Food in Cabin Ban Reversed by NCL

johnlatte

[quote name='lettienets']I am happy NCL listened to some of the concerns of their customers. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Agreed....Thanks for listening! Seen the masses revolt over at RCL after a policy change and management listened, so it just takes everyone speaking up!

[quote name='watchdiva']Although this did not impact us (we sail in a suite) one should never underestimate the power of social media as a force for change. Congrats to all who pushed and pushed![/QUOTE]

We have traveled with NCL for 15 cruises. All of them in suites with 12 of them being in the Garden Villa. This definitely mattered to me. We returned earlier this month from the 19 day Panama Canal cruise and by the 4th day we were tired of the same lunch menu in Cagneys. There are many times I just want a salad and I go down and fix me one and bring it back up. And I love the crepes and often go and get one. I was sure they would have someway made an exception and allowed me to continue doing this but what a hassle. I was one who pushed. Sent my entire cruise history as part of my email. My PCC called me this afternoon to tell me she had gotten the notice of the change in policy.

[quote name='BritChickBN1']I'm glad that pax who like to bring food back will be able to continue doing so. It is freestyle after all. I still don't like FDR.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

May I ask why? This has been such a positive and welcome thread....... and, FDR must have had a roll in reversing this policy. IMO, there must be a reason why you felt the need to make a negative comment about the CEO of Norwegian. Really sad to see your comment.

I had an Alaskan trip booked with Princess but I think I might cancel and go with Norwegian now. I really wanted to in the first place but not being able to eat on my balcony and watch the glaciers go by was a deal breaker for me.

YAHOOOOOO!!!!

Being able to eat where I want, what I want and when I want to is really important to me and my family, especially with small children in the mix. Thank you for listening NCL, and thank you for providing the forum, Cruise Critic!!!

:)Yay!!!! Great news. So happy to hear that Norwegian listened to what cruisers want :-)! Looking forward to enjoying "appetizers" on our balcony with a glass of wine, one of our favorite simple pleasures when cruising.:)

Thanks NCL for listening to the consumers! We were on the Breakaway in January when my friend came down with pneumonia. On the few occasions when he could eat, we brought him food from O'Sheehans. It would have been horrible if he had to pay $7.95 to eat on top of being sick. Great move!!!

I'm glad they came to their senses but I don't appreciate them saying it is because of the trays and food being left around. It is very clear this was about trying to force people to order their for-a-fee room service. Be honest about it and don't lie to us like we are stupid. Their new policies are the sole reason I did not book NCL for my 2016 Baltic cruise. This is a step in the right direction but the room service fees are still a deal breaker for me so long as other lines aren't charging. Edited by BigB0882

[quote name='BigB0882']I'm glad they came to their senses but I don't appreciate them saying it is because of the trays and food being left around. It is very clear this was about trying to force people to order their for-a-fee room service. Be honest about it and don't lie to us like we are stupid. Their new policies are the sole reason I did not book NCL for my 2016 Baltic cruise. This is a step in the right direction but the room service fees are still a deal breaker for me so long as other lines aren't charging.[/QUOTE]

Well said I feel the same exact way.

[quote name='johnlatte']Congratulations!

[url]http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Norwegian-Cruise-Line-reverses-ban-on-taking-food-to-cabins[/url]

"We picked the wrong solution" - Andy Stuart COO. NCL[/QUOTE]

Don't rule out that the food ban was a diversion from complaining about the exorbitant room service charge and would ultimately not prevail. Cruisers feel they won but did they really? Too much outrage about not being able to carry cookies to the cabin and not enough about the narrowing of the expected amenities (free room service) when paying a large sum of money for a cruise. How about more restricted free buffet time and more ala carte fee food venues. How about pool towel rental fees. Show fees. Etc. Ya think?

[quote name='pfm18']Fair enough. I just always feel like your cabin is just a place to sleep for a few hours a night and that's it.[/quote]

I have a balcony-my favorite thing is a glass of wine and some cheese and pretzel bread on my balcony.

[quote name='BigB0882']I'm glad they came to their senses but I don't appreciate them saying it is because of the trays and food being left around. It is very clear this was about trying to force people to order their for-a-fee room service. Be honest about it and don't lie to us like we are stupid. Their new policies are the sole reason I did not book NCL for my 2016 Baltic cruise. This is a step in the right direction but the room service fees are still a deal breaker for me so long as other lines aren't charging.[/QUOTE]
Ditto!

[quote name='cruisecrazytoo']Don't rule out that the food ban was a diversion from complaining about the exorbitant room service charge and would ultimately not prevail. Cruisers feel they won but did they really? Too much outrage about not being able to carry cookies to the cabin and not enough about the narrowing of the expected amenities (free room service) when paying a large sum of money for a cruise. How about more restricted free buffet time and more ala carte fee food venues. How about pool towel rental fees. Show fees. Etc. Ya think?[/QUOTE]
Yes, kind of a "red herring" tactic........

[quote name='cruisecrazytoo']Don't rule out that the food ban was a diversion from complaining about the exorbitant room service charge and would ultimately not prevail. Cruisers feel they won but did they really? Too much outrage about not being able to carry cookies to the cabin and not enough about the narrowing of the expected amenities (free room service) when paying a large sum of money for a cruise. How about more restricted free buffet time and more ala carte fee food venues. How about pool towel rental fees. Show fees. Etc. Ya think?[/QUOTE]

Hush. Don't give 'em any ideas.

But they should adopt Hal's policy of placing a card on room service trays, telling pax to call R S when finshed, keep the dishes in your cabin, and they will be collected.

[quote name='swimmingotter']The reversal of the cabin food ban is fine. However, the food and plates in the hallways are a real eyesore and are frankly disgusting. What is so bad about stacking empty plates in one's cabin?[/QUOTE]

I agree; we leave our dirty plates in the room. Leaving them in the hallway looks horrible. Definitely the solution is to have more frequent inspections of the hallways rather than banning food in the rooms.