you consistently cruise 1 line and you consistently have issues....MAKE A CHANGE!!!! Don’t whine about it. If internet is vital to your every waking minute, and Carnivals service is spotty at best, don’t cruise. Book a land vacation....sheesh

Of course it’s the ships setup. No doubt about that. However if you consistently cruise 1 line and you consistently have issues....MAKE A CHANGE!!!! Don’t whine about it. If internet is vital to your every waking minute, and Carnivals service is spotty at best, don’t cruise. Book a land vacation....sheesh

Why so much concern with how others choose to spend their vacation time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am retired ..I don’t NEED to have internet but when I vacation I like to relax and part of that to me is being able to surf the net, catch up on fb, read the news etc. I expect it to be slow and that’s ok, but to me it’s like telling someone..don’t bring a book on a cruise...why have your nose stuck in i t reading when you can do other things? Everyone has their own way of relaxation and fun

Sent from my iPad using Forums