Oosterdam has WATER SLIDE !

JoeMGiants

Oosterdam Veterans:

The BERLITZ "Complete guide to Cruising & Cruise Ships 2009", 18th Edition, on page 502 says about the Oosterdam, "Another smaller pool is available for children; it incorporates a winding water slide that spans two decks in height."

Since we did not see this feature on the sister ship Noordam and cannot find it on the Oosterdam deck plan; can anyone verify that this is a true statement? :confused: If so, where is it located?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Oosterdam Veterans:

The BERLITZ "Complete guide to Cruising & Cruise Ships 2009", 18th Edition, on page 502 says about the Oosterdam, "Another smaller pool is available for children; it incorporates a winding water slide that spans two decks in height."

Since we did not see this feature on the sister ship Noordam and cannot find it on the Oosterdam deck plan; can anyone verify that this is a true statement? :confused: If so, where is it located?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Having been on the Oosterdam in late 2009, I would say this 2009 Berlitz guidebook is incorrect. No two story slide that I saw. We did see some whimsical tiled chairs in the aft pool, but a slide from them would be a two foot drop .... and straight down and kiddies were not even allowed in this pool.

Sounds like Berlitz needs to take a brush up course in HAL as a Second Language.

I don't remember seeing it when I was scaling the climbing wall last month on my cruise of the "O"...

...or maybe that was the atrium staircase when I imbibed too much...

(no, no slide)

I found multiple mistakes in the 2007 Berlitz Cruise edition back in December, 2006. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=455794 . Berlitz has lost its way. Berlitz phrase books were way out of date at one time, too. I remember them offering phrases for telegrams and railway porters when they should have had help for e-mails and internet use.

I found multiple mistakes in the 2007 Berlitz Cruise edition back in December, 2006. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=455794 . Berlitz has lost its way. Berlitz phrase books were way out of date at one time, too. I remember them offering phrases for telegrams and railway porters when they should have had help for e-mails and internet use.

Yes, at least the last few editions of Douglas Ward's Complete Guide to Cruising and Cruise Ships have had numerous inaccuracies in the text, which apparently nobody bothers to verify or update. It is not a reliable resource. I realized this after my first couple of cruises with HAL, when it was obvious that what I saw and experienced on board did not always concur with Douglas Ward's text. In my judgment, if the information provided about HAL could be wrong, so could a lot of other entries regarding other cruise lines. For instance, the above-mentioned description of the non-existent children's pool and slide has been featured in each edition of the last few years. It's still an interesting book, however.

Yes, at least the last few editions of Douglas Ward's Complete Guide to Cruising and Cruise Ships have had numerous inaccuracies in the text, which apparently nobody bothers to verify or update. It is not a reliable resource. I realized this after my first couple of cruises with HAL, when it was obvious that what I saw and experienced on board did not always concur with Douglas Ward's text. In my judgment, if the information provided about HAL could be wrong, so could a lot of other entries regarding other cruise lines. For instance, the above-mentioned description of the non-existent children's pool and slide has been featured in each edition of the last few years. It's still an interesting book, however.

I agree. It used to be such an excellent book, but it seems whoever does the copy editing (or fact-checking older reviews) is slipping up badly: the latest addition still has the Oosterdam gaffe, and lists Celebrity Century as having a hydro pool in the spa - it was actually removed during the 2006 refit.

Just one of many things that bothers me about a lot of these so-called 'guide' books...

Oosterdam Veterans:

Thanks in advance,

Joe

I'll make it really easy.

There is no HAL ship that has any kind of slide whatsoever

Why? How would that affect you?

Serious questions. Not being a wise guy.

It would change the atmosphere from quiet, subdued to high energy and noisy.

I prefer the former, and that's what HAL has provided.

Bite your tongue there is a waterslide on any HAL ship.

Thankfully, DBA has confirmed that is not the case.

I seriously hope there never is any such thing on any blue hulled HAL beautiful ship.

A water slide on HAL? Heaven forbid management even thinks about it for a second. If a passenger must have a water slide to make or break a cruise, then there are plenty of other lines which will be happy to accommodate. Thankfully, HAL isn't one of them.

Oosterdam Veterans:

Thanks in advance,

Joe

We just back from Oosterdam and did not see any water slides or additional children's pool. It only has 2 pools - aft and one with the dome. Both of them get extremely crowded during the sea days.

Oosterdam Veterans:

Thanks in advance,

Joe

No need for a waterslide on the Big O. The kiddies on Oosterdam use the outside scenic elevators instead, no water needed!

not sure if it's in the newest edition but this 'authoritive' guide also said you couldn't get a full breakfast via room service. I have two of these books and I although love then as a quick reference there are many many inaccuracies.

no point in sending updates (as they ask you to) as they are just ignored

pete

not sure if it's in the newest edition but this 'authoritive' guide also said you couldn't get a full breakfast via room service. I have two of these books and I although love then as a quick reference there are many many inaccuracies.

no point in sending updates (as they ask you to) as they are just ignored

pete

Just think of all those travelers out there who don't know about CC and have to depend on books like that for their information and then are disappointed when they find out the truth.

Just think of all those travelers out there who don't know about CC and have to depend on books like that for their information and then are disappointed when they find out the truth.

They can't handle the truth

Archived