Gem Dress Up Or Not Night

stulew

First NCL cruise coming up in April and still not really clear regarding the dress code for the dress up or not night. I understand that the norm is casual/resort casual but do many men wear suits on this night or do the majority just wear resort casual? Don't want to look out of place!

First NCL cruise coming up in April and still not really clear regarding the dress code for the dress up or not night. I understand that the norm is casual/resort casual but do many men wear suits on this night or do the majority just wear resort casual? Don't want to look out of place!

In my experience it's usually a nice mix of people who wear resort casual and the folks who will wear a coat or coat and tie and the ladies looking nice in dresses. I don't think you will look out of place with whatever you choose unless it's your best sleeveless NASCAR t-shirt.

Actually, I couldn't tell the difference between this and any other night. Wear whatever you feel comfortable in.

Yes, I honestly can rarely tell when it is.

It is actually called Norwegian Night Out these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're on the Gem last April - sailing again this April on her again, out of NYC. Every night is DUONN for the MDR - we've noticed very few, if any, coming in with a jacket or tie, never mind a suit or tux ... some of the ladies/women do tend to dress up for supper. Resort casual is basically a neat, collared polo shirt (loved my collection of solid color Eddie Bauer and LL Beans, both long & short sleeve) & a pair of chinos (actually, dark colored BDU/cargo pants are fine) + dockers (no flip flops ... never know if someone get bumped & spill that hot cup of water/tea or soup/stew)

Sometimes, you will see a large party sailing together & they dress up a bit ... probably doing the studo portraits in the atrium lobby with the ship's photographer, even on Captain's "Hour" as he is usually available in the lobby area for photos.

Check the Freestyle Dailies for the latest "guideline" on what not to wear at specific dining revenue for the evening - Aqua, the smaller MDR is always resort casual - shorts seen/allowed for dinner, not just lunch.

Just don't show up wearing those cotton bath robe and you will be fine & not look out of place at dinner time, unless it's your own extended balcony.

Yes, I honestly can rarely tell when it is.

It is actually called Norwegian Night Out these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not much difference in the MDR but some people really go all out for photos in the atrium. Impressive the lengths some go to.

Fewer and fewer coats and ties for gents. Mostly resort casual (not shorts casual,,, although there are some of those too).

Most people dress up if they are taking professional photos.

Tuxes mostly extinct on NCL.

Its just like NCL advertises - do what you want. I would say that about 15 percent of the folks dressed up. Just as a comparison I was on Carnival recently and about half the folks dressed up on what was called something like a dress up night.

• 2 weeks later...

On NCL you will see very little formal wear. By "formal" I mean tuxedos, etc. There will be some, but not many. You will see a handful of jackets and ties,and a decent number of men wearing jackets with no tie. The bulk will just be casual without a jacket. As is often the case, the women make a better go of it than the men in the look neat category.

In 8 Alaska cruises it was blue jeans and a t shirt for me even in Le Bistro. I don't like to dress up at home let alone when I'm on vacation. No ties, suits button up shirts or even collars if I don't want to wear them. As long as your clothes are clean and not full of holes you should be good.