Black spots on shorts/pants after aqua show on Oasis.

Has anyone else experienced this. Our family of 9 had 7 of us covered in black spots all over our backsides and some down the pants. After returning home and soaked in oxy and scrubbed with cleaner there are now rust looking spots in some parts. The black come off for the most part (still some on my green capris), but the rust will not budge. We complained to guest services but now I have to take it further. What the heck is this stuff??? Guest services said it was NOT soot from the ship.

I have warned a friend that is going on the Allure in January to take towels to sit on so this doesn't happen to them.

Probably soot. The Aqua Theater is behind the funnel. You will notice when the ship starts up to leave port that a good big puff or two of black smoke come out of the funnel. That smoke is soot, which must settle somewhere, and it's probably settling on the outdoor seats.

Probably soot. The Aqua Theater is behind the funnel. You will notice when the ship starts up to leave port that a good big puff or two of black smoke come out of the funnel. That smoke is soot' date=' which must settle somewhere, and it's probably settling on the outdoor seats.[/quote']

That is what I thought it was but guest services told me that they use something that comes out clear? What a load of BS! Why would soot turn to rust though when washed in some spots? Also why don't they have a warning or towels to wipe down the seats before you sit in them? We can't be the only family this has happened to.:confused:

That is what I thought it was but guest services told me that they use something that comes out clear? What a load of BS! Why would soot turn to rust though when washed in some spots? Also why don't they have a warning or towels to wipe down the seats before you sit in them? We can't be the only family this has happened to.:confused:

I think the majority of the ships airborne emissions ARE clear, kind of like what comes from your car's tailpipe, but I have seen that big black puff of soot when they start the engines on every ship I've ever cruised on. I don't know why the black soot spots would get rusty-colored when washed, but maybe it's sort of like an oil stain.

Imo if that happened to us & after speaking to the customer Relations personnel , I would then ask to see the Hotel director . Yes ,that black soot will damage clothing as you have experienced .:(

Also imo RCCL is responsible & for NOT pre warning their customers, of this hazard :mad:

Your choice ;but ,I would write a letter to Michael Bailey ,President & CEO of Royal Caribbean (you can get their address by Googling for it ) . You most likely will get a reply :)

Given the location of the Aqua Theater, I really don't know what else it could be other than soot.

As to why it changed to a rust color in the wash...that'll have to be explained by an Engineer. Chengkp75, you around?

We think it is soot also, but no idea either about the rust.

Imo if that happened to us & after speaking to the customer Relations personnel , I would then ask to see the Hotel director . Yes ,that black soot will damage clothing as you have experienced .:(

Also imo RCCL is responsible & for NOT pre warning their customers, of this hazard :mad:

They have not got back to us but I will be calling soon.

Your choice ;but ,I would write a letter to Michael Bailey ,President & CEO of Royal Caribbean (you can get their address by Googling for it ) . You most likely will get a reply :)

Thank you I am hoping it will not come to that.

I had the soot bad on Empress. It was even in my bed. When I got home I used simple green. Soaked for 10 min. Then sprayed more on the spots then into the washer. Tide Cold water, washers stain clean on high. It all came out. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Given the location of the Aqua Theater, I really don't know what else it could be other than soot.

As to why it changed to a rust color in the wash...that'll have to be explained by an Engineer. Chengkp75, you around?

Ask and you shall receive, oh mighty Coastie!

More than metal oxides, which while highly reactive are nanosized in exhaust gas, I would blame the sulfur oxides and inorganic salts that form in combustion. I don't believe the stains are "rust" but a reaction between the dye in the clothes and an inorganic salt in the soot.

Yes, the diesels on ships will puff a black smoke when started, just like trucks and buses do when starting from a stoplight. Once the turbocharger is up to speed, enough air is supplied to ensure complete combustion and the smoke clears. I'm not sure if Oasis has had her scrubbers completed, and even if they are, they don't have to run them when the ship is outside the North American ECA, but the scrubbers will dramatically reduce particulate emissions. A lot of soot is generated when they clean the boiler heating surfaces, and the diesel turbochargers at night, to remove the soot that builds up there, and affects efficiency. Typically, they will check the wind direction and swing the ship onto a new heading, if needed, to get the wind going from side to side to carry the soot away, but sometimes this isn't possible.

