has any one had a room assigned day of boarding

mc53

Has any one had their room assigned when they have boarded the ship?

I am looking at a South Pacific cruise on Celebrity solstice and they are offering a guaranteed veranda stateroom at a cheaper price which will be assigned to you on boarding

I have previously been on this ship before in veranda room with partially obstructed view on deck 6. (we looked down on to tender boats) and it didn't really bother us I thought it was a lovely ship.

I thought maybe we would be assigned the lowest deck with Veranda rooms,and we really don't car if it is at the back of the ship.

I don't think we could go wrong would be interested to know if any one else has been assigned rooms this way..

Generally now if Celebrity is offering GTY before or right around final payment they assign the cabin generally within a couple of weeks. Of course they have the option of not assigning until the day of sailing but generally they use GTY to fill areas which are not selling well.

Through the years we have done guarantee cabins three times, and always had the cabin assigned relatively quickly. We never had them assigned at the pier.

This has been my experience, within hours to 48 hours. Also, I've even had a hold guarantee assigned while still on hold!

To answer your first question, no, I've never had a cabin assigned on the day of departure. Like others have said I've had them assigned within a couple days of booking and once/twice about 30 days from sailing.

As far as booking a guarantee, it can be a great deal as long as you are not picky about the particular cabin or location you should be OK. When booking a guarantee I think of the worst cabin I've ever had, imagine a worse one and if I'm OK with that will book a guarantee. I've been assigned a 2D, a 2C and the best was a 2B.

You often read on this forum about someone who was not happy with what they were assigned, no sympathy for them as they knew what they were signing up for and decide to complain afterwards.

Good luck, your cruise is on my list... just need to find the time.

Through the years we have done guarantee cabins three times, and always had the cabin assigned relatively quickly. We never had them assigned at the pier.

Agree, I think the OP might have misunderstood as Celebrity always assigns cabins beforehand for Guarantee Cabins. Sometimes only a week in advance but always in advance

PS Never had a bad deal on GTY, I think I have done 10 of them from X to XC to W and all were an excellent buy

My TA papers said this below but I got it assigned way before I checked in.

You have booked a guarantee cabin. You will receive your cabin assignment when you check in for your cruise, and your cabin may be located on any deck of the ship. Below is the description of your guarantee cabin(s):

TBD - Inside Stateroom - guarantee

This cruise is from Australia so maybe the room assignments could be done differently.

I am thinking if the worst comes to the worst I will get deck 6 with a partially obstructed view.

I think I would prefer that to an interior room or ocean view .

thank you for your responses, I think I will go for the special, I have only been on 3 cruises but this is my favourite ship, so it may not be the best room but I am sure I will still enjoy it.

:)