Last week on the Caribbean Princess...

ljloe

IMG_6456.thumb.JPG.61be12b1c4abd5f3afd48995b5bb0dc4.JPG

Great cruise last week on the Caribbean Princess. And during the week they removed the mailboxes next to the stateroom doors and installed the new screens for the Ocean Medallion upgrade. Not functional yet, but getting closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What is you opinion about the buffet food? :confused:

I've been reading varied reports from just OK to terrible.

Food is subjective, but even my husband who loves buffets couldn’t eat in the buffet on our April 2017 cruise in Europe on the CB. The pizza and burgers on the lido were great though!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Buffet food was okay. Nothing to write home about but as mentioned earlier, the burgers and pizza were always good. I was impressed with the selection of really good sugar free desserts on the buffet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did 14 days in March (disembarked on April 1). At that time there was no such message outside the door. In fact that video screen was just a metal plate (if I remember correctly). The cruise we were on was "supposed" to be the initial Medallion cruise for CB so it was "next in line" although we all know how that went. The fact that they have installed the video screens is hopeful.

Others are reporting that Regal is "supposed" to get the rest of the ship going with the Medallion "soon". They had part of the ship "working" with the Medallion and have spent a lot of time while it was elsewhere "figuring things out". Hopefully they actually were figuring things out and can make the thing work. I never gave up hope that they would eventually get it working but was, as were many, pretty much boggled that they hadn't realized "ships are made of metal and not of concrete like the test mock-up". Wow.

I sincerely hope they have finally figured it out (or are at least very close to figuring it out) and will be able to start expanding the program to the rest of the fleet. However........ I don't want it to just (finally!) work properly with the doors. I want all that was promised in the beginning. I was initially a "fanboi" and am still quite hopeful. It seems to have been not only a classic case of "marketing promising the moon when they have no understanding of real world programming and implementation issues" but also a case of "OMG! We didn't test for that!" when "that" was a truly egregious oversight. (Again, ships are made of metal and your test environment was made of concrete.)

As for the buffet... The "main" buffet was, indeed, disappointing. However, for breakfast and lunch all one had to do is continue on past the "regular" buffet area into the Planks and Steamers area. In the main buffet I found pre-made "omelets" (trust me... the quotation marks are appropriate) and pre-made (bad) fried eggs, but, when we continued on into the other areas I found made-to-order omelets (put your selected fillings in a bowl and they put them in your omelet) and made-to-order fried eggs. I only want "medium" fried eggs. Any other fried eggs are wrong!!! (Obviously that is only my opinion. My wife heartily disagrees and will only eat fried eggs that are cooked hard.) The made-to-order omelet ingredients actually had jalapeños that were hot! I was soooooooooooo happy! :hearteyes: Lunches were also better using those venues and it costs nothing extra. Yes, dinner is extra but breakfast and lunch are included with the cruise fare. The Salty Dog Grill (not to be confused with the Salty Dog Gastropub on Emerald Princess and a few other ships) was great! The burgers were great. The street tacos were pretty good - although being from California I had to be somewhat boggled by the Princess definition of "street tacos". There are taco trucks all over my town that serve vastly better (and far more "authentic") street tacos. However, for a "Princess stab at it" they did remarkably well. One big gripe was that they limited an order to 2 tacos. Really???

Overall we found CB to be pretty good and the food was pretty good as well. The pizza was horrid (as is the Lido deck pizza on most Princess ships) and, because of that fact, we didn't even try the expanded menu in the pizza venue. However, the rest of the food was not bad at all.

Edited by Thrak

Overall we found CB to be pretty good and the food was pretty good as well. The pizza was horrid (as is the Lido deck pizza on most Princess ships) and, because of that fact, we didn't even try the expanded menu in the pizza venue. However, the rest of the food was not bad at all.

That's pretty much where we rated it when we were last on it in Feb 2017. It's sounding like the new buffet options have taken something away from ship instead of offering more. :confused:

It was OK but we still wished it would have been as good as the Royal class ships. :)

Ha ha! That waa hilarious. [emoji13]

:)

Exactly right!!!

It's such a shame to waste paper like that, now I don't need them rolled up and put next to my door handle. I normally keep them in the nightstand in the cubby, and at the end of the cruise I put them on the desk with the top one turned over and write "please recycle" on the pile. Or is one is so inclined, fold and tear in half or quarters and use as scrap paper for notes.

Medallion roll out is scheduled to begin in 2 weeks, Aug 4. Only "a percentage" of guests will get a medallion immediately to test the system and it will be incrementally rolled out ship wide from there. The ship is expected to be fully medallion functional in September.

Source: PCL (7/16)

Does anyone actually read that stuff?:rolleyes:

Well, if you don't actually "read" those ads, you can use the paper and make like I said previously...note pads, or how about Origami, paper airplanes, Christmas snowflakes, paper chains, masks for Halloween, wrapping paper for the gift exchange, the list is endless.....and we complain about getting all those flyers :rolleyes::confused:

Does anyone actually read that stuff?:rolleyes:

Maybe if my cabin companion leaves it in the bathroom??? That's what the stewards should do. Put a little rack next to the toilet for them and stick them there and, I promise, everybody would read them.

Medallion roll out is scheduled to begin in 2 weeks, Aug 4. Only "a percentage" of guests will get a medallion immediately to test the system and it will be incrementally rolled out ship wide from there. The ship is expected to be fully medallion functional in September.

Source: PCL (7/16)

Thank you for a concrete answer. Now if they can deliver, that's another thing. :D