Royal: If you want to charge premium prices, go back to giving a premium product

LMaxwell

How can Royal say they will hold the line on last minute deals, while on the other side they continually cheapen the experience; less staff / more overloaded and overworked, declines in food quality, increases in paid venues, now even removing access to formally public areas of the ship.

HEY ROYAL - Listen up! Some of us are willing to pay these higher prices but we want access throughout the ship, we want sufficient staff to have good service, we want quality improvements in food and a return to some such things as midnight buffets (once a cruise would be nice), better MDR food. You want to charge me for it? FINE. But don't continually chip away at the service and experience and expect to charge me more and somehow convince me I'm getting a premium product because the price is higher without anything of value in return.

The erosion of basics "included" in the fare has been especially noticeable over the past five years or so. I get it, it's a race to the bottom in a competitive industry with a lot of berths to fill. No, I will not pay Cunard prices for RCI. I will pay more for RCI than MSC, Carnival, NCL though provided it is a premium product in comparison to those lines. The distinction is getting difficult however.

Comparing RCCL to Carnival (or even NCL) is ridiculous. There is no way that RCCL and Carnival can be mentioned in the same sentence and no, the products are not getting closer.

Just take entertainment, which on Carnival has degenerated to unwatchable. Have you noticed show backgrounds have been replaced by distracting computer generated backdrops? Have you notice that there is no longer a distinction on Carnival between singers and dancers but cast members do both and do them poorly? Have you noticed on Carnival that the volume has been turned up to near deafening to cover the poor quality of the songs?

And that is only entertainment. I could go on, but it just seems wrong to say RCCL is approaching Carnival's bottom of the barrel corporate ethos.

No, I will not pay Cunard prices for RCI.

Well then, don't.

I will.

Quality entertainment is big for me and as long as RCI is one of the only brands putting Broadway shows on several of their ships and continuing to create new and innovative entertainment venues like the Aqua Theater, Studio B and Two70, RCI will remain a favorite of mine and will continue to get my bookings. That's because I know they are worth the higher price.

Comparing RCCL to Carnival (or even NCL) is ridiculous.

RCI sure seems intent on copying NCL. RCI used to clearly and distinctly be a premium product in comparison to Carnival and NCL.

Yes, I have noticed how terrible Carnival entertainment has gotten. That's why I'm no longer vacationing with them. I've long said that if they bring back half decent entertainment I'd try them again, but not until then.

What I am saying is that Royal, at an accelerated pace noticeably over the last few years is seriously chipping away at their product and offering, yet they come out and say "We will hold the line on price." Fine, you want to hold the line on price and charge more than other mainstream lines all competing with similar itineraries, okay, I'm one of those people willing to pay a bit more to get a bit more. Royal seems interested in the paying a bit more part for sure on my end at least.

Yes, entertainment on Royal is mostly good, but they are cutting corners and chintzing out overall in terms of food, service, hosted events. If they want to bring back the product and service of even 5 to 8 years ago, I'd pay more for it.

It is now, as always, up to YOU, the paying customer, to decide what is "worth it" or not.

If you like the price, pay it.

If you don't like the price, don't pay it.

If they want to charge more, I'll pay more, as long as I get more! Stop cutting back but charging more and making believe it is premium. This isn't a situation rectified by moving up to a suite either; suite cruisers don't get a midnight buffet last I checked.

You clearly love it, you can't stay on land for more than a few weeks, and more power to you for having the time and resources. But wouldn't it be nice if you had the same services and amenities that have dwindled over the past decade though?

So the way I see it, if Royal wants to continue to cut services, they have to cut prices. If they want to raise prices, we should see that translate into improved services. Paying more for less isn't a winning combination.

Comparing RCCL to Carnival (or even NCL) is ridiculous. There is no way that RCCL and Carnival can be mentioned in the same sentence and no, the products are not getting closer.

Just take entertainment, which on Carnival has degenerated to unwatchable. Have you noticed show backgrounds have been replaced by distracting computer generated backdrops? Have you notice that there is no longer a distinction on Carnival between singers and dancers but cast members do both and do them poorly? Have you noticed on Carnival that the volume has been turned up to near deafening to cover the poor quality of the songs?

And that is only entertainment. I could go on, but it just seems wrong to say RCCL is approaching Carnival's bottom of the barrel corporate ethos.

I agree. I noticed. I left.

Problem solved. :)

If they want to bring back the product and service of even 5 to 8 years ago, I'd pay more for it.

