Carnival transfers

bubbles1209

So, in doing online research, I've read you can purchase the Carnival transfers for the day of the cruise......but have also read in Carnival's fine print that they aren't responsible for transportation for those that fly in a day early. :confused:

Have also been told you can just purchase the transfers at the airport & it will just be charged to your S&S account.......but in Carnival's fine print, it says for those who have booked 5 days or less before the cruise. We're thinking of going in a day early, but want to get the transfers. We got a pre-night hotel with airport shuttle, so which way to go with this one?:cool: Shuttles to Galveston I'm learning isn't cheap

You mis read. You are responsible for your transportation if you fly in the day before on your fly in day. If you return to the airport on the day of the cruise, you can indeed use Carnival transfer to the port. ( done it more than a dozen times). Some people think that they can use the Carnival transfer when they arrive days before their cruise to get to the port city or their hotel. The transfer people have a list the the "hotel" people and people on incoming flights.

You mis read. You are responsible for your transportation if you fly in the day before on your fly in day. If you return to the airport on the day of the cruise, you can indeed use Carnival transfer to the port. ( done it more than a dozen times). Some people think that they can use the Carnival transfer when they arrive days before their cruise to get to the port city or their hotel. The transfer people have a list the the "hotel" people and people on incoming flights.

So did you book your transfers online, or just get them at the airport?

Have read lots of people have done it, it's the 4th sentence in the below quote that bothers me I guess.....yes, I'm a worrywart:o

Conditions and Restrictions

Transfers operate on the day of embarkation or debarkation only. Cruise only guests will be required to provide flight information via Online Checkin when purchasing transfers. When flight details have been recorded in Online Checkin updates are the responsibility of the guest. Carnival is not responsible to provide transfers for guests who schedule flights outside of the service times or provide incorrect flight information. The vehicle operator is an independent contractor. Carnival assumes no liability for losses, damages or injuries in connection with the use of the operator. Carnival reserves the right to discontinue transfer service at anytime. Prices and acceptable flight times are subject to change without notice.

So did you book your transfers online, or just get them at the airport?

Have read lots of people have done it, it's the 4th sentence in the below quote that bothers me I guess.....yes, I'm a worrywart:o

Conditions and Restrictions

Transfers operate on the day of embarkation or debarkation only. Cruise only guests will be required to provide flight information via Online Checkin when purchasing transfers. When flight details have been recorded in Online Checkin updates are the responsibility of the guest. Carnival is not responsible to provide transfers for guests who schedule flights outside of the service times or provide incorrect flight information. The vehicle operator is an independent contractor. Carnival assumes no liability for losses, damages or injuries in connection with the use of the operator. Carnival reserves the right to discontinue transfer service at anytime. Prices and acceptable flight times are subject to change without notice.

OR...........they mean they're not responsible to provide transfers outside of the service times.....which means if I get there a day early they aren't responsible then, but if I book a transfer & head back to the airport the next morning which is the day of the cruise, THEN they'll provide transportation:eek:......yep, I think the lightbulb just clicked on for me :o

Thank you for your reply & your help

Edited by bubbles1209

Hi. Just wondering....if I head back to airport to catch carnival transfer on the day after I flew in, will I need to go through some type of security check??? Will it be difficult to find the bus???

We did this when we cruised from New York one time. Totally unfamiliar with the the area. We flew in the night before, stayed in a hotel with an airport shuttle. Took the shuttle back to the airport the next day and got the Carnival transportation to the port.

I purchased it ahead of time and checked to see where to meet. The meeting place was after you pick up your luggage, so we didn't have to go through any security checks.

It worked for us. Most others ports we have just used a taxi. Do what you are comfortable with and have a great cruise!

the Transfer pickup is always in the Lugggage claim area.... no security to get in. We have flown into city the night before more than once, and then taken the hotel free shuttle back to airport, they drop us off at the transfer checkin area (all the hotels near an airport do this as most people who fly in, do it the day before). Easy peasy.

I would never book a Carnival transfer!

