Do you need a passport out of Baltimore for the Southern Caribbean cruise?

LongHill44

2 adults with a 16 and 13 year old.

If so, would a passport card do or would you need an actual passport?

It seems from what I have read, if you do a loop and start and finish in the US you do not need a passport.

Thoughts?

You are fine with a birth certificate and valid ID for adults.

Personally, my DD (12) and I do have passport cards. I don't fly out of the US and just liked the convenience and cost of the passport card. You can drive to mexico or Canada with the passport card also. They are good for 10 years for adults and 5 years for 16 yrs and under.

It seems from what I have read, if you do a loop and start and finish in the US you do not need a passport.

Thoughts?

This is the worst group to ask this question on. Unless you want to be lectured, and hear stories of doom. :') Southern Caribbean and it is closed loop, you don't need a passport, unless you are going to CUBA, which you are not. A passport card works just fine, and is cheaper. Also, you BC is fine. You always need a photo ID whichever way you pick. Now sit back and wait for 100 different answers, with 90% of them to lecture you on gloom and doom if you don't have a passport book!

Thoughts?

As a general rule, a BC and official photo ID is all that is needed on closed loop cruises. Cuba is one port that requires a passport for entry and there may be a few others but in most cases the BC and drivers license is all you need. Now, caveat to that. While it is unlikely, but should you get hurt or sick and are at a port or have to be taken off the ship to go to the hospital, the ship obviously will not wait for you. So in that instance, however minute the chances are, you cannot fly back home with your BC. You will have to contact the US consulate/embassy and get a passport to be able to fly back home. Is it likely that scenario will happen, no, but it is a possibility. So the recommendation should always be to get an official passport prior to going out of the USA

Thoughts?

As per Carnival, no, a BC/ID would suffice. BUT...if you will be traveling frequently out of the country (or cruising), I would look into getting a passport. Some overseas ports of call require that you have a passport.

Thoughts?

This question has been asked numerous times. When on a closed loop cruise—starting and ending in the USA—-it is not required, but HIGHLY ADVISED TO HAVE ONE. The reason is, that things happen, and you may be required to fly back to the USA from an island. You will not be allowed to without a passport. Yes, you could go to the nearest embassy and have them expedite one, but if there was an emergency involved, that wastes precious time. Most people shrug it off and say it won’t happen to them, but it does. It happened to me. We had to leave a cruise on day 3 due to an emergency back home with one of our children, left in the care of grandparents. The cruise line was great—-getting close to an island and tendering us in. Someone was there to meet us, take us to a travel agent who had our tickets ready and waiting for us, then they proceeded to take us to airport. Would I have wanted to waste time in an embassy also? No way! Then there’s the case where people are late returning to ship and need to fly to home/next port. Things happen. Get passports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you have the money for two passport cards, use it instead for a full passport for the one who is 16 because it will be good for 10 years. Wait until the younger is 16 unless you plan travel outside the Caribbean and Mexican Riviera. EM

This is the worst group to ask this question on. Unless you want to be lectured, and hear stories of doom. :') Southern Caribbean and it is closed loop, you don't need a passport, unless you are going to CUBA, which you are not. A passport card works just fine, and is cheaper. Also, you BC is fine. You always need a photo ID whichever way you pick. Now sit back and wait for 100 different answers, with 90% of them to lecture you on gloom and doom if you don't have a passport book!

You are so right!!! It's like lecture city around here!! OP asked a question...Lets answer it OK?? Enough with the what ifs and doom and gloom scenarios... Post #2 answered it and it should have stopped there...Geez

if you do an Alaska cruise out of Seattle and have a stop in Canada, you will need a passport to get off the ship

No, if it's a closed loop cruise you can board with just a birth certificate and gov't ID just like in the Caribbean and you would be allowed off the ship in Canada. What might be an issue is some excursions do cross from the US into Canada and for those you would need something more than a BC, such as a passport card or EDL or passport, but that's only for some excursions.

Not US based (closed loop) cruises

Ignorance is bliss. Please check a reliable source for countries in Central and South America (like Colombia) that do require passports for cruisers on closed loop USA based cruises.

While Carnival may not have any itineraries that may visit some of these countries, it is better to be aware of blanket statements that insist a passport is not needed on any close loop USA cruise are false .