Your favourite thing to do in Florence.

LM63

Hey everyone,

I've been posting about doing a tour to Florence & it got me wondering what others really enjoyed doing there.

Did you enjoy a particular museum or gallery? A visit to a certain church? Maybe just wandering around & soaking up the atmosphere. Or something completely different.

Would really like to hear what was your favourite thing(s) to do.

Cheers

LM

There are two things I've done every time I've gone to Florence (four trips). First, I like to climb to the top of Brunelleschi's dome at the Duomo. It's an evocative climb, tight spaces, timbers at your head and you can easily imagine what it must have been like for the light keeper to climb up there holding a lantern. On the way up you get an up-close chance to see the Last Judgement frescos. At the end of the climb you're rewarded with a 360° view of Florence.

My other "must do" in Florence is a walk described in an Eyewitness Guide from about 15 years ago (it might be in the current edition as well, for all I know). It starts at the Ponte Vecchio and climbs up the hill to Ft. Belvedere (passing Galileo's house on the way). From there it continues through an amazingly quiet area, so close to the noise and activity of the city, down to the Porta San Miniato. Here you walk through a little neighborhood until you come to a large set of stone steps, the Scalea del Monte alle Croci, according to google maps. It's a bit of a slog up to the top of the stairs (I've been passed by nonne carrying their groceries, so maybe it's just me) but you are rewarded at the top with a lovely and short (a tenth of a mile) tree-lined walk to the beautiful San Miniato al Monte.

I've done this walk in the spring, the fall, and winter, even once in the snow and it never fails to inspire me.

I was just recently in Florence again with my adult son for several days.

Although it is probably the #1 tourist attraction, Michelangelo's David never fails to delight me. I went this time thinking it would be "old hat" but no -- it remains just as awe-inspiring as the first time I saw it more almost 40 years ago. (It didn't hurt that we were there in late November, and the museum was relatively quiet and free of crowds...)

My other favorite spot is the Baptistery of the Duomo. The Duomo itself seems cold, but the wonderful gold mosaics in the Baptistery, its smaller size, and Romanesque architecture appeal to me. I also like to think of Dante being baptized here (he mentions it in the Divine Comedy). Of course, one must also visit the original bronze doors of the Baptistery by Ghiberti that are now viewable in the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo nearby ("Opera" meaning "works" in Italian, not the singing type!)

We did a day trip to Florence, during our pre cruise stay in Rome. We were there for about 7 hours and we had nothing planned, just a map and a walking tour. We enjoyed our time there very much, just wandering around, and soaking up the entire thinking of Florence. We liked the Ponte Vecho very much, just really most shops were way, way overpriced. We stopped, ate some gelato, wandered around some more. sat and ate lunch just people watching and ate some more gelato.

Just a wonderful day and we did see most of the sights.

Cheers

Len

Among my favorites in Florence:

Baptistry (I visit each time when in Florence)

Uffizi Gallery - paradise if you are a fan of Italian Renaissance art

Basilica of Santa Croce

Santa Maria Novella Pharmacy (touted as the oldest pharmacy in the world & I love visiting for both the history & the perfumes - it is interesting to sample the same perfume recipe that the Medici's used. Very strong scent to cover body odor - in those days bathing was infrequent.:)

Of course, they sell a wide variety of scents today.)

They all sound like wonderful things to do.

I imagine climbing to the top of Brunelleschi's Dome is arduous but the reward of breath taking views would be worth it (if your knees & hips are up to it).

The walk from Ponte Vecchio to Ft. Belvedere then up to San Miniato al Monte sounds like a beautiful walk. I have been looking at a similar walk up to Ft. Belvedere, then to Giardino Barbini. Not quite so far but a nice walk anyway I believe.

A visit to Michelangelo's David I've heard is a must do.

The interior of the Baptistery looks amazing in photo's so I'm sure actually seeing it in person would be incredible.

Wandering around, soaking up Florence, eating gelato & people watching sounds very enjoyable to me.

The Uffizi Gallery, would be interesting & appeals to me.

Basilica of Santa Croce looks fantastic.

Santa Maria Novella Pharmacy, touted the oldest pharmacy in the world, now that's something completely different to do.

Well these tick all the boxes of things I love to do/see eg. architecture, art, history, scenic walks/views, culture, people watching & gelato mmm.

I think I'm going to like Florence :)

I visited Florence for the 1st time last summer and I have to say DAVID............what an amazing statue........unbelievably life like............seeing him was the definitely the highlight of my day.:)

After a number of visits I think that now one of our favourite things to do is enjoy a glass of wine at an outdoor cafe, watch the light change as the sun sets, and see the twinkling of the lights as the city moves from dusk to night. We have done the same thing from Fiesole-just outside and overlooking Florence. It is magical. A great way to do a time out and simply watch the world go by.

Loved the market. Purchased my favourite soft leather wallet in a small shop outside the main business area where they stamped my initials into it. They are known for their leather in Florence so all kinds of items to choose from. Found my favourite Italian cookbook in a book shop across from the market. Had the most amazing pasta dish ever at an outdoor cafe in the square. My husband wants to live there. lol

My favorite thing to do is travel outside of Florence and visit the walled city of Siena. To me it is magical...we did both on our last trip...love David and Duomo, but Siena is where I feel at home! Lots of great shopping, restaurants and history that comes alive...I am with the poster above whose DH wants to live there...for me Siena, not Florence.

Florence was underwhelming to me. Probably a bad combination of being tired, grey weather, and about 50 too many Madonna and child paintings at the Uffizi. I’ll second, however, that Sienna is amazing. Loved it.

We did have two outstanding meals in Florence. Pizza Napoli 1955, a block from the Uffizi, and Natalino, recommended by the expat that owns Pizza Napoli.