HAL Signature Beverage Package Update

dshroyer

Hi cruisers,

I posted a video on Youtube about 3 months ago regarding the HAL beverage package and beverage policy.

It is located here

We just returned from a 7 day Alaska cruise on the Westerdam. I have posted a short "update" to that video here:

The second video includes a few things I forgot in the first video and an update to some of the comments I have received.

Hopefully these two videos will help clarify any questions you have regarding the "drink package". We feel that if you can get it with the Explore4 package at a discount, then it is a good deal. Even if you are not a heavy drinker. But sometimes the Explore4 package is not a good deal and just ads the drink package to the price at full price. In that case you have to decide how alcohol you drink.

• Like 2

Hi cruisers,

I posted a video on Youtube about 3 months ago regarding the HAL beverage package and beverage policy.

It is located here

We just returned from a 7 day Alaska cruise on the Westerdam. I have posted a short "update" to that video here:

The second video includes a few things I forgot in the first video and an update to some of the comments I have received.

Hopefully these two videos will help clarify any questions you have regarding the "drink package". We feel that if you can get it with the Explore4 package at a discount, then it is a good deal. Even if you are not a heavy drinker. But sometimes the Explore4 package is not a good deal and just ads the drink package to the price at full price. In that case you have to decide how alcohol you drink.

The beverage package also covers water , San Pellegrino and non-alcoholic beverages. That should be included in the calculation.

Very helpful, thank you dshroyer!

With regards to the double mariner days, do you still accrue these if you purchase the drinks package prior to cruising rather than whilst onboard? We haven’t got Explore4 this cruise and thus were planning on pre-booking in order to take advantage of the $5 per day discount.

Very helpful, thank you dshroyer!

With regards to the double mariner days, do you still accrue these if you purchase the drinks package prior to cruising rather than whilst onboard? We haven’t got Explore4 this cruise and thus were planning on pre-booking in order to take advantage of the $5 per day discount.

It does not matter when you purchase the drink package (before or after you board), you earn the same credit toward your Mariner purchase days (one point/ $300 spent). There is no "double mariner days" on purchases, only on your cabin selection (suite).

It does not matter when you purchase the drink package (before or after you board), you earn the same credit toward your Mariner purchase days (one point/ $300 spent). There is no "double mariner days" on purchases, only on your cabin selection (suite).

(y)(y)Great, thanks for clarifying.

Thank you for the clarification on the alcoholic drink limit. So it is Quench + 15 alcoholic drinks. Logical.

And interesting about the Mariner spending days and the drink package. The package did essentially earn you the $300 a day so you walked off the ship with a $225 bill and 14 Mariner days for a 7 night cruise. (y)

Thanks for the video. I wish HAL would update their website for the beverage packages, because they still are saying pretty much everything wet that you purchase with the package counts towards your 15 daily total.

We also enjoy the nightly cordials in the little 'take-home" glass. However, we have so many of those little glasses that we are giving them to relatives. We have never been hit for 2 drinks for the cordials. And I always check my daily totals on the HAL Navigator. I always see $7.50 plus $1.12 service charge for a total of $8.62 in the debit column, and then I see a full credit for that amount because of the SBP. That somehow doesn't seem fair to charge non-beverage package people $7.50 and basically $15 for people with the SBP. I have ordered double vodka gimlets many times and that is perfectly OK, but they do hit my daily count for 2 drinks. Those little cordials are certainly not doubles. Maybe they are charging for the take-home glass. If that is the case, I have about 75 of them I'll sell back to HAL on my next cruise.

Just called HAL regarding the 15 drink limit. The rep spent some time researching if there has been a change from all beverages to alcohol only 15 limit. He assured me there had been no change and its a 15 limit with water, coffee, soda, etc. included in the count to 15.

I also checked the terms and conditions of the latest Explore 4 promotion and it also states the limit applies to all beverages.

I hope the OP is correct but one of us has been misinformed. I'll be on the Koningsdam in 2 weeks and for the first time in many cruises I will be travelling with a few "drinkers" and will probably put the 15 all beverages limit to the test (and might even get to test the 15 alcohol limit on the first day - I tend to get "over excited" early on).

Just called HAL regarding the 15 drink limit. The rep spent some time researching if there has been a change from all beverages to alcohol only 15 limit. He assured me there had been no change and its a 15 limit with water, coffee, soda, etc. included in the count to 15.

I also checked the terms and conditions of the latest Explore 4 promotion and it also states the limit applies to all beverages.

I hope the OP is correct but one of us has been misinformed. I'll be on the Koningsdam in 2 weeks and for the first time in many cruises I will be travelling with a few "drinkers" and will probably put the 15 all beverages limit to the test (and might even get to test the 15 alcohol limit on the first day - I tend to get "over excited" early on).

I was told the same as you and, my terms and conditions on my Explore4 are the same as yours.

It might be that HAL hasn't changed things in their wording? They do seem to be behind in updating things. Seattle is only going to repeat what the wording is.

I'd do as the OP did if you want to check and ask the beverage manager or bar server to confirm.

When I called in February about the 15 drink limit I was told the same thing. I also emailed them and they just copy/pasted the official wording from the web. But we just got off the Westerdam and EVERYONE we spoke to said unlimited non alcoholic + 15 alcohol drinks. The people in Seattle are misinformed. If you have concerns, look up the beverage manager or assistant beverage manager and ask him/her. At the beginning of the year there was confusion with the crew. But now everyone is on board with the policy change.