It is not usually cost effective.

You cannot be on your own schedule but are at the mercy of the bus and other people.

We are too independent to deal with this sort of transportation!

You cannot be on your own schedule but are at the mercy of the bus and other people.

True most of the time, but OP mentioned Port of Galveston, which is quite far from any of the airports in Houston (either HOU or IAH)....but we are with you in most cases riffatsea!. We too are independent travellers where cost, timing and location makes a difference.

However, for Galveston, we are actually using the CCL transfer one way (due to COST, believe it or not), something we rarely do, and using a private shuttle service the other way. Bubbles1209, check out Galveston Express, they ended up cheaper for one of our legs....so we are using a combo of CCL transfer and private shuttle for our upcoming Liberty cruise in Nov. Just takes researching (timing, location and $$cost for us).

Hi. Just wondering....if I head back to airport to catch carnival transfer on the day after I flew in, will I need to go through some type of security check??? Will it be difficult to find the bus???

They are usually waiting by the baggage claim. You won't need to go through security to meet them.

OR...........they mean they're not responsible to provide transfers outside of the service times.....which means if I get there a day early they aren't responsible then, but if I book a transfer & head back to the airport the next morning which is the day of the cruise, THEN they'll provide transportation:eek:......yep, I think the lightbulb just clicked on for me :o

For example, if you have already purchased transfer and you go to complete your boarding document, it will not accept your flight time if it is before their recommendation time. It is possible that if you book within 5 days of the cruise, they may not be able to accommodate like a late flight. It is also possible ( not likely at most airports) that if you just walk up to try to book, that there is no more transfers available. I always hop a hotel shuttle ride back to the airports to baggage claim and catch the Carnival shuttle. As a solo cruiser, the Carnival cost is fine.

True most of the time, but OP mentioned Port of Galveston, which is quite far from any of the airports in Houston (either HOU or IAH)....but we are with you in most cases riffatsea!. We too are independent travellers where cost, timing and location makes a difference.

However, for Galveston, we are actually using the CCL transfer one way (due to COST, believe it or not), something we rarely do, and using a private shuttle service the other way. Bubbles1209, check out Galveston Express, they ended up cheaper for one of our legs....so we are using a combo of CCL transfer and private shuttle for our upcoming Liberty cruise in Nov. Just takes researching (timing, location and $$cost for us).

Does supershuttle operate out of Galveston? Have used them for a number of transfers to cruises.

So, in doing online research, I've read you can purchase the Carnival transfers for the day of the cruise......but have also read in Carnival's fine print that they aren't responsible for transportation for those that fly in a day early. :confused:

Have also been told you can just purchase the transfers at the airport & it will just be charged to your S&S account.......but in Carnival's fine print, it says for those who have booked 5 days or less before the cruise. We're thinking of going in a day early, but want to get the transfers. We got a pre-night hotel with airport shuttle, so which way to go with this one?:cool: Shuttles to Galveston I'm learning isn't cheap

Carnival airport transfers to the ship only operate on embarkation day. If you fly in prior to embarkation day, you can either arrange your own transfers, or just return to the airport on embarkation day to take Carnival's transfer to the port.

In Galveston, I stayed one night pre-cruise at the Doubletree airport hotel which offers free airport shuttle. That is the closest hotel to Houston Hobby. I used that free shuttle to transfer back to the airport on embarkation day and then took Carnival's transfer to the port. I have to say it was one of the slowest Carnival transfer services I've ever used. So don't plan on getting to the ship to enjoy early embarkation because it won't happen. They will leave you sitting in the airport for a long time, then leave you sitting on the bus for a long time, and then you will take that long drive to Galveston.

If you do not purchase a transfer back to the airport from the ship for after the cruise, that transfer can be purchased at Guest Services onboard during your cruise and that will be charged to your sail and sign account. If you purchase transfers prior to the cruise, it will not be charged to your sail and sign account onboard.

You are correct. Galveston transfers are not cheap, and they are also a pain in the behind. So just pack your patience, expect the worst, and hope for the best.

