Alaska cruise-northbound or southbound? Ships to avoid?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:01 PM.
Wasilla, Alaska
3,728 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by PAKathy
Important part of this cruise is just being together as a family and exposing the grands to the wonders of cruising and of course the beauty and vastness of Alaska.
We have similar priorities. DH and I are taking 2 grandkids (11 years old). Being with them (alone without other family so we can kind of spoil them), exposure to cruising, and seeing a different part of Alaska other than where we all live...those are our priorities!
NW
25 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
Originally posted by j in tx
i am getting overwhelmed researching Alaska cruises. Do any of you have strong feelings about choosing northbound or southbound cruises (pros or cons) ? Also, any ships to avoid? Or consider?
Thanks for any advice!
As a Seattle native I've always preferred the Northbound travel (whether by our WA state ferries to San Juans, Alaska Ferry from Bellingham, WA) or the 1-way cruise to Whittier (from Vancouver) last June. I think the landscape gets "more wild" as you move north, and am not sure if the landscape would be a let-down starting with the awesome Glaciers.
Also - YES to what others have said preferring covered Princess ships; we did Star last June.
And YES to Glacier bay, if possible.

But, MANY folks say do land tour first if doing that.. and rest afterwards. Have fun planning!
56 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
J - I hope you don't mind a fellow Texan jumping in, but it's on the same lines. I booked us the Northern route Vancouver to Whittier then plan on renting a vehicle and doing our own land tour to Denali and maybe Fairbanks. Anyone done this?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature