Dry Swimsuit Questions

Will your stateroom give you access to a verandah? My family likes to dry wet swimsuits out on the porch under the sun. If available on your ship, you could also use the retractable clothes line in the shower.

I'm definitely planning to bring a spare swimsuit on my next cruise, something that I've always managed to forget to bring in the past LOL.

I rinse at the shower at the pool, dry pretty much off on my lounger, then lay out the suit when I take it off in the cabin. I've already rinsed in the shower...no need to rinse it again! You can do a thorough laundry when you get home!

The sun is what fades your swimsuit...not so much chlorine, and certainly not salt-water!

I alway bring these clothespins with hooks. we hang the wet stuff on the bathroom clothesline until they stop dripping and then move them to hang around the room. I think they dry faster. And with 4 people, 2 kids the clothesline fills up fast and we dont usually have a balcony.8ec75e339f9c457dd965744a54a5993c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I always take a few clothes pegs with me & peg our wet swimmers to the backs of the chairs on the balcony to dry. No chance of losing them in a stiff breeze that way!

Not to be a police, but clothing on the balcony is not allowed and is a fire hazard. I do as Host Clarea - rinse out my suit and roll it in a towel and step on it. Then I hang on the bathrobe hook in the stateroom. This time I have brought some magnetic hooks for the room, so hoping they work! I usually bring 2 or 3 swimsuits, so I always have a dry one ready.

Rinse in fresh water. Anything thing wet with salt water takes much longer to dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And the physics of this is?

Dissolved salt (any salt) raises vapor pressure (lowers the boiling point) of water because it interferes with the hydrogen bonding in water. It is this hydrogen bonding that gives the low molecular weight water an abnormally high vapor pressure (boiling point). The boiling point of a liquid is the temperature at which its vapor pressure equals atmospheric pressure. On a ship in the ocean for a practical purposes that is 14.7 lbs/square inch or 1 bar in SI units. Most other compounds of molecular weight of 18 are a gas at room temperature (ie methane (16), ethane (30)). Since the vapor pressure is higher, the water evaporates faster. I am not talking perceptibly faster, but it will be measurably faster if you put the swim suit with salt water on a accurate balance and watched the weight loss versus a swim suit with ships fresh water (which is near distilled water in purity).

Sorry I teach chemistry among other things.

Dissolved salt (any salt) raises vapor pressure (lowers the boiling point) of water because it interferes with the hydrogen bonding in water. It is this hydrogen bonding that gives the low molecular weight water an abnormally high vapor pressure (boiling point). The boiling point of a liquid is the temperature at which its vapor pressure equals atmospheric pressure. On a ship in the ocean for a practical purposes that is 14.7 lbs/square inch or 1 bar in SI units. Most other compounds of molecular weight of 18 are a gas at room temperature (ie methane (16), ethane (30)). Since the vapor pressure is higher, the water evaporates faster. I am not talking perceptibly faster, but it will be measurably faster if you put the swim suit with salt water on a accurate balance and watched the weight loss versus a swim suit with ships fresh water (which is near distilled water in purity).

Mike drop! [emoji6]

If the suit is mostly dry and you don't want to put on a damp swimsuit use the hair dryer to finish drying it. If you are worried about the heat of the dryer hold it farther from the suit. I've used the hair dryer on various articles of damp clothing to good effect.

Not to be a police, but clothing on the balcony is not allowed and is a fire hazard. I do as Host Clarea - rinse out my suit and roll it in a towel and step on it. Then I hang on the bathrobe hook in the stateroom. This time I have brought some magnetic hooks for the room, so hoping they work! I usually bring 2 or 3 swimsuits, so I always have a dry one ready.

Additionally, it will dry better in the room despite it being cooler (if you have your AC on) because the humidity level in the room is much less than that outside.

I've also heard of people bringing a shammy to roll suits up in to dry them.

I appreciate this. So I think you are saying that salt water would evaporate faster than fresh water?

First, that chemistry lesson ROCKED!

Second, you dun goofed now! Hahahaha, while I 100% agree with what you said, there was an entirely different thread where some stateroom attendants are removing magnetic hooks because (and this has been thoroughly proven as FALSE because there are freaking magnets everywhere on the ship, but it is what they were claiming) those magnets interfere with the ship's ability to navigate.

I'm definitely planning to bring a spare swimsuit on my next cruise, something that I've always managed to forget to bring in the past LOL.

I bring 5. I live in Florida so I have an abundance of swimwear. I couldn’t imagine having 1.

I am making my first packing list for our June trip on Anthem, 5 pairs of board shorts, 5 pairs of walking shorts and 3 pairs of basketball shorts.

I do love to wear shorts lol

I appreciate this. So I think you are saying that salt water would evaporate faster than fresh water?

Given same temperature and pressure you would see a slightly faster evaporation rate for water with any dissolved ions versus pure water. That is why salt water boils at a lower temperature than fresh water and freezes at a lower temperature. Again it would take an analytical balance to measure the actual rate difference.

The cruise lines frown on putting clothes/swimsuits ect on balconies, one it’s tacky and second the winds can blow your garments off the ship!! We always use the clothes line in shower and they tend to dry by next day

One of the best tips ever is rolling the swimsuit (or anything else you wash out) in a towel tightly to get all the excess water out of it. Picked that tip up here only a couple of years ago and it is a gem! I hang it on a magnetic hook. I've never heard of the rumor that the stewards are removing them or that they are interfering with navigation. I think that is hilarious. Have you seen the documentary on the navigation on these ships? Magnetic hooks are NOT a problem.