Veendam October 11 2014 Sailing Cancelled

billfromtulsa

From the HAL website

Oct. 3, 2014 — Repair work has been in progress to address a technical problem with one of the propellers on ms Veendam. As work has progressed alongside in Quebec, it has been determined that a complete repair can only be made in a dry-dock.

As a result, Holland America Line regrettably must cancel the seven day Canada & New England cruises on ms Veendam departing Oct. 4 from Boston to Quebec and Oct. 11 from Quebec to Boston.

We are profoundly sorry for the disappointment of our guests who have been impacted by these required repairs.

Guests booked on the seven-day Oct. 4th and Oct. 11th sailings will receive a full refund of their cruise fare plus a future cruise credit of 100 percent of their cruise fare paid. In addition, we will reimburse non-refundable expenses such as missed tours and excursions that were purchased through Holland America Line.

Holland America Line is working closely with all guests scheduled to sail on this voyage and their travel agents to assist with necessary changes.

Guests with questions may call 1-877-425-2231 or 1-206-626-7398 for more information.

The ship will sail under its own power without guests from Quebec to Philadelphia where the dry dock work will take place. All services and safety systems on the ship are fully operational.

At Holland America Line, the safety and well-being of our guests and crew is our top priority.

WOW ... this in turning into a real problem for us ... I never expected it to get this far. We are scheduled to sail Veendam from FLL on Oct 22 and disembark in San Diego. We have a condo rented in the southwest area for 30 days. We are then scheduled to sail the Amsterdam on Dec 8 back to FLL.

Because my Doc would prefer I do not fly ... our entire 62 day vacation could go down the tubes real quick. If I don't leave FLL on Oct 22 ... oh, I can't even think about it.

I feel so bad for all the cruisers who lost their planned trips ... never dreaming it is now my self-pity time. :(:(

Can someone pat me on the head and tell me the Veendam will be fixed and in FLL by Oct 22? Please.

Edited to say that DH said we COULD, if we have to, rent a car and drive out west. That would allow us to sail the Amsterdam back to FLL and rent a car to return home.

Edited by Linda&Vern

I feel worse for the crew who I'm assuming they are missing out on at least 3 cruises worth of gratuities. As tips are a HUGE part of their entire income, this could be extremely disappointing to them. Just hoping HAL can somehow help them out.

I am not surprised at this news. Given the information and the diagram of the propulsion system that Captain Albert posted on his blog, I could not imagine how such a complicated repair of whatever is wrong could be completed without the vessel being in drydock.

I truly am sorry for all of the propsective guests for the cruise that cannot be experienced.

I also am concerned about the Veendam's crew. I am sure HAL will do their best to keep them whole as to their basic remuneration.

A really sorry situation for all] involved: personal or corporate.

WOW ... this in turning into a real problem for us ... I never expected it to get this far. We are scheduled to sail Veendam from FLL on Oct 22 and disembark in San Diego. We have a condo rented in the southwest area for 30 days. We are then scheduled to sail the Amsterdam on Dec 8 back to FLL.

Because my Doc would prefer I do not fly ... our entire 62 day vacation could go down the tubes real quick. If I don't leave FLL on Oct 22 ... oh, I can't even think about it.

I feel so bad for all the cruisers who lost their planned trips ... never dreaming it is now my self-pity time. :(:(

Can someone pat me on the head and tell me the Veendam will be fixed and in FLL by Oct 22? Please.

Edited to say that DH said we COULD, if we have to, rent a car and drive out west. That would allow us to sail the Amsterdam back to FLL and rent a car to return home.

If Veendam isn't in FLL on the 22 I'm wondering if there isn't another ship going from Fl to SoCal. Even a non-HAL ship. Or maybe the train? Just a thought...

The next question is where will the ship be dry docked?

From my post #4:

The ship will sail under its own power without guests from Quebec to Philadelphia where the dry dock work will take place. All services and safety systems on the ship are fully operational.

If Veendam isn't in FLL on the 22 I'm wondering if there isn't another ship going from Fl to SoCal. Even a non-HAL ship. Or maybe the train? Just a thought...

