gratuity distribution

bbrule7

Very interesting.....as this questions comes up often on many boards.

Interesting to see the state room attendant..I don't know how many rooms they are responsible for on average..but if you use 10...they make easily $30,000 USD a year from tips....wow!

Interesting to see the state room attendant..I don't know how many rooms they are responsible for on average..but if you use 10...they make easily $30,000 USD a year from tips....wow!

Is your “WOW” a negative comment?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hope they do make that amount in tips! I'm assuming that's pre-tax. This has got to be a tough job. Away from your family for weeks at a time, stuck on a boat, very small personal quarters, anything customer service can be brutal. This will be my first cruise, but I don't need to have been on a ship before to know how some people behave to service workers. :D;p

I hope they do make that amount in tips! I'm assuming that's pre-tax. This has got to be a tough job. Away from your family for weeks at a time, stuck on a boat, very small personal quarters, anything customer service can be brutal. This will be my first cruise, but I don't need to have been on a ship before to know how some people behave to service workers. :D;p

The crew does work extremely hard, and very long hours. They are also away from their families up to 7 months at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In fact the the number is 14 and they have dispensed with his assistant. You are assuming everyone leaves their auto-gratuity in place which is far from reality.

not negative...amazed....average Canadian income is about $35,000 USD...so surprised to see that they could make as much or more than that...just in "tips" alone...didn't realize just how much those tips add up to!

I'm surprised by your response. The average CDN work week is 35 - 40 hours per week over 4 or 5 days, not 90 - 100 hours over 7 days continuous for a 6 month or longer period. also, consider how many gratuities are removed by passengers for whatever reason. I would calculate a 6 month contract at around $20,000. ($3.59 x 2 x 7 x 15 x 26 double occupancy, 15 staterooms 6 months)

not negative...amazed....average Canadian income is about $35,000 USD...so surprised to see that they could make as much or more than that...just in "tips" alone...didn't realize just how much those tips add up to!

Keep in mind that anything they purchase on board (drinks, gifts, etc) are taken from that check as well. And most end up sending the money back home to help support their families. We always give extra to our waiters, bartenders and cabin stewards in envelopes at the end of the trip if we feel they do a great job. I'd rather know they're getting the money than wonder about the sharing.

Looks like another Celebrity miss-step, the $ are off by .50 for CC, Aqua and Suites.

It was correct. There is a separate number for Aqua/CC which is 50cents higher. Or maybe my math is horribly off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you're estimating high. $3.59 per day per person, based on two people per stateroom, is $7.18 per stateroom, or $71.80 per day if they have 10 staterooms. That's $503 per week. Equal to about $12.55 per hour for 40 hours for a worker in the US.

They work about a 9 month term, if I recall correctly, so that's about 39 weeks. 39 x $503 is $19,601. Even if they worked 52 weeks a year it would be only $26,156 (I'm assuming we're averaging two people per stateroom, but it might be slightly higher than that).

Better yet if it is expressed as "tips" on their paycheck because many countries don't tax tips. The Philippines don't, maybe in order to encourage their excess workers to take just these kinds of jobs and bring money home.

It is nice to see X actually saying how the money is distributed.

These "how little the crew is paid" certainly reflect our first world problems IMHO

When you get a chance to leave a place where you may be making less than a US dollar an hour, you take it.

Working a week at min wage in Jamaica pays about $ 50.00 US a week.

A Nurse in India makes less than $ 4,000 US per year.

Just saying

minimum_wages_around_world-e1376934922852.png?w=240

How old is the chart?

Minimum hourly rate in Ontario is now $15 per hour.

Many of the staff on board have degrees but the pay at home is so low, that just about any job on board pays better.

We have talked to a bar server who makes $50,000 per year... whether that is typical or not was beyond the scope of our conversation.

Some staff will not work (are reluctant to take assignments) on ships that sail mostly in "non-tipping waters"

These "how little the crew is paid" certainly reflect our first world problems IMHO

When you get a chance to leave a place where you may be making less than a US dollar an hour, you take it.

Working a week at min wage in Jamaica pays about $ 50.00 US a week.

A Nurse in India makes less than $ 4,000 US per year.

Just saying

minimum_wages_around_world-e1376934922852.png?w=240

How old is the chart?

Minimum hourly rate in Ontario is now $15 per hour.

Many of the staff on board have degrees but the pay at home is so low, that just about any job on board pays better.

We have talked to a bar server who makes $50,000 per year... whether that is typical or not was beyond the scope of our conversation.

Some staff will not work (are reluctant to take assignments) on ships that sail mostly in "non-tipping waters"

The chart provides the rate for Canada, not Ontario, which is now $14. It jumps to $15 on January 1, 2019. That said, the lowest provincial minimum wage is Nova Scotia's $10.85 effective last April, so I agree, the chart must be quite dated.

The chart provides the rate for Canada, not Ontario, which is now $14. It jumps to $15 on January 1, 2019. That said, the lowest provincial minimum wage is Nova Scotia's $10.85 effective last April, so I agree, the chart must be quite dated.

The chart is from Aug 2013....

https://westkootenaylabourcouncil.wordpress.com/2013/08/20/the-u-s-has-a-7-25-minimum-wage-australias-is-16-88/

It still makes the point.