Another Question About Qantas Carry On Luggage Restrictions

I am posting this question on this board as I know that many of you fly Qantas.

A few months ago I asked some questions about carry on personal item.

Now I have a question about the size of a carry on item that would fit above the seat.

We will be flying business class between Australia and New Zealand to visit family in Australia.

I know you have a choice of one carry on of one size or two that are each smaller than the one.

I have a carry on that meets the Qantas Requirement of 111 cm (45 in) = 56cm (22 in)L + 36 cm (14 in) H = 23 cm (9 in) D

However, with items in the luggage I am sure it will be above 7kg (15 lb) and closer to 12 kg (around 26 pounds)

It is hard for me to believe that most people are not in this situation.

My question is if the weight of my luggage is 12 kg/26 lbs, do they really weight the carry on luggage or not and what has been your experience.

Worst case I can pack it to check it in but if we can avoid that all the better.

I really appreciate actual experiences.

Thank you.

Keith

I read on the Australian Frequently Flyer forum that Qantas has begun weighing carry on bags on some flights, and including business class.

I have never seen it on Qantas myself, but have not flown recently.

Not sure if the link will work, but here it is:

https://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/qantas-hand-luggage-crackdown/

Personally I would welcome checks of carryon luggage. I am astounded sometimes when I see the size and weight of some of the carryon luggage that is taken on board flights these days. You get a little tired of these passengers hogging all the above head locker space. While I realise that not all passengers are at fault, unfortunately it is becoming more and more the norm.

We fly QANTAS fairly often, the last time was only a month ago. So far, we have never had our hand luggage weighed. I have noticed that where passengers have the allowed two pieces (for instance a roll-along and a largish handbag) they are asked to put the smaller one under the seat in front.

However, with items in the luggage I am sure it will be above 7kg (15 lb) and closer to 12 kg (around 26 pounds)

It is hard for me to believe that most people are not in this situation.

Most people are indeed not in this situation because most of us are perfectly capable of complying with airline requirements no matter where we fly in the world.

It's really not as complex as you are making it out to be. If you have 5 kilos too much (and that is a whopping amount) then put that in your checked luggage. No one needs immediate access to 12 kilos of 'stuff' while they are sitting in a plane.

And yes - Aus airlines do indeed weigh and measure carryon. I have witnessed many people forced to weigh carryon at check in stage (especially those thinking they are being clever and concealing a bag from the check in team), and have also seen them sent back from the gate to check in oversized or overweight carryon.

Not me personally because I own a luggage scale and pack properly !!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I take a small laptop, Nikon DSLR camera with one large lens, some clothes, jewellery and I stay within the 7kg limit. Our carry-on is an ultra light weight. I do have a personal handbag but it is for iPad and my plastic bag with under 100ml items. I fly business class.

We are just used to making sure we stay within the carry-on limits here in Australia. But I have no concern about putting things in a checked bag, apart from valuables. It always astounds me when I travel in the USA the size of the carry-on bags. I am guessing the weight is quite large as well. We also use a luggage scale to be on the safe side.

Julie

Absolutely agree, very easy to follow the rules. I fly Qantas quite often, in fact 3 times this week - busy week.

The main reason I was given by Qantas to maintain the 7kg limit, is that if there is an issue where the overhead lockers open in flight, 7kg is heavy enough to cause serious injury. Imagine what 12 kg would do. Let alone the overhead locker hoggers!!

Flying international (New Zealand) increases your chances of check in staff questioning the carry on bag.

I have often seen Qantas staff at the boarding gate take away bags from passengers that are deemed to be either too big, too many bags, eg carry on, suit bag, large laptop bag. A bit embarrassing, so I would check it in.

Thank you all for your input.

We are ones that follow rules which is why I posted this to begin with. The only exception might be if people posted saying that they have this rule but no one follows it because it is understood that it is one that is not enforced.

Before I posted this anticipating that this might be one that people follow I had already planned to check in our carry on bag(s) because the kind we use would weigh significantly more and is one that we have taken on most airlines around the world as many do not have this type of weight requirement that Qantas has. Many that we fly have a weight limit significantly greater then this.

I will take a backpack on the plane and my wife a large purse with items that we can't check (medications, computer, jewelry, other electronic devices, etc.).

