Celebrity Guaranteed Cabins

argyllsock

Hi Everyone,

We've been going with guaranteed cabin bookings lately with Celebrity. I am interested in getting a better understanding of what CC members' experience has been like with booking guaranteed cabins so I have set up brief survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WF77YX5

I'm hoping that you'll respond if you've booked a celebrity guarantee, and that this is allowed on the forums!

I'll post results in a few weeks

Thank you!

Absolutely!

Keep in mind it's hardly scientific but it will be interesting to see what CC member's experiences have been.

I plan to let people respond for the next day or two and then publish the results.

Thanks to everyone for answering!

I'm interested in the results. I have my first GTY booked with Celebrity and my stateroom hasn't been assigned yet. Booked just over a month ago for a September cruise.

Rsquirrel: just for comparison sake, we booked our first GTY on January 17, for an October 19 cruise (only GTYs were being offered in our desired category) and I noticed a few days ago that the cabin had been assigned.

Tom & Judy

I answered your survey.

For anyone who’s interested, I booked a Concierge Class guarantee for my first cruise. The sailing was in October 2017 on the Summit, and I booked the cruise in August, after final payment. Within days, I had my cabin assignment — 8162, a C3. It was the next-to-last cabin toward the aft on the starboard side. Since it was my first cruise, I didn’t know enough to have a location preference, but I ended up being very happy with this cabin. It was quiet and comfortable, and I didn’t feel the motion of the ship too much, as I did in the forward part of the ship.

The guarantee experience worked out great for me because I paid a really low price and got a cabin I was happy with. But at the same time, I learned on that cruise what I like and would not like in a cabin (I would not like being far forward, for example), and that makes me a little apprehensive about booking a guarantee in the future.

Rsquirrel: just for comparison sake, we booked our first GTY on January 17, for an October 19 cruise (only GTYs were being offered in our desired category) and I noticed a few days ago that the cabin had been assigned.

Tom & Judy

Still nothing for me. I check at least once a week. Booked Oceanview and they have lots available.

I completed your survey. In every instance when I booked a guarantee I’ve always been assigned a cabin within that category, what I find interesting is where within that category am I slotted. If booking a verandah guarantee I’ve almost always been assigned a 2C.

Hi,

Thanks to all who responded to my mini-survey. It’s by no means scientifically designed and, as such, provides only anecdotal observations. One would need a lot more responses to have any confidence in the results.

In any case, it was an interesting experiment!

If you read a lot of the posts and articles, there are varying suggestions on how to position yourself for an upgraded cabin. In fact, there are quite a few articles that say booking a guaranteed cabin category is one of the best ways to get a better cabin. Other suggestions include when you book and your loyalty to a line.

I tried to test a couple of the suggestions:

1. Does your loyalty status improve your odds of getting an upgrade on a cabin?

I had responses from those with no Captains Club status through to Elite Plus – no Zenith members responded. Elite and EliteMembers reported an upgrade in cabin 60% and 67% of the time. Surprisingly, new to Celebrity cruisers reported being upgraded 50% of the time.

Unfortunately, Select and Classic CC members had the worst odds of getting an upgrade, with only 29% of Select and No Classic members reporting an upgrade.

2. Does your time of booking have an impact on your upgrade odds?

The results here were quite interesting:

Booking Guaranteed:

· over 1 year in advance resulted in an upgrade 50% of the time

· 6 months to one year in advance resulted in an upgrade 40% of the time

· 90 – 180 days in advance resulted in an upgrade 80% of the time

· Booking less than 90 days in advance resulted in an upgrade 20% of the time

Keep in mind that my sample size was super small (22 responses) but it does appear that booking a guarantee about 3 months out gives you a pretty good shot at an upgrade…and this makes sense. At 90 days cruises can be cancelled without penalty (We have to look at the impact of the non-refundable deposits being rolled out at some point in the future), making it the perfect time to assign guarantees. Additionally, the full category upgrades (moving up from aqua to a suite for example) occurred with bookings that were made 180 days or less from sailing. Full category upgrades where rare, occurring for 10% of the respondents.

There really are not enough observations to draw any clear conclusions but it would appear that the strategy that could bring you an upgrade on a guarantee is to book close to the full payment or penalty date for reservations.

My take away? Always book a category guarantee that you would be happy with -- getting a substantial upgrade is rare...and if you have flexibility, try to book a guarantee shortly before the penalty for cruise cancellation kicks in!

On one cruise I booked a Veranda guarantee and got a C2, my friends that booked and Inside guarantee within a day or 2 of us ended up with a FV. We both did well but they did way better than we did.

I just answered the survey and hope it was not too late for your compilation of answers. I would love to know the results.

In my case, I had booked a cruise in April 2017 for an October 2017 10 day on Eclipse in a balcony (not a guaranteed at that time). When it was time to make the final payment, I realized I could get a Concierge (guaranteed) for less $ and yet get 5 Captain's Club points per day. I was immediately assigned a cabin #. However, couple of weeks later, they had changed my cabin #. When I called, I was told since I had booked a 'Concierge Guarantee', they were entitled to assign me ANY Concierge cabin. We were pleased with the cabin we did get, but I should have checked the cabin I was originally assigned to see the difference. Oh well, note to self if it happens again.

Going on another TransAtlantic in April 2018, but they didn't offer the Balcony/Concierge guarantee, so took the Concierge.

Great survey! A couple of years ago we booked an OV GTY for a mere $50 more p/p than an inside for a 12 Night British Isles Cruise. Waited until about a week out to be assigned. Well, what a surprise it was, as Celebrity awarded us a C2 on the hump. Best room on the ship for our tastes. Travel agent said she had no input as to where we would end up. Other times we have gotten exactly what was promised, I.E. inside ended up with an inside. Usually good ones though, never a need to change. Very happy with Celebrity!!!

