Britannia v Britannia Club?

Number34

Have been on wait list for Britannia Club and can now up grade from Britannia obstructed view for $$+!

Apart from anytime dining are there any other advantages that would make t worthwhile?

I will be interested in the replies.

We are Guarantee Britannia ClubA1 for the 2018 Queen Elizabeth World Cruise.

I was doing the math this morning and the price differential between the regular Britannia grade and the AI would MORE than pay for eating in Verandah every evening. I just don't know if I could eat there for 50 nights, let alone the entire trip.

If you are doing a 7 night voyage, the cost for two people in Verandah would be $490+. so that is $245 per person.

For our 93 day trip, the cost for the two of us would be $6510. ($3260 pp.) We are paying considerably more for the Brittania Club than a similar size cabin.

We have done Princess Grill for 28 days and that was wonderful. The latest posts on the new menu are disappointing.

From my point of view, paying the extra for Club is not worth it. Yes, the small dining room is nice and you get great service. Eating when I want did not make much difference because I always ended up at dinner at about (withing 10 minutes) the same time.

On QE the cabins are exactly the same as Britannia. The "pillow menu" and better linens were not in evidence. I actually liked my Britannia cabin on deck 7 better than the Club on deck 8. I was directly under the pool deck and it was quite noisy.

I was doing the math this morning and the price differential between the regular Britannia grade and the AI would MORE than pay for eating in Verandah every evening. I just don't know if I could eat there for 50 nights, let alone the entire trip.

If you are doing a 7 night voyage, the cost for two people in Verandah would be $490+. so that is $245 per person.

For our 93 day trip, the cost for the two of us would be $6510. ($3260 pp.) We are paying considerably more for the Brittania Club than a similar size cabin.

We have done Princess Grill for 28 days and that was wonderful. The latest posts on the new menu are disappointing.

I am confused. You are doing a 93 day cruise for $3260 per person? Or are you saying it costs $3260 pp to upgrade from a regular verandah to a Britannia Club cabin?

No, we are paying far more than that per person for the 93 day cruise.

I was making the point that eating every meal in The Verandah Restaurant would cost $3260 per person, which is less than the cost differential between the top Britannia balcony cabin and Brittania Club. The cabins are the same size.

Britannia Club offers a private dining experience in the Britannia Restaurant.

The Verandah offers a Specialty experience in a private dining room.

In Britannia Club one gets the anytime dining, a reserved table for all meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), a smaller more intimate dining room than the Britannia, a few more menu options at dinner, and flambe desserts at dinner. I did not find the service any different than I found in Britannia. We liked the Club, especially the anytime dining. But in all honesty, I'm not sure if it is worth the extra cost over Britannia, which is just fine IMHO.

Thanks for replies so far. Forgot to mention it is a TA on QM2.

In that case, consider that Britannia Club cabins are on Decks 12 and 13. Comments here indicate that a sheltered balcony is more serviceable than a higher deck cabin on a TA. If sea sickness is an issue, conventional wisdom is to go as low and mid ship as possible.

Have been on wait list for Britannia Club and can now up grade from Britannia obstructed view for $$+!

Apart from anytime dining are there any other advantages that would make t worthwhile?

If you're a "foodie" like us I'd consider it. You do have a Al a Carte menu with the other menu. Other than that, not really any difference except that you're high up on the ship.

Keith, I respect your opinion, especially on all things food. ;-)

I appreciate your vote of confidence.

We loved the Princess Grill on QM2 but let's face it, a PG on a World Cruise is not cheap. We are Brittania Club A1 guarantee with our fingers crossed for the totally unlikely possibility that we might get an upgrade.

Food is a big issue with us as we consider ourselves foodies as well.

No, we are paying far more than that per person for the 93 day cruise.

I was making the point that eating every meal in The Verandah Restaurant would cost $3260 per person, which is less than the cost differential between the top Britannia balcony cabin and Brittania Club. The cabins are the same size.

Britannia Club offers a private dining experience in the Britannia Restaurant.

The Verandah offers a Specialty experience in a private dining room.

I appreciate the clarification. Well stated and good point.

Hi Bananavan: I am considering upgrading to Brittania Club for our 41 night segment starting in January 2018. It is currently showing as sold out but I am sure cabins will open up. We have done Brittania Club before and I really enjoyed the flexibility of the anytime dining choice but honestly it is dependent on pricing since the rooms are identical. I am sure I could not eat in Verandah more than once a week and while we eat on the later side at home, 8:30 for such a long trip is really late. Another alternative which we did quite a bit on the QM2 on longer cruises and I know is available on the QE as well is the alternative dining that they have each evening which is set up in the buffet (Asian, Italian, Indian..) I could do each of those choices at least once a week and be very happy and the uncharge is minimal. Dress code for this option is the same as in the dining room (if that matters).

• 1 year later...
From my point of view, paying the extra for Club is not worth it. Yes, the small dining room is nice and you get great service. Eating when I want did not make much difference because I always ended up at dinner at about (withing 10 minutes) the same time.

On QE the cabins are exactly the same as Britannia. The "pillow menu" and better linens were not in evidence. I actually liked my Britannia cabin on deck 7 better than the Club on deck 8. I was directly under the pool deck and it was quite noisy.

Scrapnana, I know this is an old thread but could you answer a couple of questions for me. Are the Balcony Club cabins noisy at night too and what time did the noise start in the morning (3am or 6am for example?) We have booked #8054 on QE for 32 days.