Thank you again.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Given that you're flying business, you'll have much more overhead locker space to fit two carry-on bags. It's only when flying economy that one has to fit the second bag under the front of their seat, unless your seat is bulkhead or exit row. All bags must be in overhead lockers when seated at bulkhead and exit row seats in economy.

We never bother to weigh our carry-on bags when flying either domestic or international. Qantas has never bothered to weigh our bags either. I usually take one wheeled carry-on and one pack-safe and my partner takes a wheeled carry-on and one backpack when flying international. We've never had any trouble taking these on-board on Qantas international flights - flying mostly premium economy, some business and some economy.

Remember, as you're flying to New Zealand, this is considered international and as such, you'll have all the liquid and powder restrictions applied to your carry-on luggage. So this restricts what and how much you can take in these bags anyway. This is just in case you were intending taking only carry-on luggage for your trip.

So I was curious and checked the airlines I use. Singapore Airlines, Qantas, Virgin Australia (long haul international), Emirates and Qatar all in business class. In all but one exception they state you can have two pieces of carry-on but not exceeding 7kgs each. The only exception was Qatar which allows two pieces with a total weight of 15kgs.

I guess that is why I have got used to travelling with a carry-on bag weighing no more then 7kgs and check bags. I guess it comes down to what you are used to.

Julie

Edited by frantic36

Although this was not your question, I will make the comment that we have found that (currently) the NZ Security personnel are the toughest on what gels/liquids etc passengers have to put in the plastic zip lock bags to go separately through the scanner. They insist that all lipsticks, mascara etc go in the plastic bag. In other countries these can be left in their original container. A year or so ago in the US I was starting to pack my moisturisers etc on a plastic bag when a security person came over and said "You don't have to do that any more". I was pleasantly surprised. But, the Kiwis still insist on everything going into the plastic bags. I have had a Kiwi security woman search my make-up bag because I had a second mirror. This is simply because the one glued onto the lid is at such an angle that it is not usable unless the case is held up at eye level.

I have seen cabin stewardesses on Qantas actually assist a passenger trying to lift a back pack into an overhead locker. It was too heavy for the individual to lift it himself. At Brisbane airport for the past couple of years I have seen airport security checking weight and size of cabin baggage before the screening process. If the bag is heavy I have seen passengers sent back to unladen some of it.

So I was curious and checked the airlines I use. Singapore Airlines, Qantas, Virgin Australia (long haul international), Emirates and Qatar all in business class. In all but one exception they state you can have two pieces of carry-on but not exceeding 7kgs each. The only exception was Qatar which allows two pieces with a total weight of 15kgs.

I guess that is why I have got used to travelling with a carry-on bag weighing no more then 7kgs and check bags. I guess it comes down to what you are used to.

Julie

Julie, yes you are right.

We fly a lot using one of the USA airlines and to the best of my knowledge they have no weight limitations on the carry on. We also use British Airways on some selected international flights such as in Europe and as best I can figure out their limit it 23 kg's.

I believe my carry on is 3.6 kg before even putting anything in it.

Anyway, as I often say it is what it is and I will just check the bag in and carry on the items we have mentioned.

I was just trying to avoid having to go to baggage claim when we arrive but we will do just that. :D

Keith

Hi Keith,

Given that you're flying business, you'll have much more overhead locker space to fit two carry-on bags. It's only when flying economy that one has to fit the second bag under the front of their seat, unless your seat is bulkhead or exit row. All bags must be in overhead lockers when seated at bulkhead and exit row seats in economy.

We never bother to weigh our carry-on bags when flying either domestic or international. Qantas has never bothered to weigh our bags either. I usually take one wheeled carry-on and one pack-safe and my partner takes a wheeled carry-on and one backpack when flying international. We've never had any trouble taking these on-board on Qantas international flights - flying mostly premium economy, some business and some economy.

Remember, as you're flying to New Zealand, this is considered international and as such, you'll have all the liquid and powder restrictions applied to your carry-on luggage. So this restricts what and how much you can take in these bags anyway. This is just in case you were intending taking only carry-on luggage for your trip.

Thank you so much for your input including the issues about liquids for the trip.

Keith

Julie, yes you are right.

We fly a lot using one of the USA airlines and to the best of my knowledge they have no weight limitations on the carry on. We also use British Airways on some selected international flights such as in Europe and as best I can figure out their limit it 23 kg's.

