Question for major allergy sufferers regarding reactions on cruise ships

live2learn

Hey all, I am trying to determine if certain cruises would be good or bad for a nephew that has major allergy issues. I know that the Caribbean (or anywhere with a major expectation of pollen) would be bad. I am wondering about Alaskan or possibly a late fall New England cruise might be ok. He can't even really go to the beach, because of the grass pollen. I am even partially concerned about the potential for mold on board ship (yes, I know they do their best to keep up maintenance and cleanliness, but constant water environment...)

So, I am tired of watching him have to forgo yearly relaxation and I would like advice from others, ...if it is available.

That would be a great question for his allergist, who knows him and his allergies. I hope you’re able to help him find something that he will love and enjoy! Kudos to you for trying to help!

Hey all, I am trying to determine if certain cruises would be good or bad for a nephew that has major allergy issues. I know that the Caribbean (or anywhere with a major expectation of pollen) would be bad. I am wondering about Alaskan or possibly a late fall New England cruise might be ok. He can't even really go to the beach, because of the grass pollen. I am even partially concerned about the potential for mold on board ship (yes, I know they do their best to keep up maintenance and cleanliness, but constant water environment...)

So, I am tired of watching him have to forgo yearly relaxation and I would like advice from others, ...if it is available.

Whatever port locations you decide on (I agree with talking to your MD), consider cruises with numerous sea days (e.g., transoceanic).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It seems no matter when you go to the Caribbean, you always see flowering plants - something those of us without allergies just love, but if you do have allergies, it can be awful. You could go on an Alaskan cruise, but there are always pine and spruce trees which can shed pollen as well. Would the dust created by dry leaves cause an issue in the fall while going on a fall foiliage cruise? That's a tough one; I feel bad for the young man who has these issues.

The suggestion to speak to his allergist is a good one - definitely have him follow that one up.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Pollen is everywhere...and so is mold...can't be helped, unless, perhaps, you're in the Mohave desert! I'm sure there are remedies for his allergies...and he should bring his medications and any epi-pens, or whatever crucial meds he might need. I have allergies, but in the salt air, they seem to abate.

Allergens are everywhere. Unless he's required to be in a "bubble", he (or his parents) should know how to handle it.

As for Alaska being "safer for allergies", I took a summer land-sea trip there when they were having wildfires near Anchorage, and the smoke activated asthma that I'd never had for my previous 60 years.....and has been a pain in the neck since then: in the winter, around any smoke, and around any smelly aerosols.....

There are no guarantees anywhere. But it would be awful to limit access to the world in fear. Is there no happy medium where you can plan ahead for worst case scenarios (medication, etc.)?

Surely this is something for the boy, his parents, and their allergist to work out. And just because you're allergic to some pollens doesn't mean you're allergic to all of them, or molds, or anything else for that matter. I get bad reactions to certain tree and flower pollens at home in the late summer, yet I can work in my garden all day at other times of the year. I know I'm allergic to both ragweed and goldenrod pollens. But I can sniff wild ginger plants and jasmine in the Caribbean with nary a sniffle.

What is he allergic to? I know where I live, ragweed gets going in the fall, not sure about New England. I don’t know much about Alaska allergies, but cruises only go there in the summer, so I would think there are still flowering plants with pollen.

My truest advice is that this is an issue for him to work out with his allergist. The combination of indoor and outdoor allergies takes many many things off the table. Curious where he lives now and how he manages at home. My allergies are controlled with medications but know that allergy shots are the next step up in treatment for severe allergies. He may want to look into that if he hasn’t.

They have protocols for food allergies and some environmental allergies (pillows, blankets). Everything else is up to the individual.

We travel with allergies and bring all sorts of meds with us.

I can't answer your question; I can say that my husband's hay fever was much less when we lived at a beach, and he rarely seems to suffer when we're aboard a ship. Everyone's case is different, though.

As an allergy sufferer, I find that any "new" environment has the potential to rile up my allergies. Different areas have different pollens, molds, grasses, etc. It would be very hard to determine which new destination would be best. Definitely, have him talk to his doctor and bring any medications that may be needed.

Wishing all of you a happy and healthy voyage.

I hope you can find a solution.

There is another issue on cruise ships. Especially older ones that are not well maintained or have experienced maintenance cutbacks.

In many rooms air is filtered as it enters the cabin from the HVAC system. If the filter repalcement schedule has been put aside or elongated people with allergies could suffer. I am one of those people. So, if you or your loved one does wake up in the middle of the first or second night with breathing or other problems do not hesitate to ask the front desk to specifically check the filter and replace it if necessary. If possible, try to be there when the maintenance folks are there so you can physically see the filter prior to or after replacement.

I can't answer your question; I can say that my husband's hay fever was much less when we lived at a beach, and he rarely seems to suffer when we're aboard a ship. Everyone's case is different, though.

Same for my husband and myself. The sea air seems to help everything.

Sorry about the radio silence, life had one of those unexpected up-ticks in busyness. I am taking all the advice under advisement, and plan to pursue it further with him. Your opinions and experiences will give us something to discuss as opposed to just my own suppositions and personal experience (which I knew wasn't helpful).

Certainly his physician would be the best for advice on his travel and especially what medications he should have with him.

I have allergies to just about everything that grows here, plus dust and mold. I rarely have an allergy problem when I travel, and I have traveled all over the world.