I'm checking on those options. There is NCL out of Miami going to LA around that timeframe. Problem will be getting the right room. (FYI - We are booked on Veendam in a HDCP room you actually reviewed for Halfacts.)

Amtrak to Ft. Lauderale is roughly 4 nights with changes in either New York or Washington and again in Chicago with a final 3-hour connection LA to San Diego. You could leave in early November and/or spend some time in the connecting cities.

Roy

You could make that drive fun, if needed, Linda. Hit up Cajun country, Austin, New Mexico, a few national parks in Arizona and Nevada, then onward to Rt 1 then down to SD. Lots if neat sites, great food and warm weather.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. We live in the South, 3 hrs. from the ocean. This trip started as a joke ... "hey dear, let's see if we can drive to FLL and cruise to San Diego, drive to son's and spend 30 days with the grandkids, then cruise from San Diego back to FLL." Started researching and discovered we could actually do that pretty close to the dates we wanted. It snowballed from there. Reservations made, condo found and reserved, rental car for a month, etc. etc. My spreadsheet was complete.

Does anyone know how long it takes to fix a propeller in Philadelphia? What are the odds that the Veendam can be ready to sail from Boston on Oct 18 so it arrives in FLL on the 22?

Edited by Linda&Vern

Linda,

I feel awful to read your whole trip might be upside down. I sincerely hope they either get the propeller working in time for your cruise or you and DH can make alternative plans. Sending you all best wishes.

I'm checking on those options. There is NCL out of Miami going to LA around that timeframe. Problem will be getting the right room. (FYI - We are booked on Veendam in a HDCP room you actually reviewed for Halfacts.)

The NCL Star sailing out of MIA on October 20th sailing to Los Angeles has been basically sold out for a few months now. I just checked there is not a cabin to be booked.

I do honestly think they will get the ship repair in time to leave out of FLL

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS

The NCL Star sailing out of MIA on October 20th sailing to Los Angeles has been basically sold out for a few months now. I just checked there is not a cabin to be booked.

I do honestly think they will get the ship repair in time to leave out of FLL

Thanks Lisa. Last I checked there were insides available. That was a few days ago though. I don't think that would have worked for us ... unless I reserved two ... one for us, one for my scooter. :) On HAL we stay in Neptune Suites on larger ships or HDCP cabins on R&S class ships.

If Veendam can't sail by Oct 22 out of FLL - this propeller thing is going to have cost them a fortune!

Edited by Linda&Vern

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. We live in the South, 3 hrs. from the ocean. This trip started as a joke ... "hey dear, let's see if we can drive to FLL and cruise to San Diego, drive to son's and spend 30 days with the grandkids, then cruise from San Diego back to FLL." Started researching and discovered we could actually do that pretty close to the dates we wanted. It snowballed from there. Reservations made, condo found and reserved, rental car for a month, etc. etc. My spreadsheet was complete.

Does anyone know how long it takes to fix a propeller in Philadelphia? What are the odds that the Veendam can be ready to sail from Boston on Oct 18 so it arrives in FLL on the 22?

Whatever happens I doubt the Veendam would return to Boston. I think the odds of getting to Ft. Lauderdale by October 22 are excellent but even if ready by October 14 say, I don't think it would make sense to return to Boston. My guess is very few passengers would be boarding there.

Roy

It is not just a propeller. In the old days, there was a fixed pitch solid propeller on a shaft. Damaged props could be easily changed out with the vessel in the water in short order. Now, they are variable pitch and attached to pods both fixed and "azimuthing" (moveable). Extremely more complicated to repair. Just like your tv or oven. Way more complicated. In most cases, the ship will be in dry dock while the offending pod is removed and replaced with another. Guess what? All new cruise ships face the same issue.

Linda,

I feel awful to read your whole trip might be upside down. I sincerely hope they either get the propeller working in time for your cruise or you and DH can make alternative plans. Sending you all best wishes.

Thanks Sail. The 62-day plan all came together so easy. I hate the thought it might fall apart just as easily. Please HAL ... rush the propeller fix. :)