Anyway, as I often say it is what it is and I will just check the bag in and carry on the items we have mentioned.

I was just trying to avoid having to go to baggage claim when we arrive but we will do just that. :D

Keith

Personally, I would get a different bag for carry on. That seems rather excessively heavy for a bag, my large bag that I use for check-in luggage isn't even that heavy and it has castors.

Personally, I would get a different bag for carry on. That seems rather excessively heavy for a bag, my large bag that I use for check-in luggage isn't even that heavy and it has castors.

Actually this one is lighter than my previous one. I love it.

Now I got the weight off my order from Amazon.Com. It could be slightly less as that might include packaging. :D

I do have a lot of electronics that I take with me on trip from cameras to computer and other devices.

The good news is what is most important is we love to travel and will make this work. :D

We also love Australia and New Zealand.

Keith

Keith

Thats a seriously heavy carry-on bag empty. I don't own any heavier than 1.2kg and they are wheeled duffles and wheeled mini cases. Even my checked bags all weigh around 2.5kg or less empty. You are already depriving yourself of half your weight allowance. Much more practical to invest in lighter weight carryon bags. You will find the majority of airlines around the world have far stricter requirements to the US (which is seriously lax but eventually someone will get a broken neck from a gigantor sized bag flying out of an overhead during turbulence and sue an airline - that will get them bringing in size and weight restrictions speedily!!).

Thats a seriously heavy carry-on bag empty. I don't own any heavier than 1.2kg and they are wheeled duffles and wheeled mini cases. Even my checked bags all weigh around 2.5kg or less empty. You are already depriving yourself of half your weight allowance. Much more practical to invest in lighter weight carryon bags. You will find the majority of airlines around the world have far stricter requirements to the US (which is seriously lax but eventually someone will get a broken neck from a gigantor sized bag flying out of an overhead during turbulence and sue an airline - that will get them bringing in size and weight restrictions speedily!!).

Folks all I did was ask a simple question.

As I said I might be wrong on the weight that I quoted but either way with my items in the bag it does not work so we wil check it.

Right now my carry on is packed for another upcoming trip but when I get home I will be sure to weight it with nothing inside and report back here.

As to checked bags we use 28" and 29" bags and I believe (I will have to weight them the next time) when they are empty the weight is probably around 4.0 kg's.

Thank you all again.

I got my answer.

That is all I needed. ;p

Maybe it is those of us from the USA but I have assisted people on our flights who have carry on's and many weigh a lot more than mine ever will.

Keith

Keith, I just returned from the Crystal Panama Canal cruise. We flew Qantas economy both ways - Sydney to SF and NY/LA/Sydney. There were no checks on weight or size of carry-ons. Mine is standard carry-on size but I do pack a fair bit into it. ;p On the NY to LA sector I did notice one guy pull a "carry-on" out of an overhead locker that looked like a full-sized suitcase. :eek:

Keith, I just returned from the Crystal Panama Canal cruise. We flew Qantas economy both ways - Sydney to SF and NY/LA/Sydney. There were no checks on weight or size of carry-ons. Mine is standard carry-on size but I do pack a fair bit into it. ;p On the NY to LA sector I did notice one guy pull a "carry-on" out of an overhead locker that looked like a full-sized suitcase. :eek:

Thank you so much for the feedback. It is very much appreciated.

I am sorry that we didn't end up on your sailing. We originally booked it but ended up changing to another voyage due to concerns about the high temperatures in some of the ports for my wife.

I hope that you enjoyed a very nice sailing.

Thank you again.

Keith

You're welcome. Of course there are no guarantees that Qantas won't start checking carry-on weights on US flights but on our flights they didn't.

We enjoyed the cruise and the ship very much but, yes, some of the ports were very hot and humid so you were wise to cancel if your wife can't handle those conditions. Charleston just about wiped me out!

I flew on Qantas to Auckland this year and despite them saying they would weigh carry on they didn't:o. I admit my carry on bag was a little over. It is not necessarily that you need all the items on hand but there are things you just don't trust to put in your check in;p. You know a good tip if you want to check the weight of your bags is to get on your bathroom scales weigh yourself, then get on the scales again holding the bag whose weight you want to know than take that weight and subtract it from your first weigh. The difference is the weight of your bag:D.