It should be taken into account that after the final payment the upgrade has not been granted to all, some have been successful, and others have been denied. Before the final payment the great majority has been successful when requesting the upgrade.

2/4 of our Celebrity Cruises have been Guarantee Bookings. The last 2 have not. After reading a recent thread concerning a cancellation on Azamara, I'm not sure I will book a guarantee again with RCI and one of its subsidiaries. The OP, who had booked a Guarantee with Azamara, got a text at the airport as they were about to board the plane to fly to their cruise cancelling their cruise) - it got sorted in the end - but it appears that a Guarantee is anything but

Booked a W class room (guaranteed sky suite) and was allocated a room a few days later. In my opinion it was the worst positioned S2 on the ship. I then noticed that 6145 had become available. This is one of two suites that are arguably the best S1 sky suites on M class ships.

I called our TA and asked if we could change. I fully expected the answer to be no. However the TA called Celebrity and asked, they said yes and at no extra cost. Result.

Incidentally we recently booked guarantee rooms on RCL. At the time of booking I discussed the horror stories written here on cruise critic about people having their guarantee rooms cancelled. The person I spoke too didn't believe this could happen. Anyway, we've been allocated our rooms, two categories higher than the minimum, so all good. Assuming they won't be cancelled a day before we're due to sail!

Incidentally we recently booked guarantee rooms on RCL. At the time of booking I discussed the horror stories written here on cruise critic about people having their guarantee rooms cancelled. The person I spoke too didn't believe this could happen. Anyway, we've been allocated our rooms, two categories higher than the minimum, so all good. Assuming they won't be cancelled a day before we're due to sail!

You make me nervous that when I board the Eclipse next March 18, X kicks me in the nameless.:rolleyes:

We booked interior GTY, X assigned us CAT 11 on deck 7, after several price drops I call my TA and ask for a upgrade to Veranda GTY, X assigned us CAT 2C on deck 6 and lower rate. This cruise is almost full.

I hope X protects our reservation.

I did not make that mistake with my reservations of 2019 and after reading these messages I never went back to book GTY.

Hi,

Thanks to all who responded to my mini-survey. It’s by no means scientifically designed and, as such, provides only anecdotal observations. One would need a lot more responses to have any confidence in the results.

In any case, it was an interesting experiment!

If you read a lot of the posts and articles, there are varying suggestions on how to position yourself for an upgraded cabin. In fact, there are quite a few articles that say booking a guaranteed cabin category is one of the best ways to get a better cabin. Other suggestions include when you book and your loyalty to a line.

I tried to test a couple of the suggestions:

I had responses from those with no Captains Club status through to Elite Plus – no Zenith members responded. Elite and EliteMembers reported an upgrade in cabin 60% and 67% of the time. Surprisingly, new to Celebrity cruisers reported being upgraded 50% of the time.

Unfortunately, Select and Classic CC members had the worst odds of getting an upgrade, with only 29% of Select and No Classic members reporting an upgrade.

The results here were quite interesting:

Booking Guaranteed:

· over 1 year in advance resulted in an upgrade 50% of the time

· 6 months to one year in advance resulted in an upgrade 40% of the time

· 90 – 180 days in advance resulted in an upgrade 80% of the time

· Booking less than 90 days in advance resulted in an upgrade 20% of the time

Keep in mind that my sample size was super small (22 responses) but it does appear that booking a guarantee about 3 months out gives you a pretty good shot at an upgrade…and this makes sense. At 90 days cruises can be cancelled without penalty (We have to look at the impact of the non-refundable deposits being rolled out at some point in the future), making it the perfect time to assign guarantees. Additionally, the full category upgrades (moving up from aqua to a suite for example) occurred with bookings that were made 180 days or less from sailing. Full category upgrades where rare, occurring for 10% of the respondents.

There really are not enough observations to draw any clear conclusions but it would appear that the strategy that could bring you an upgrade on a guarantee is to book close to the full payment or penalty date for reservations.

My take away? Always book a category guarantee that you would be happy with -- getting a substantial upgrade is rare...and if you have flexibility, try to book a guarantee shortly before the penalty for cruise cancellation kicks in!

Sorry for the delay in updating. I received 53 survey submissions. Did it change my responses to the questions?

It appears that your loyalty status does have a slight impact on your odds of getting an upgrade. Overall, 30% of the respondents received a 'minor' upgrade (better cabin in the category) and 6% received a 'major' upgrade (upgrade either one or two major levels better cabin). Major upgrades were provided to Elite and Elite Plus members only (14%). Minor upgrades were generally the same across the board - status had little to do with getting a better cabin in the category.

Booking closer to your cruise date does seem to increase the likelihood of a 'major' upgrade. Booking over 6 months out did not result in a major upgrade for any respondent - 8% of the bookings made within 180 days resulted in a major upgrade. Again, minor upgrades occurred pretty much at the same frequency regardless of when the booking occurred.

I have added a third question:

3. Are particular cabin categories more likely to result in an upgrade?

It appears that booking an inside through verandah has a higher likelihood of getting an upgrade. Verandah bookings experienced minor upgrades 44% of the time and major upgrades 6% of the time. Oceanview bookings experienced minor upgrades 29% of the time and major upgrades 14% of the time. Interior guarantees were upgraded 17% 'minor' and 17% 'major'.

Observations:

• Guarantees are not a path to an upgrade.
  • You are more likely to get an upgraded cabin from a guaranteed booking if you are in Interior through Verandah classes, and having an elevated Captain's Club level doesn't hurt.

Again, the golden rule of booking applies: if you want a particular cabin, book it; don't hope for a guarantee since you will more than likely get exactly what has been guaranteed!

• Thanks 1