Pants or Nice Shorts for husband in restaurants?

Noreen411

Actually, just checked the web site and it has been changed, it now reads under smart casual that men should wear long sleeve shirts. Did not say this a couple of weeks ago..I predict this will not last long if it's ever enforced.

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or jeans with a long sleeve sport shirt.

Considering there were people wearing regular t shirts on the second evening chic night I don't think the maitre 'd's care either. :)

I suspect Miami have instructed them not to upset pax regardless.

I am on the solstice right now and it says LONG SLEEVE SPORT SHIRT, for Smart Casual.

this was our experience also, we only ate in the MDR one evening, but there was sign outside also, referring to the long sleeve sport shirt. Luckily, on this trip we brought all long sleeved oxfords for my DH, as the whole ozone thing in NZ/Aus made it more practical. Are you having overnights? We had two, in Melbourne & Sydney, & they allowed shorts in the Sushi restaurant on those nights.

Cheers, & enjoy :)

Actually, just checked the web site and it has been changed, it now reads under smart casual that men should wear long sleeve shirts. Did not say this a couple of weeks ago..I predict this will not last long if it's ever enforced.

Does this mean you can’t wear a long sleeve dress shirt.

In its own inimitable style, Celebrity has chosen (or accidentally?) changed the wording on the US site, but the Canadian site still says:

• Pants or jeans with a sports shirt that has sleeves.

Previously, posters have put on this board pictures of the section of the dress code from the dailies on several ships..

I was wondering if it was just in the dailies or whether they are putting a sign up by the entrance of the MDR reflecting this amendment to the dress code.

The Australian website says smart casual includes "

Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves"

No mention of long sleeves anywhere

EDIT: It actually says exactly the same thing when I view the US website. I have to change my country to United States before I see any mention of long sleeves.

Did they enforce it ?

I honestly don’t know :) We only ate in the MDR that one night & Steve was wearing a long sleeved button down, so no problem. I believe this was the first sailing that they started the new “rule” & with no prior warning I don’t see how they could enforce it. Now that it’s on the website it’s anyone’s guess ;)

We tend to book cold weather trips so it works for us since his daywear is long sleeved but I could see this being annoying on a Caribbean or Bermuda itinerary where men are wearing polo type shirts with short sleeves

My personal feeling is that this is first world problems & we’ll just leave the short sleeves at home. :D

Edited by cruise kitty
darn autocorrect

I did read the rules and this was not meant to start a tedious thread. If you feel that way, you can just skip over it.

I was looking for people’s actual experience since it often differs from the posted rules.

My recent cruise on Anthem we saw many people in shorts and t shirts for dinner in Coastal Kitchen and I want to know what to expect on Celebrity.

Many people responded with factual info of their experiences which was what I was looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here is an actual experience from the Eclipse in October 2017:

We stayed in Bermuda where men wear "Bermuda shorts"... well, some of passengers thought what's good for Bermuda is good for the dining room...

Mistake, they had to change into long pants...

I hope that answers your question...

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Also actual experience was on Celebrity eclipse January. Must wear pants for dinner. Again I don’t get it, what is the big deal? my 6 year old grandson dislikes pants that are cargo or sweat type pants, but on chic night he understands for a couple of hours he wears slacks. We get him baggies with a stretch waist. If a 6 year old can adjust, I don’t understand why an adult cannot

Personal experience: We were on the Infinity Panama Canal cruise with friends from Quebec. He was the retired Minister of Finance for the Province and we had gone on a shore X that day. We met up for dinner and neither my DH or I or HIS DW noticed that he was still wearing his Bermuda shorts! He was very quietly and discreetly reminded that shorts were not allowed at dinner and would he please go change, which of course he did and we all had a good laugh about it.

I don’t understand what a sports shirt is. Certainly it’s guy clothes. Would that be a dress shirt?

A buttoned down shirt with collar, long or short sleeves, would be an acceptable dress shirt in addition to golf/polo shirt.

Also actual experience was on Celebrity eclipse January. Must wear pants for dinner. Again I don’t get it, what is the big deal? my 6 year old grandson dislikes pants that are cargo or sweat type pants, but on chic night he understands for a couple of hours he wears slacks. We get him baggies with a stretch waist. If a 6 year old can adjust, I don’t understand why an adult cannot

It's the same people on these boards who for some reason are not happy enough to do as they please but like to give advice to others to make them appear as childish as they are. I wonder how many people have felt embarrassed when they show up for dinner because they have listened to some bad advice.