Over the years, we have seen many instances that what Seattle says is gospel, the individual ships do their own thing. However, HAL corporate is shooting themselves in the foot by not standardizing their beverage package policies across all ships and on the website. Of course, HAL considers it a great day when the website actually works, so expecting any accuracy in the details is over the top.

• 4 weeks later...

No, it is 15 alcoholic drinks and unlimited non alcoholic drinks. So soda, bottled water, fancy coffees, juices, and vitamin water. I got the package for roughly$15 a day through a promotion for my South Pacific cruise and really used it. I only had 2-3 drinks a day, but used the non alcoholic portion a great deal.

Wondering what happens if you order a drink over the $9 limit. Do you pay the difference or are you charged for the entire drink?
You pay the full amount. If you frequently order something more than $9, upgrade to the Elite Beverage Package. However, look at Roger Jett's beverage lists. You get a lot more for your $9 on HAL than you do on some other cruise lines.

Both must up-buy to Elite, and before either have ordered any drink. The cost is the difference in the package prices: $5pp/day. But -- Bombay Sapphire is included in the SBP so no need to go Elite:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Beverage-Packages.pdf

All liqueurs and cordials but the very top high-ends are also included, even tho' they aren't listed.

To me the big reason to buy up to Elite is the expanded list of wines by the glass it offers. The wines at $9 or less are a bit limited in choice of varietals/growing regions

I had been under the impression that the differential charged was $10pp/pd+tip, not $5pp/pd as they calculated it on the pre-cruise purchase differential, not the onboard differential.

I also have read very mixed reviews on the actually ability to pay for the upgrade - some cruises it seems to be heavily promoted and on others it's like pulling teeth from a toothless rabid yak to get it done!

As with all things HAL it seems it is consistently inconsistent and Seattle's stance is VERY different on what happens on each individual ship, on each individual sailing .....

Bombay and Sapphire is included in the regular $44.95 per day (plus 15% service charge) package. Unless you want VSOP liquors or a better selection of wines, you will be happy with the regular package. The regular package is $44.95 per day, and the elite package is $54.95 per day, both plus 15% SC. However if you purchase the SBP onboard, and then quickly change your mind to go with the elite package, it will cost you $10 per day extra, plus 15%. If you got the SBP with Explore-4, then HAL will value the package at $44.95 per day, and to upgrade it, you will have to pay $10 per day plus 15%. But study the drink menu prices from Roger Jett photography before you rush to upgrade, you may decide it's not worth it.

Also, based on a $51.70 per day cost ($44.95 +15%) of the SBP, your break-even point is 6 drinks, based on a menu price of $7.95 for a typical mixed drink. Check the menus, do the math, and make your decisions.

All very helpful responses, thank you. Am mainly interested in better wines at dinner and patron silver for cocktails, so for us upgrading makes sense. Will attempt the upgrade onboard. Got the package as a promo when booking, so will see if it’s possible...

How is the wine service at meals and the bar service around the pools and in the lounges? Sometimes these drink packages cause a decrease in the level of bar service. What is everyone’s experience with this? Thanks again!

Hi Law Chick!

Just be sure not to get a sailaway drink ON the promotional SBP before pursuing the EBP upgrade! Go to another bar (maybe a less busy one?) if the first says upgrading isn't possible.

On our 14-day Alaska trip, MDR wine/drink service was very good -- in fact when my little sister (of 36 years) wanted a mojito, the first time they said they couldn't make it (no fresh mint) and the next night the sommelier notified her that they had the mint and would the rest of the cruise!

Service around the pool(s) was a little ragged, possibly because Alaska? I didn't associate it with the Explore4 numbers anyway. I don't think we ever saw a bar-server in the Explorers Lounge, but we were primarily there during Adagio performances (or early in the day when we would fetch our own lattes and sit there) -- and they may be instructed not to circulate while the musicians are playing.

Service very good in Ocean Bar and the "Mix" around the Piano Bar. The occasional bar tab slip our party got, showed the tip as being charged, so I don't think the servers go without.

ETA: this was amazing! One time when our regular server was busy, I went up to the bar in the Ocean Bar. The bartender said, I think I remember you (I said, yes we always sit on Christian's station but he's busy), and he said, No I mean -- have you been on the Nieuw Amsterdam?

We had -- THREE YEARS AGO! Their memories are phenomenal!

To me the big reason to buy up to Elite is the expanded list of wines by the glass it offers. The wines at $9 or less are a bit limited in choice of varietals/growing regions

I had been under the impression that the differential charged was $10pp/pd+tip, not $5pp/pd as they calculated it on the pre-cruise purchase differential, not the onboard differential.

I also have read very mixed reviews on the actually ability to pay for the upgrade - some cruises it seems to be heavily promoted and on others it's like pulling teeth from a toothless rabid yak to get it done!

As with all things HAL it seems it is consistently inconsistent and Seattle's stance is VERY different on what happens on each individual ship, on each individual sailing .....

I upgraded to the Elite package on my Alaskan cruise this year. It was $13 a day. The price includes gratuities I did the switch the first day on the ship. The change didn't show up in the computer. The bar manager on a sticky sheet wrote a note saying I was upgraded. I attached it my sail card.