Thanks, Rose

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Porky55

There is no doubt that the biggest advantage to Club level is the open dining time. So whether the added cost of Club is worth it, is purely subjective. For my wife and I, we did not want to be pressed by an assigned dining time. There were days when we were involved in a game or had met some new folks in one of the bars or out on the Promenade Deck and were glad that we did not have to rush off to get ready for dinner. It was also our habit to have a glass of wine in our cabin while dressing for dinner but some days this turned into a couple of glasses. So for us, the open schedule fit our style and was well worth the added cost. I also had sea food almost every night and enjoyed having a half dozen seared scallops added to my plate each night from the A la Carte menu. And while I can't prove this, i honestly think that the service level and attention paid by the staff from our steward and dining staff may have been stepped up a bit. In any case, for us, the added cost was well worth it.

There is no doubt that the biggest advantage to Club level is the open dining time. So whether the added cost of Club is worth it, is purely subjective. For my wife and I, we did not want to be pressed by an assigned dining time. There were days when we were involved in a game or had met some new folks in one of the bars or out on the Promenade Deck and were glad that we did not have to rush off to get ready for dinner. It was also our habit to have a glass of wine in our cabin while dressing for dinner but some days this turned into a couple of glasses. So for us, the open schedule fit our style and was well worth the added cost. I also had sea food almost every night and enjoyed having a half dozen seared scallops added to my plate each night from the A la Carte menu. And while I can't prove this, i honestly think that the service level and attention paid by the staff from our steward and dining staff may have been stepped up a bit. In any case, for us, the added cost was well worth it.

Jack E Dawson

All your comments are the reasons we booked our Club cabin in the first place and we are looking forward to our cruise.

My only concern is the Pavilion pool above the cabins - does it intrude with noise early mornings in the Club cabins? We had a dreadful experience a few cruises back with noise and would like to avoid it again if possible. 🧐

Rose

Our Club cabin was 12022. Very quiet. However, we made friends with a couple whose cabin was also on deck 12 but only 3 cabins from the pool area. They told us that the Jamaican Band that played every afternoon kept them from taking their afternoon nap. We suggested they join us in the stern hot tub and drink wine in the afternoon. they chose to change cabins. We were forced to drink their wine.

Scrapnana, I know this is an old thread but could you answer a couple of questions for me. Are the Balcony Club cabins noisy at night too and what time did the noise start in the morning (3am or 6am for example?) We have booked #8054 on QE for 32 days.

Thanks, Rose

I will be boarding the QE tomorrow.

I am going to be in 8068 so I will come back here and tell you. It might not be tomorrow but sometime in the week.

The Club balcony cabins on QM2 are not going to be the same because of the locations.

I am going to be in 8068 so I will come back here and tell you. It might not be tomorrow but sometime in the week.

The Club balcony cabins on QM2 are not going to be the same because of the locations.

Thank you for this, made my day [emoji6] really want to keep the cabin we have chosen but for first time ever am a touch “cabin shy” and really would like to know!!

Thanks again, just wanting to know about noise later in the night (disturbing sleep) or very early mornings, don’t care about during the days [emoji41][emoji924] hope to busy on the ship!

Edited by Porky55

IMO the only solid advantage of Britannia Club is a guaranteed table for two for dinner..

Things must have changed then becasue the only time we had Britannia Club, we asked for a table for two but were assigned a table for 8 (or may have been 10).

Britannia Club advantages: Anytime dining, and a slightly enlarged menu with a few more dishes. And they will flame your dessert. Some passengers like the location of the Britannia Club staterooms.

The first time that we were on the QM2 was a three week voyage, S'ton to NY, upthe east coast, then NY back to S'ton. We were on a table of eight in Britannia, right in the middle - the noisiest part. I can only hear in one ear and if there is noise around me I cannot make out what people are saying. The maitre 'd refused to move us and I ended up not eating in the dining room.

We have since been twice in Britannia Club and the experience is totally different. Table for two, quieter, and far better service.

Not being a fan of "anytimeDining" I may be a tad biased in my opinion of the "club cubbie spaces" VS the basic But magnificent Britannia Dining Rooms.

My first experience with Cunard was in the QE2 Coronia Dining Room which was a real separate space. And the Coronia staterooms were rather better than the Britannia grade. Since then the "Club" seems to offer nothing better than anytime dining for dinner. Britannia offers anytime time dining for breakfast and lunch but a set dinner time with fabulous table mates Vs. the chance in the "Club" of getting anytime dining with a bunch of people who arrive and leave the table not unlike a school cafeteria. So why pay a premium for, in my opinion, less than premium experiences. As to menu differences, I have always been able to obtain whatever I desired in Britannia. Just ask and it arrives.

The reason we choose NOT to dine in the main Britannia restaurant, is less to do with the time - although it must be said neither times suit us - but more to do with speed.

When you have considerable pain sitting for long, and even if only eating one, or at most two courses as we do, you are STILL served at the same pace as everyone else, it doesn’t work. I know, we have tried it! Even on a table for two, we were matched, course by course, to the tables nearby. Understandable given how many covers the waiters are serving. But that doesn’t help us! And we ended up having to leave, sometimes without a course we had hoped to receive.

So choosing anytime dining, in the restaurant/accommodation of our choice, works best FOR US! We get what we want, when we want it - quickly! And minimising the pain!