MSC Status Match - don't do it !!

CoupleUK

MSC Status Match - don't do it !!

We have sailed with Royal a lot but felt the service was getting so bad (and penny-pinching getting worse) that we welcomed the Status Match offered by MSC

As someone who doesnt do anything by halves, we booked 4 cruises with MSC (2 back to backs in Jan 2017 and 2018). We then got a great deal in December 2016 and took that.

The service aboard MSC is a 100% improvement on Royal; it really is good.

The cost for everything from the cruise, to drinks, wifi, laundry and excursions is around 70% of the cost on Royal too.

BUT that is where it ends.

The food is disgusting on MSC, the daytime activities are virtually non-existent, the evening shows (lasting 30 mins) are the same "acts" every night but with dancers in different costumes. Though The A-Team were amazing.

It will cost us too much to cancel our B2B in January 2018 but Im hoping the Yacht Club experience might be manageable.

We aren't ready to rush back to Royal just yet though.

So, can anyone recommend any cruise lines which offer;

1) affordability (ie not the 6* lines)

2) decent food

3) quality entertainment

Huge thanks if you can.

We used the status match to try MSC in Jan 2016 and had a totally different experience than you, we really liked them.

We found the food slightly better than RCL has been lately. Yes the style is a bit different, much more European in style and less 'fast food' type items but we enjoyed it. I especially loved the pasta course in the MDR every night.

I know what you mean about the shows but to me it seemed like instead of one act doing the whole show every night, you got bits of different acts in each show. We enjoyed it enough to see the show every night which we don't always do on RCL.

We only had one sea day so I didn't really pay much attention to daytime activities.

We've sailed RCL mostly but always do other lines too just for a change, I don't think any one of the mainstream lines is that much better than all the others, you just have to pick the bits that you like best on each one and decide from there. To me, Celebrity has the best food but then their entertainment is not a patch on some of the others....horses for courses as they say:)

Julie

We used the status match to try MSC in Jan 2016 and had a totally different experience than you, we really liked them.

We found the food slightly better than RCL has been lately. Yes the style is a bit different, much more European in style and less 'fast food' type items but we enjoyed it. I especially loved the pasta course in the MDR every night.

I know what you mean about the shows but to me it seemed like instead of one act doing the whole show every night, you got bits of different acts in each show. We enjoyed it enough to see the show every night which we don't always do on RCL.

We only had one sea day so I didn't really pay much attention to daytime activities.

We've sailed RCL mostly but always do other lines too just for a change, I don't think any one of the mainstream lines is that much better than all the others, you just have to pick the bits that you like best on each one and decide from there. To me, Celebrity has the best food but then their entertainment is not a patch on some of the others....horses for courses as they say:)

Julie

Thanks for the comparison info Julie.:)

MSC is 1/3 the price of Royal. Royal prices are going insane but as long as they keep filling ships nothing will change. Don't let the secret out how good MSC is, I'm enjoying my cut rates. More vacation for me. Not sure why you've posted here since you don't want to sail Royal either where the food is arguably the worst of any major cruise line and the entertainment is equally as repetitive. What sort of suggestions are you trying to solicit? :confused:

Sorry you did not enjoy MSC. You will love the YC I am sure. I had a great time on MSC. I thought the food was better...esp the pizza and wine served, it was cleaner...a ton cheaper and the servers were friendly. I am not a show person so I can't comment on that.

I have not done MSC in over 10 years , but food was way better than most lines back then including RCCL. food at RCCL seems to be getting worse every year, had dinner in specialty which were great ( with one exception ) 8 of 12 nights on last cruise. Might switch to MSC Yacht in 2018 depending on our 2017 cruises on RCCL or go back to Sandals where food is much better than RCCL and no nickel and dimming or tipping

I was on the Divina in January. I am a 60 ish woman and often travel solo on Princess. Because most of the passengers were not very fluent in English it was difficult to make conversations. I was not impressed with the food and the dining room servers were a bit unorganized. Otherwise the majority of staff and crew were very good. I had an outstanding Fantastica balcony cabin and my steward Edy, was the best. My biggest concern was that the ship, which was lovely, was so over crowded. Pool lounges had towels and them by 9am. Many people commented how fast and hard the elevator doors would shut on people. Most be to move all the people on her. I would think that booking YC would prevent my concerns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Obvious what's going on here, posting negative review hoping to keep MSC to themselves. Last MSC cruise we did, the food was better than Royal, yes, shows are different because of different nationalities on board and there are some negatives like hardly any dinner tables for 2. we found more entertainment going on in lounges, on Royal you get that time before dinner around 18:00 when it seems nothing is going on at all. Having said all that, I'm still loyal to Royal but do stray!

I love MSC especially the food , Im vegetarian and their Pasta dishes and salads were fantastic, I even had dishes cooked for me that were not on the menu mmmmmmm Vegetable curry was great. I also found the entertainment very entertaining they had some amazing acrobats and contortionists , Balcony cabins are a great size and incredibly cheap compared to RCI and the All inclusive drinks package is great value too, In fact of the cruise lines Ive sailed with MSC are my favourite :) im sailing with RCI in July ive not been with them for 3 years so it will be interesting to see how RCI compares once again now ive done MSC

Is MSC dressier than Royal? I love Royal but after we make diamond i would love to try MSC and i do love getting to wear dresses and seeing my husband in a nice suite. However lately I'm in the minority in my gown on formal night ( Not that that will stop me )

I tried MSC. Pizza was fantastic, but found the Dining Room food was luke warm and mediocre. The staff was pleasant but not overly engaged (maybe language barrier?). Ship (Davina) was beautiful, if oddly laid out. We liked the shows a lot because they were different from the usual RCI offerings. Cabin was nice but a bit short on storage space. (All cruise lines have plusses and minuses) If I stop here, I would cruise on MSC again. BUT, the difficulties I found with customer service, both on board and shoreside, were mountains that I will not try to cross again. I was so excited by this line, but the CS totally turned me off and away. I don't ask for a lot, just what I was promised and paid for.

