Is 12 days in an inside room enough to curl your hair?

barbaraanne

I agree with Debhomespun. While I loved the one time I was in a balcony (Panama Canal), most of my cruises have been inside cabins, guarantee. I've never been upgraded to a view, obstructed or otherwise, but I have been upgraded to a better location/larger size. Last cruise was a 12 day Med cruise, and by the time I was in the cabin, I didn't mind that there was no view. Plus, that way I can afford the thermal suite, and more travel! I have claustrophobia, but I've never found the inside cabins a problem - they're usually larger than the single rooms I have when I'm in NY, or Europe!

Hi, we will be on Breakaway in February for a 12 day down to southern Caribbean. I have an inside gty booked, but am hoping to upgrade it to a balcony maybe if prices drop, or maybe I'll get an upgrade?? I have cruised 9 times on Carnival and Princess, always with a balcony, but to afford the 12 day had to do an inside. I am really into trying all the restaurants and shows on the Breakaway, but had to cut corners somewhere.

Will I freak out on a 12 day in an inside room, if I am not claustrophobic? Is there enough room in an inside to survive 12 days and enjoy yourself?

thanks!

My husband and I did 26 days in a small 142 sq ft cabin on the Star and found it to be very comfortable. We left the tv on the bow channel each night for a nightlight and to tell when it was daylight.

Like you, we chose the inside cabin for budget reasons. We were quite happy with it

Four years ago, we had an inside cabin on the Sun which was probably the same size. It was fine, but the size listed for the Epic is 128 sq ft with the difference being that sitting area. It depends on the ship and on available sizes within the inside cabin category. Breakaway has larger cabins within that category.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Rhea98

If you can get a cabin close to outside areas that can reduce the cabin fever.

(not easy on the breakaway, some on deck 14 close to the outside seating for the garden cafe)

if not close to an outside area then close to elevators to get there quick.

On a very port intensive cruise being on a low deck can be handy for getting on/off the ship.

After the Concordia accident, we always get a balcony. Never to be stuck in a room with only 1 exit.

Great way to rationalize spending the extra money for what you wanted in the first place. :banghead::banghead:

Love balconies especially on a Caribbean sailing but would not shy away from having an inside to save the $$$$. You will sleep well and not be spending that much time in the cabin anyway. Have fun.

Inside works for me. Get to cruise more often.

Longest in inside was 26 days. Just a place to sleep, shower, and dress

Open spaces on deck for all the natural light I need :)

To each their own :)

Why in the world does it take you 12 days to curl your hair?!?!?!

:D

I've gotta admit, I thought this was the most creative answer! Ha!

Everyone's posts have been extremely helpful--thanks all! And they've been fun to read too!

Four years ago, we had an inside cabin on the Sun which was probably the same size. It was fine, but the size listed for the Epic is 128 sq ft with the difference being that sitting area. It depends on the ship and on available sizes within the inside cabin category. Breakaway has larger cabins within that category.

I can't imagine only 128 sq ft. Our 142 sq ft had no sitting area and was very small. The little table with the ice tray was crammed under the shelf holding the Tv. The chair for that table was always pushed under the table since no room for it because of bed. There was very little open floor space. I can't imagine subtracting 14 sq ft from the bit of floor space we had.

I can't imagine only 128 sq ft. Our 142 sq ft had no sitting area and was very small. The little table with the ice tray was crammed under the shelf holding the Tv. The chair for that table was always pushed under the table since no room for it because of bed. There was very little open floor space. I can't imagine subtracting 14 sq ft from the bit of floor space we had.

It does seem small, but we've camped 4 to a tent while our boys were pre-teens, so for our 7 day cruise, it will be an adventure similar to camping. That said, we've already decided that if we take the Epic across the pond, we'll go for balcony--that was even before the smoke-free balcony rumors appeared. We reasoned that the balcony cabin is larger and the glass doors could remain closed to mimic a giant OV window should it be necessary. For us, cost wasn't the main issue, but I couldn't see paying more for an amenity we might not use. Now, I see it in a different light although I can certainly appreciate all the responses that indicate an inside cabin is a great trade-off for getting more trips! (oh, and balcony for escape via duct tape in an emergency ;-) It was love at first sight two years ago on our first Epic cruise --yeah, weird "waves" and all. I think we may actually be able to make that trip next April.

Edited by Rhea98

I couldn't do an inside, because I need the natural light and views provided by a real window. The TV and bow camera aren't enough.

