Cruise Surveillance video, how to obtain?

Micastrip1984

I would like to know how to obtain a video from the surveillance cameras from a trip made. How long is it kept for?

You need to contact your cruise line to determine under what circumstances, if any, they release surveillance tapes.

You need to contact your cruise line to determine under what circumstances, if any, they release surveillance tapes.

I agree with this answer. Start with the cruise line and tell them the whole story. You never know what their answer will be until you ask.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Need it for court, to prove that a certain individual was actually on the deck/pool area at a certain time.

Well, then your lawyer should know that he/she needs a subpoena to get it. And, if the individual you are looking for is not a cruise ship employee, it will most likely even harder to obtain. In that case, the cruise line will likely view the video to see if the person was there and contact him/her and their lawyer before releasing anything. Private security video, particularly on a non-US flag ship, is private property.

I know, from first hand, personal experience, you will NEVER get your hands on any kind of video from a ship on your own. Your lawyer will have to subpoena it and even then, you'll play hell trying to get it. Cruise ship companies LOVE playing CYA, even with attorneys.

I have to agree with the others here. The only way the video might be released is if your lawyer can get the presiding judge to issue a subpoena for evidence - assuming that the judge has jurisdiction where the cruise line has its headquarters. If this is a civil liability case rather than a criminal prosecution it's very unlikely that will happen.

It may be a moot point as many establishments overwrite their security images after a certain period of time.

Come on OP - don't leave us hanging.

Who was that individual, and just what was going on on that deck/pool at that particular time?

Maybe they cheated in the hairy chest contest?:confused:

But seriously, OP you have a long uphill climb as others have pointed out. The surveillance that is done is there for the cruise line's protection and while they might produce it in court to save their bacon it's doubtful they'll be in a hurry to provide it to you.

Come on OP - don't leave us hanging.

Who was that individual, and just what was going on on that deck/pool at that particular time?

They removed his belongings from the lounge chair he was saving for later in the afternoon so they could use it. :evilsmile:

Need it for court, to prove that a certain individual was actually on the deck/pool area at a certain time.

Your attorney will know what to do to get the information, if it still exists. If s/he doesn't know how, get another attorney. That is an early evidence class issue that all attorneys have to take first or second year.

How long ago was your cruise? Days or weeks, it’s probably retrievable; months, it’s much less likely. Either way you’ll either need an attorney, if it’s a civil court proceeding, or the police, if it’s a criminal court proceeding, to subpoena it.

Where I work we video tape everything. Our standard retention period for video is 90 days. No idea what the retention period is for cruise ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums