Credit card for onboard account

hiccups

I'm finally getting around to doing our check-in, and need to set up our onboard account. Does anyone know if any purchases charged to our onboard account would be subject to a foreign transaction fee? That would impact whether we register our joint AmEx card, or one of our personal Capital One cards.

The fee depends of the credit card. I would call both and ask them.

No, I know that the AmEx has a FTF but Capital One doesn't. I want to know how Azamara bills the charges.

You have choice.

Arrange to have it billed in local currency and let credit card do conversion but make sure no fee for this.

Sent from my ME371MG using Forums mobile app

I did just that on our TA in Sept 2016.

Our C.C did the conversion and I have one that does not charge a foreign transaction fee.

Yes, the charges all flow through Miami, thus in US currency. Not great when the Canadian dollar is so weak against the US!

I agree. I am being charged for the cruise in CDN, and for excursions I might book. Does this mean that the onboard account would be converted to CDN as well, or charged in USD and then converted in the usual way?

Any purchases we have made on board have been converted to US $. I believe all prices on board are US $.

The OBC from Azamara would be US $. The OBC we received from our TA I believe was also US $. The rebate cheque received from our TA was CAD $.

I seem to remember being asked at some stage to say whether I wanted to pay my bill on US$ or in my own currency. Obviously, as others have said, I always opt for US$ and let my credit card company do the conversion. My card company doesn't make a charge and always gives a good rate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I seem to remember being asked at some stage to say whether I wanted to pay my bill on US$ or in my own currency. Obviously, as others have said, I always opt for US$ and let my credit card company do the conversion. My card company doesn't make a charge and always gives a good rate.

Agree completely.

Agree , the cruise lines conversion is done by a company in Ireland. Probably depends on the cruise line. This company adds a percentage to the exchange rate for this service.

On my Xpress pass, there was a section for non-US residents with non-US credit cards to select how they would like the charges to be billed.

I used our AmEx card since it will be billed through the US.

On my Xpress pass, there was a section for non-US residents with non-US credit cards to select how they would like the charges to be billed.

I used our AmEx card since it will be billed through the US.

True, but I advise that you double-check this onboard. We are from the UK, with a UK credit card, and ticked the box on the Xpress pass to be billed in USD so that our bank could do the exchange. The check-in clerk also asked the question and we affirmed this. However, Azamara charged us in GBP. Fortunately it was a very small final bill, and so made little difference.

True, but I advise that you double-check this onboard. We are from the UK, with a UK credit card, and ticked the box on the Xpress pass to be billed in USD so that our bank could do the exchange. The check-in clerk also asked the question and we affirmed this. However, Azamara charged us in GBP. Fortunately it was a very small final bill, and so made little difference.

Absolutely- Just had that exact issue this morning. Overnight our check out bill came to my mailbox with Azamara doing the conversion at an awful rate. I made Guest relations look at my online checkin form. It had three stars and a highlighter pen on the fact I wanted my card company do the conversion. Even on a small bill it made a £8 difference so I have asked them to correct the transaction. It's not the money it's the principle for others of making sure the appropriate attention is paid when processing these forms

Yesterday I also used the "Contact Us" form on the Azamara website to verify. I like to get things in writing :)

Yesterday I also used the "Contact Us" form on the Azamara website to verify. I like to get things in writing :)

If you are from Ohio and are using a credit card from a US bank, why in the world would you be at all concerned that an American company would charge you in any currency besides US dollars?

Don't expect a quick response or any response at all and if you do get a response, good chance it will be wrong. Not sure what you even asked as you are US with a US credit card and will be billed in US dollars. Would not worry a bit about that. In the others case, they were Brits and why the incorrect conversion was used.

If you are from Ohio and are using a credit card from a US bank, why in the world would you be at all concerned that an American company would charge you in any currency besides US dollars?

Because when I first asked the question, I wasn't sure where the charges would be billed from--Azamara has a U.K. office and we'll be on a U.K. cruise. I appreciated that you answered, but really, I don't think it's necessary to chastise me or make me feel stupid for asking.

I sent the email to Azamara while I was waiting to see if anyone replied here. Belt and suspenders :)

Because when I first asked the question, I wasn't sure where the charges would be billed from--Azamara has a U.K. office and we'll be on a U.K. cruise. I appreciated that you answered, but really, I don't think it's necessary to chastise me or make me feel stupid for asking.

I sent the email to Azamara while I was waiting to see if anyone replied here. Belt and suspenders :)

And, after you first asked your question, I answered it in post #7, long before you sent your email to Azamara.

The people who have posted on this thread about being billed in Sterling are from the UK, not the US.

And, after you first asked your question, I answered it in post #7, long before you sent your email to Azamara.

The people who have posted on this thread about being billed in Sterling are from the UK, not the US.

Actually, no, I just didn't mention that I sent the email to Azamara. I sent it right after I first posted this thread because I realized if there was an issue, it would be best to have an answer from Azamara rather than from a message board.

You answered my question, and I thanked you right away, and I thank you again.

Actually, no, I just didn't mention that I sent the email to Azamara. I sent it right after I first posted this thread because I realized if there was an issue, it would be best to have an answer from Azamara rather than from a message board.

You answered my question, and I thanked you right away, and I thank you again.

Did you get an answer from Azamara?

Did you get an answer from Azamara?

Just got it!

"Thank you for contacting Azamara Club Cruises. I understand you have questions regarding onboard charges.

Onboard Azamara Ships all items will be charged in USD Dollars. No foreign transaction fees!

I hope this information is helpful, should you have questions about these changes, you can contact customer service at 1-877-999-9553."