I'd rather spend the extra few bucks for an oceanview porthole, and we do longer cruises as well.

An inside or even an ocean view would not be my preference, but I could live with it if it meant cruising or not. But I recently saw a new twist on the inside cabin for RCCL's new Quantum ships that maybe more cruise lines will adopt for their new ships in the future. The "outside" wall projects a seemingly huge floor to ceiling "window" with a view. The "view" is projected in real time, so if you are in port, you are seeing the port, etc. I think it is a brilliant idea.

To the poster lamenting the cost of a thermal suite pass, I am so glad we did not waste $400 for this on our Getaway cruise. I'll bet we would not have used it more than once or twice. There is just too many other things to do. I'd use the $400 toward a balcony cabin, or maybe get the best of both worlds and book a spa balcony.

I must chuckle when reading some of the comments concerning inside cabins. I lived 4 years on a Navy aircraft carrier. Had to share my cabin with 26 others. Going on cruise ships is luxury to me. Inside cabin, no problem.

Of course we love to have a balcony, but we prefer to cruise more often and by cruising in an inside or oceanview, we have been able to do that. We are booked on the Dawn 14 night repo 11/7/14 on deck 8. Also in an inside for 12 nights on our Celebrity Solstice from Sydney to New Zealand. (room is a nice size on this ship). We would rather be in an inside and cruise more often. Our RC Rhapsody (older ship, small rooms) we have a Panoramic cabin, and our RC Freedom has a balcony. Depends on price.

Hi there!

We have that inside on deck 10 on the repo, but I asked today about the "last payment" date over in the roll call thread. I may look to switch to a balcony. But the main reason we are booked inside is as you said, more cruises for the $$$.

If you would be OK with staying in a hotel room without windows, you'll be OK with an inside cabin. There is really on right or wrong on doing it ... up to ONLY you. :)

Have a great time whatever you decide. :D

LuLu

I must chuckle when reading some of the comments concerning inside cabins. I lived 4 years on a Navy aircraft carrier. Had to share my cabin with 26 others. Going on cruise ships is luxury to me. Inside cabin, no problem.

God bless you for being able to do this! Even more reason for feeling grateful for the work of those who serve in the military.

I still don't think I could do this...

We always book the cheapest available cabin so this is usually an inside. We got a surprise upgrade to a balcony on the Panama Canal cruise (where it counted) but wee prepared to spend the sea days on deck if we hadn't to see the scenery. On our upcoming Grand Med, it is so port intensive we will be too exhausted to even notice the lack of a window. Insides don't bother us, we know our budget and are just happy to be on the ship!

Will be on my third cruise this Friday. First two were AFT balcony's and LOVED them. This time, a late booking and returning to Bermuda. Didn't feel like spending too much $$$ but wanted to cruise so booked a inside on deck 8 for easy access to the outside while watching for possible upgrades that never happened.

Will I ever take an inside again? We'll see. :D

God bless you Pete! And thank you!

We just did an inside cabin on NCL's Spirit, their smallest oldest ship, and they are supposed to have the smallest inside cabins in the industry. There were 4 of us, including a son over 6 feet tall. There were no problems - we were usually only in there to sleep and change. The savings allowed us to enjoy the 12-day Med cruise ports even more.

That said, the youngest turns 18 next month and we will no longer be cramming kids into our cabin. Any future cruises, they can buy their own cabin!

We have done it all. My very first was a window. A few of them to follow, but had to switch to inside - for handicapped cabins for my husband. We really had a great time. We were there to sleep and shower - out the door for fun fun fun. I had a terrible time on a great ship. I got sick, the cabin was so dark that between the darkness and the virus ( that cruise virus) it was time to get a balcony -- it was not only for the light , it was for the fresh air that having the balcony gives.

With that being said -- most of our best times we had on our cruises just may have been with the inside cabins --

I will be on cruise 36 in a few weeks -- in yet another GV ! Have now done The Haven and GV

Have done it all !

Enjoy your cruise - you make it happen ! Have fun - make memories !

Hi there!

We have that inside on deck 10 on the repo, but I asked today about the "last payment" date over in the roll call thread. I may look to switch to a balcony. But the main reason we are booked inside is as you said, more cruises for the $$$.

I slept great in my Dawn deck 10 inside cabin all last week . :D

I can not sleep once the sun comes up .

It was fantastic for me to sleep till 9:30 instead of being up at 5:30 am .:)