Write a letter to the President over some Capri pants...Seriously??? Come On.

Has anyone else experienced this. Our family of 9 had 7 of us covered in black spots all over our backsides and some down the pants. After returning home and soaked in oxy and scrubbed with cleaner there are now rust looking spots in some parts. The black come off for the most part (still some on my green capris), but the rust will not budge. We complained to guest services but now I have to take it further. What the heck is this stuff??? Guest services said it was NOT soot from the ship.

I have warned a friend that is going on the Allure in January to take towels to sit on so this doesn't happen to them.

I got it on a shirt our first night on Oasis a few months ago while watching the show. It was soot and did come out.

I think the majority of the ships airborne emissions ARE clear' date=' kind of like what comes from your car's tailpipe, but I have seen that big black puff of soot when they start the engines on every ship I've ever cruised on. I don't know why the black soot spots would get rusty-colored when washed, but maybe it's sort of like an oil stain.[/quote']

Had the same problem on a HAL cruise, soot and when washed the spots became orange color like rust color, maybe depends on the fabric, still orange spots on my dress.

We were on Harmony in April and the soot raining down was terrible. It was all over the pool deck and in the pool water. They had to close the pools. And again on Harmony in Sept in the 2 bed Aqua Theater on deck 8 soot all over the balcony many mornings and when dining on deck at times we could smell it. Under normal operating conditions the exhaust is like a neon lime green color so weird.

We were on Oasis in Nov. 2016 and this never happened to us, but all 6 of us had this on Harmony in June, 2017. We all got the soot marks the first night at the aqua show. I couldn't get the marks completely out at home and neither could my parents, who were with us. I covered my clothes with a towel the next time we went to the aqua show.

This happened to us on the Allure. My wife was wearing white shorts and they were really bad. we went back to our cabin. I brought a Clorox laundry stain stick with us and spent about 20 min cleaning the shorts and they came out as white as they were before it happened. she was able to wear them later that week.

Last time we were on Allure, staff were wiping soot off the seats in the Aqua Theater and they told people not to sit unless the seat had been wiped down. It happens often and you just have to be aware of it. Same thing happened on HAL balconies when we sailed that line. It's just part of cruising, IMO.

Ask and you shall receive, oh mighty Coastie!

More than metal oxides, which while highly reactive are nanosized in exhaust gas, I would blame the sulfur oxides and inorganic salts that form in combustion. I don't believe the stains are "rust" but a reaction between the dye in the clothes and an inorganic salt in the soot.

Yes, the diesels on ships will puff a black smoke when started, just like trucks and buses do when starting from a stoplight. Once the turbocharger is up to speed, enough air is supplied to ensure complete combustion and the smoke clears. I'm not sure if Oasis has had her scrubbers completed, and even if they are, they don't have to run them when the ship is outside the North American ECA, but the scrubbers will dramatically reduce particulate emissions. A lot of soot is generated when they clean the boiler heating surfaces, and the diesel turbochargers at night, to remove the soot that builds up there, and affects efficiency. Typically, they will check the wind direction and swing the ship onto a new heading, if needed, to get the wind going from side to side to carry the soot away, but sometimes this isn't possible.

Very impressive! thanks for the reply. The worst stains are on my 2 daughters white denim shorts. They soaked and scrubbed but still the rust covered spots were left. I found 2 of those spots on one of my husbands favourite white casual shirt and soaked it in “white brite”. They came out! I am going to tell them to try this as well. They both live in different towns otherwise I could have done it. I know there is also a product called “Iron out” that may work also. Not sure about using it on beige pants though in case it bleaches the colour out.

I really appreciate all your replies and am sorry it happened to some of you too. If I can avoid going through all the bureaucracy of taking this further I will.

When Oasis of the Seas first started sailing, this was a very common complaint. Thought they had permanently solved it, since haven't heard any similar complaints over the last few years. Looks like it may have been an operational procedure that Chengkp75 referred to.