I assume their calculus is they cannot charge more to offer a "more premium product" (improved crew-pax ratio, improved MDR quality, etc.) and still fill their latest generation megaships to the capacity necessary to make a profit. Simple as that. It's worth noting that with one exception there are no true mega ships sailing for established premium lines. The obvious exception is QM2, but she sails with many fewer passengers than a ship of comparable size would for RCI, NCL, Princess, X, etc.

It'll be interesting to see how the MDR quality clocks in on the Quantum Class, for which they've been able to get away with charging higher rates thus far.

Edited by Dave85

If they want to charge more, I'll pay more, as long as I get more! Stop cutting back but charging more and making believe it is premium. This isn't a situation rectified by moving up to a suite either; suite cruisers don't get a midnight buffet last I checked.

You clearly love it, you can't stay on land for more than a few weeks, and more power to you for having the time and resources. But wouldn't it be nice if you had the same services and amenities that have dwindled over the past decade though?

So the way I see it, if Royal wants to continue to cut services, they have to cut prices. If they want to raise prices, we should see that translate into improved services. Paying more for less isn't a winning combination.

I enjoyed the midnight buffet, too. It was truly an astonishing sight to see. However, I couldn't help noticing that when the event was wrapped for the evening, 80% or more of all that food just went to waste. (okay, they donated it) Can you imagine how much that cost RCCL? Can you imagine how much they're saving by not including it? Can you imagine how much your fare would be if they still had it?

I agree with the OP. RCI is NOT a premium line. They are a middle of the row family cruise line who happens to have decent entertainment. If entertainment matters to you well good for you. To me and I am entitled to my opinion, the food, service and atmosphere are what matters. I can take or leave entertainment. I feel RCI is turning into a floating mall. As I have said before in other posts, the ONLY reason we sail with RCI is our kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I enjoyed the midnight buffet, too. It was truly an astonishing sight to see. However, I couldn't help noticing that when the event was wrapped for the evening, 80% or more of all that food just went to waste. (okay, they donated it) Can you imagine how much that cost RCCL? Can you imagine how much they're saving by not including it? Can you imagine how much your fare would be if they still had it?

Dropping the extra buffets saves crew time the food costs will be tiny ppp(buffet)probably less than 50c given they feed the pax and crew for $12 per pax per day.

I don't consider Royal to be a premium cruise line, nor do I feel they charge premium prices. For me, Royal is still an excellent value and the service and food options are quite acceptable to me. I feel I get a good value for my vacation dollar.

As for the midnight buffets...I am just glad I don't feel obligated to stay up that late anymore! Enjoyed them, but don't miss them at all...I considered them to be a costly waste of money!

If my cruise fare, and everyone elses, went up $20 and we were on O/A that would be another $100K give or take. Pretty sure they can bake a few cakes and put out some shrimp for that price. Just saying, the old line about there being so much waste just doesn't pass my sniff test. Yes, there was waste, yes they save money not having it, but it's not THAT much money in the grand scheme of things.

Someone else said it probably cost 50C per person. I'd guess higher than that, but not by much honestly.

Yes, the overall ATMOSPHERE and service levels have declined. If you're charging less and I get less, okay. If you're charging more and I get more, okay. If you're charging more and I get less, problem.

I don't miss the midnight buffets. I considered them to be just a photo op, especially for those who prefer late dinner seating. Last time I was in a VCL was last Feb. on Oasis. We got there at around 10:00, the place was completely empty and the band was packing up because no one was there, so we won't miss that area either. RCL may as well turn it into a revenue source.

Agree though that the food isn't quite as good as it was ten years ago, (bring back the Vidalia Onion Tart!!) and the room stewards seem more overworked. It would be nice if RCL gave those people a break and had them take care of a little bit fewer cabins - but then of course they would make less in tips.

Nice for the suits at RCL to say they won't discount last minute, but really think they have an obligation to cabin stewards/waiters to put more paying/tipping customers on board. (Think I just contradicted myself).

Yes, the overall ATMOSPHERE and service levels have declined. If you're charging less and I get less, okay. If you're charging more and I get more, okay. If you're charging more and I get less, problem.

It's a problem for you, but not for them. Sounds harsh but it is what it is. They're not having any problems filling the ships at current prices and service levels. Why would they sell their product for less than what the market has deemed it to be worth? They're fully aware they'll lose some cruisers who remember the good old days, and they're fine with that.

Would I rather get an even better experience for the same price? Sure but I'm realistic. I feel cruising is still a very good vacation value and I get a solid product for the price I'm paying. Is at as good a value as 5 or 10 years ago? Probably not but that doesn't make it a rip off.

It's a problem for you, but not for them. Sounds harsh but it is what it is. They're not having any problems filling the ships at current prices and service levels. Why would they sell their product for less than what the market has deemed it to be worth? They're fully aware they'll lose some cruisers who remember the good old days, and they're fine with that.

Would I rather get an even better experience for the same price? Sure but I'm realistic. I feel cruising is still a very good vacation value and I get a solid product for the price I'm paying. Is at as good a value as 5 or 10 years ago? Probably not but that doesn't make it a rip off.

Definitely not a rip off; saying I would gladly pay more to get more. Not asking them to undersell their product. Nothing is more damaging to a brand than underselling.

Am saying it's a nasty cycle. They had to discount to fill ships. But they had to cut services to offer discounts. Now they want to stop with the discounts. Understandable. But services have to come back along with increase in fare otherwise the value equation becomes all screwed up. If you can't differentiate WHY your product is worth a premium price, well, who are you expecting to pay those premiums? Premium is not used in the context of RCI being like Oceania or Regent, Premium being used in the context of a premium price compared to similar itineraries on competing mass market ships.

I personally do not think RCCL is carrying an unreasonable price tag and the last time I looked, Cunard was more expensive than RCCL. With that said, I think they give a wonderful product and they can not be compared to Carnival in any way.

Definitely not a rip off; saying I would gladly pay more to get more. Not asking them to undersell their product. Nothing is more damaging to a brand than underselling.

Am saying it's a nasty cycle. They had to discount to fill ships. But they had to cut services to offer discounts. Now they want to stop with the discounts. Understandable. But services have to come back along with increase in fare otherwise the value equation becomes all screwed up. If you can't differentiate WHY your product is worth a premium price, well, who are you expecting to pay those premiums? Premium is not used in the context of RCI being like Oceania or Regent, Premium being used in the context of a premium price compared to similar itineraries on competing mass market ships.

Are their prices really that out of line with the other lines? I don't really know but I haven't seen anything with RC besides the Quantum class (which will level off over time) that makes me go wow that is crazy. Sure they are more than Carnival but they always have been. They have a long way to go before getting into Disney's crazy prices. I'm not sure how they compare to Princess or NCL, etc.

But seriously, when have you ever seen a company take the stance of "We're raising our prices, better spend more money, hire more staff, and crank up the service level". Doesn't happen in the real world in a competitive industry.

They want to increase prices while keeping costs the same or less which means more profits. The market decides when the price is too high for the service they are providing. The pendulum is still swinging in RC's favor currently but it could change.

FWIW I think they will keep offering last minute deals of some sort. Maybe it will be OBC instead of lower fares but it will be something.

I do not know how anyone can find the entertainment found on the mass market ships to be good. I have not enjoyed any of the shows going back as far as the 80's.

let me tell you hoew some people find the entertainment found on the mass market ships to be good. the reason is not everyone has the same likes as you do.

Just because you have not enjoyed any of the shows going back as far as the 80's does not mean everyone thinks like you do, and you do not get to tell others what they like and do not like. I have not been on a rci ship in over 5 years, but I enjoyed the shows I have seen.

Please don't get me wrong I would never speak for anyone else on what they like of dis like, but you might try the same thing.

My cruise in 1985 for an inside cabin for 2 people comes to $5,386.00 in todays money using a 2.7% average rate of inflation per year.

Pricing of cruises are way less then they were. The cuts are to be expected.

Edited by Tutankhamen

let me tell you hoew some people find the entertainment found on the mass market ships to be good. the reason is not everyone has the same likes as you do.

Just because you have not enjoyed any of the shows going back as far as the 80's does not mean everyone thinks like you do, and you do not get to tell others what they like and do not like. I have not been on a rci ship in over 5 years, but I enjoyed the shows I have seen.

Please don't get me wrong I would never speak for anyone else on what they like of dis like, but you might try the same thing.

Several things Bob,

In red, you said I do not get to tell others what they like and do not like. Please tell me where I said I get to tell others what they like or don't like?? I am perplexed by your comment.

In red again you suggest that I do not speak for others what to like or not like. Please tell me where I said I speak for others? Again, I am perplexed.

I simply stated how I do not understand how people find shipboard entertainment to be good. Sorry, I don't understand that. In 1970 when AMC released the Gremlin I had the same thought. How could anyone think that car is a good looking car.

I agree with OP.

The production shows are mostly good. I don't like a few - personal preference.

The headliners are mostly horrible and repetitive. Most comedians are just not funny. I'm bored with jugglers. The very few headliners I really like, I've seen so many times I feel like they're following me from ship to ship.

The itineraries and cut backs aren't worth a premium price which is what they are charging for most cruises that interest me.

So I'm not booking for the most part. I've said it before and I'll say it again - We're finding much better value on land.