No need to go through security. Just have your ride drop you at the ground transportation area instead of at the usual drop-off location where passengers check in for their flight. Ground transportation is at the baggage claim area--where you usually go after your flight to pick up your luggage. Carnival representatives are easy to spot in the baggage claim area. They wear Carnival logo shirts or jackets and hold Carnival signs and are usually wandering around in the baggage claim area provided you don't arrive really early in the day on embarkation day.

You are correct. And more simply stated, Carnival only offers transfer service to the port on cruise embarkation day.

I've learned over time not to ever say never.

I normally don't book the Carnival transfers either, but Galveston is expensive no matter who you choose to go with it's looking like. Normally we grab a cab because we're right there at the port, rather than do the hotel shuttle which is a lot of waiting, but this time we will not be. The cost of getting to the port is expensive no matter who you seem to choose, and it's looking like the shuttle services are mostly shared and the issue of being at the mercy of the bus & others will be a factor no matter who I choose. Yes, we can purchase more private transfers, but they are more pricey than the Carnival transfers by quite a bit more, which is money I can be enjoying our vacation.

Had been looking at Galveston Express for sure......until I read some of the reviews, you may wanna check that out, and look at more than 1 review site;)

What is your airport/port? That will determine the best way! For instance, between MIA and POM, a cab is the best way (or, Uber....) Same with Ft. Laud and Port Everglades...a cab is fast and cheap.

If you're going between MIA and Ft. Laud...a cab is WAY TOO costly...a shuttle there is the best option...same with Orlando to Canaveral......

It really depends on where you fly to, and where you cruise from.

What is your airport/port? That will determine the best way! For instance, between MIA and POM, a cab is the best way (or, Uber....) Same with Ft. Laud and Port Everglades...a cab is fast and cheap.

If you're going between MIA and Ft. Laud...a cab is WAY TOO costly...a shuttle there is the best option...same with Orlando to Canaveral......

It really depends on where you fly to, and where you cruise from.

Flying into Houston the day before our cruise out of Galveston

<sigh> Yes I get it that Galveston may be different.

That's one reason we have looked at cruises there but have rejected the idea as not worth the trouble!

Have you all also checked out renting a car for the day to drive to the port?? Is that also terribly expensive??

DH really hates being on someone else's schedule so for us if we went there we'd still probably spend the money and do it ourselves.

I know you are coming in the day before, but I wanted to share this with you.

We flew in to New Orleans from Lubbock on the day of the cruise. on a whim, I purchased the transfers.

Due to my own stupidity of causing us to miss our flight in Lubbock and when we finally got on a flight and made it as far as Austin, the weather caused a long delay.

It became quite clear we would not make it to New Orleans in time. There is a phone number on your boarding pass to phone if you see that you are running late.

We made it in to New Orleans at ten after three. To my disbelief, Carnival started calling me and said they were waiting for us at baggage claim.

They were, they grabed our bags, and put us on their big bus and away we went.

Finally at ten til four we boarded the Dream which left at four.

This was a miracle because it says in the fine print that they stop picking up at two.

You will never hear me bad mouth Carnival. They went above and beyond.

I have used Carnival, Royal and Norwegian transfer service from Houston & George Bush Airport to Galveston and Port of Houston. I was told by the reps that the busses are waiting at the port for the first round of passengers to debark. Once loaded with the first group, they are off to the airport. When they arrive and unload, the bus pulls around to baggage claim area(where we have been waiting)and off we go. Last cruise on Norwegian in January 2016, we left the airport about 10 am for the port and must have got there about an hour later. We do the same thing as many of you. Fly in the day before, free shuttle to hotel, free shuttle back to airport in the morning and off to the port. Since it is just my husband and myself, it has proven to be the most cost effective when in Texas. To tell you the truth, it is kinda exciting at the airport in the morning with everyone so happy, laughing, smiling and just waiting to get to the ship. The reps there are so friendly and happy too. I have enjoyed the bus rides to the port just looking at the scenery of the great state of Texas.