I tried MSC. Pizza was fantastic, but found the Dining Room food was luke warm and mediocre. The staff was pleasant but not overly engaged (maybe language barrier?). Ship (Davina) was beautiful, if oddly laid out. We liked the shows a lot because they were different from the usual RCI offerings. Cabin was nice but a bit short on storage space. (All cruise lines have plusses and minuses) If I stop here, I would cruise on MSC again. BUT, the difficulties I found with customer service, both on board and shoreside, were mountains that I will not try to cross again. I was so excited by this line, but the CS totally turned me off and away. I don't ask for a lot, just what I was promised and paid for.
I have one booking with them and find that their CS is significantly improved over last year.

Pretty much a weak review.

You hate MSC because of short shows, daytime activities & disgusting food.

Obviously you have not had RC food in a while.

My experience with the Posea's food is like shown above. I strongly recommend pay the $100 for the dining package, as MSC does have outstanding specialty dining. Best advise is to eat lunch & dinner in the specialty dining (Pizza Place too) or go Yacht Club!

Status matching, what are their benefits? Emerald and Diamond? Diamond Lounge?

Any live music and dancing? Choice of clubs? Other night time activities like Quest, Love and Marriage, Battle of the Sexes etc. ?

How many days does the upgraded $100 cover for specialty restaurants? Is that per person?

Food is subjective, but can you choose old favorites every night in the MDR?

If so, what are they, apps and entrees.

Thank you in advance......I should probably post this on the MSC boards, but never been there.

Hoping regular posters here will have an input.

Thanks again. Seaside looks temping.

If you are a Diamond or above they match you to their Black tier, which is their highest tier. From what I've read; Comp bottle of bubbles in cabin, chocolate strawberries, and complimentary dinner in specialty restaurant (from a reduced menu). 5% discount when booking.

All perks clearly laid out on their status match page.

Here is the link to the status levels and benefits:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/MSC-Voyagers-Club/Voyagers-Club.aspx

SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE A. (MSC PREZIOSA)

The best food experience at sea at a value price! The package is composed of FIVE unique experiences: one lunch or dinner in Eataly Restaurant + one dinner in the elegant Ristorante Italia + one dinner in our sensory fusion Galaxy Restaurant + one experience in American Sports Bar + one pizza at our Pizzeria Italia. Eataly Restaurant experience includes one appetizer (selection of Eataly cold cuts and cheeses), one Eataly pasta dish of your choice, one main course of your choice (Piedmont beef dish or Eataly fish dish) and one Eataly-branded ice cream. Ristorante Italia experience includes the signature table d'hôte fish menu composed of seven dishes. The Galaxy restaurant experience includes our exclusive Seven Wonders menu with seven dishes and seven wines. The American Sports Bar experience includes our famous Sample Platter. The Pizzeria Eataly experience includes any pizza of your choice from our pizza menu (one meter of pizza is excluded). Our Maître d'hôtel will assist you with planning and reservation of your prepaid experiences. AVAILABLE ONLY ON MSC PREZIOSA

Total costs of this package comes to £75 per person

Trying MSC for the first time in October. Cruise was dirt cheap. How bad can it be!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by little britain

Status matching, what are their benefits? Emerald and Diamond? Diamond Lounge?

Any live music and dancing? Choice of clubs? Other night time activities like Quest, Love and Marriage, Battle of the Sexes etc. ?

How many days does the upgraded $100 cover for specialty restaurants? Is that per person?

Food is subjective, but can you choose old favorites every night in the MDR?

If so, what are they, apps and entrees.

Thank you in advance......I should probably post this on the MSC boards, but never been there.

Hoping regular posters here will have an input.

Thanks again. Seaside looks temping.

We sailed out of Abu Dhabi and I think the experience was similar to European cruises, reading the MSC board, sailings out of the US are more 'Americanised'.

They had always available items, mains were chicken breast, fish(I think salmon) and spaghetti bolognese. The spaghetti was excellent, I had it for lunch one day (MDR is open for lunch every day even in port), and it was so nice I had to have it again for dinner a few days later. I'm not sure about starters, they did have a very good Greek salad that I had as a side on several occasions.

The menu is laid out with lots of different courses, starter, soup, salad, pasta, main, cheese and dessert. All servings are small except the pasta course which was quite big.

The ships are designed with lots of different bar areas and many have musicians/duos playing during the evening. The large lounge had game show type entertainment on quite late, second seating was at 9 and I think it started after that. We never went as we had a favourite bar where we would go and listen to the duo there. Bear in mind that show type entertainment is different because of the multiple languages of passengers.

On thing we did notice,there is no live orchestra in the theatre, the music was taped.

Hope this helps, lots more info on MSC boards,

Julie

I have tried to do the loyalty match with MSC each time I have failed and even talked to a Rep.

Now I get to the part to load a loyalty card from RC which includes some kind of dates for expiration??????

What is the RC loyalty card???? Never had one

I have tried to do the loyalty match with MSC each time I have failed and even talked to a Rep.

Now I get to the part to load a loyalty card from RC which includes some kind of dates for expiration??????

What is the RC loyalty card???? Never had one

We just used an old seapass card showing your C and A status on the bottom.

Julie